• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Build: Rolex Explorer II 1655

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Update: I'm waiting for the BP base watch and Tiger hands. Already received the Viet bezel and sternkreuz crystal. In order to relume the dial of the watch which product should I use?
Mate, no one can see your new posts, you need to take out a ticket at The RWI Help Desk and fix your dual account issue.

AlphaCat

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/1/24
Update: I received the BP base watch, Tiger hands, viet bezel from Kuared and sternkreuz crystal.

Any suggestions for starting?
What tools do you recommend for reshaping the case? And what techniques are the most safe to use?

I was thinking about a belt flatbed sander for the initial shaping and then a fine file + stones for a precision working.
I have a dremel, but I doubt that using it free hand can lead to a good result.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I was thinking about a belt flatbed sander for the initial shaping.

No, there would be nothing left of the case after 30 seconds.

I have a dremel, but I doubt that using it free hand can lead to a good result.

The easiest if you have zero experience is to use the Dremel with 240 grit sanding drums for basic shaping. Use finer grade drums until you get to the point where you can use polishing compound.

AlphaCat

7/1/24
No, there would be nothing left of the case after 30 seconds.

The easiest if you have zero experience is to use the Dremel with 240 grit sanding drums for basic shaping. Use finer grade drums until you get to the point where you can use polishing compound.
Thank you! I was hoping to receive your advice! I’ve seen you works and I’m a huge fan of you 😊

Do you use the dremel freehand (watch base fixed on a support) or do you attach the dremel to a support and move the case with your hands?

AlphaCat

7/1/24
Thank you! I was hoping to receive your advice! I’ve seen you works and I’m a huge fan of you 😊

Do you use the dremel freehand (watch base fixed on a support) or do you attach the dremel to a support and move the case with your hands?
And you said “if you have no experience use the dremel…”.

what is the alternative when you acquire experience and skills?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12

Put the case in a vise, clamped front/back so the sides of the lugs you're working on are facing up. Hold the Dremel in your hand, drum parallel with the lug sides. Best to decide exactly what you intend to do in terms of reshaping before starting, and practice your 'hand/Dremel coordination' on a scrap piece of metal first - it's very easy to take a huge chunk out of the case with a slip of the hand.

what is the alternative when you acquire experience and skills?

Files, polishing paper & polishing compounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1016 lover

calamityjane

Known Member
Supporter
30/12/23
Sweden
This is 1972/ first edition of Explorer 2, I bought it in Lissbon 260$ and used it almost every day since then.
Now I looking for sombody that can service it and new crystal and perhaps a crown, I can’t lock it.
a 300$ work + parts. Anybody here perhsps.?

AlphaCat

7/1/24
Put the case in a vise, clamped front/back so the sides of the lugs you're working on are facing up. Hold the Dremel in your hand, drum parallel with the lug sides. Best to decide exactly what you intend to do in terms of reshaping before starting, and practice your 'hand/Dremel coordination' on a scrap piece of metal first - it's very easy to take a huge chunk out of the case with a slip of the hand.

Thank you so much! I'll keep this thread active with photos and updates :)

AlphaCat

7/1/24

If you have short videos where you are doing the process and you don't mind sending to me, I'd really appreciate them. Still a young engineering student (20) trying to learn manual skills, my purpose is just to have fun (not interested in doing this as a profession or for money in general) and not to show a fake clone to friends pretending it's a gen piece (it's just for personal joy).

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
This is 1972/ first edition of Explorer 2, I bought it in Lissbon 260$ and used it almost every day since then.
Now I looking for sombody that can service it and new crystal and perhaps a crown, I can’t lock it.
a 300$ work + parts. Anybody here perhsps.?

This is someone else's thread about a build they're doing - pretty rude to jump in and ask a completely unrelated question.

We have a section on the forum which list approved watchmakers, you should look there.

If you have short videos where you are doing the process and you don't mind sending to me, I'd really appreciate them.

No I don't have any videos of either of these - though I don't know whether you're referring to the Dremel or the files/polishing paper.

Compare your case with a genuine case, identify what is wrong - the curve at the base of the CGs where it meets the lug sides isn't correct, the width of the lugs isn't correct - I would just concentrate on working on those 2 areas.

AlphaCat

7/1/24
This is someone else's thread about a build they're doing - pretty rude to jump in and ask a completely unrelated question.

We have a section on the forum which list approved watchmakers, you should look there.

No I don't have any videos of either of these - though I don't know whether you're referring to the Dremel or the files/polishing paper.

Compare your case with a genuine case, identify what is wrong - the curve at the base of the CGs where it meets the lug sides isn't correct, the width of the lugs isn't correct - I would just concentrate on working on those 2 areas.
Was referring in general to videos of you doing something similar (case reshaping in general). Just to have a proper form of execution in mind and try to follow the same approach

calamityjane

Known Member
Supporter
30/12/23
Sweden

Sorry, something gone wrong. Please remove.

AlphaCat

7/1/24
@tripdog What products do you use to age the dial? Can you tell me a little bit about the process? And what if I have a dial with the orange indexes (unfortunately the seller sent me this version instead of the one with white indexes)?

I guess I have to mask the orange indexes (that are already green lumed) with some transparent / white varnish

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
@tripdog What products do you use to age the dial? Can you tell me a little bit about the process? And what if I have a dial with the orange indexes (unfortunately the seller sent me this version instead of the one with white indexes)?

I guess I have to mask the orange indexes (that are already green lumed) with some transparent / white varnish
Post a pic of the dial you have please.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I wouldn't attempt to age that dial in any way, the biggest issue is the color - though there are gens' with a color fairly similar to your dial. You'll notice the dials have not 'aged' in any noticeable way other than the lume plots changing from white to something close to sepia - the black paint doesn't age, it's the binder in the lume that ages.
If you want to tone down the color on your dial then I suggest purchasing some water based matte varnish, some water based paint in the beige/cream color range and mixing the varnish with the paint to make a wash that you apply with a paint brush - 00 for the larger plots, 0000 for the small squares around the outer edge.