• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

... Build Bible & Modding Madness ... From Pam's to ...?

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
Since photobucket has gone mental, most old & new IMG links are dead, so please jump to page 5 for a picture gallery of my work.
-Nathan

Thought I'd share my origins into the exciting world of watches with you guys!
It all began about 7 years ago when one of my best friends was wearing a PAM rep. Don't even remember what PAM it was, but BAM! I was hooked!
Wanted to know all about that watch, but at the time didn't have money, knowledge of watches, time nor did I know of this great place...
A while later I stumbled upon a guy selling a new 318 Brooklyn Bridge locally on same 2nd hand site.
So, 350 EUR lighter in my wallet and I was feeling pretty good! Absolutely loved the watch and wore it well for about a year or two. Don't know till today what version it was but it was quite good. The movement crapped out and I met a guy who's a student watchmaker. Let him fix it, paid him and was ever so happy.
By the second time he had to repair it, I had so many questions, so much interest in changing things up - new strap, buckle... that I said to myself -I'm gonna go to watchmaking school one day. Two years passed, school was full, forgot about it... you name it. In the meantime I spent some time on the forum, reading up.
Bought some 005's, started tinkering with them, getting to know the movement. My dad gave me some tools he had found at flea markets (that's his thing lol) there was even a vintage Bergeon presto-tool in there :) !
I gradually got some basic skills, bought some more tools, bought some watches, experimented... BROKE A LOT OF PARTS! :laugh:

At some point I felt compelled to put a watch together myself, a Panerai watch just screams "Customize Me" to my ears lol ...

this was my first one:

A Fiddy spin-off, Molnija movement with Rolex Bridges, and sword hands. An instant Classic lol

In the meantime, I was spending a lot of time on HomageForum, looking at all the great builds those guys were doing.
Some real talent to be found there...!! Those guys were building the watches Panerai should've been making. And many believe Panerai actually found some inspiration on HF too, stealing designs! One of the things I totally digged were the destroyed dials & cases. But none of the guys there were going far enough with it.
So I gave it a shot:

To be continued....

Reactions: pdrobles

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
That last one actually started out as this one: But it didn't sell unfortunately :)

After I rebuilt this one, a memeber over on HF saw my first Brass coated watch, and wanted me to make one for him...
I had a Parnis case laying about so sandblasted it, and then it got the torch/brassing treatment!

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
Untill now I've only been modding existing dials, and found that to be very much fun, although a bit limiting. I did get a few cool ones done:

Untill I went on to order some dials from River to get the hang of painting, luming and ageing dials.
Here's some examples:

This one I did for a forum member:

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
Then I stumbled upon my first 6152-1 case, with a very unique caseback, never saw that one before and haven't seen one since.

I gave it a post WW2 appearance to the best of my abilities, and made it look like it had been in the trenches & beyond...
It also boasted one of my first selfmade straps, a craft I've been perfecting as well since then.

Reactions: Lliu31 and pdrobles

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
This build was one of my last with the extremely weathered dials, although the treatment I gave it would turn out to have a chameleon effect. The dial looks more uniform now.

The Molnija movement is still one of my staples, because of the vintage look and very good build quality.

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
I got a little bored with crownguard cases, so had to try something new.
This Radiomir case measures 47mm, has a 0,9 crown for auto movement and needed a LOT of work to have it accept a Molly.
But It paid off...

Also very proud of the matching strap I made for it, perfect match!

The crown has a stem adapter to have it accept a new molly stem

The owner since then sent it back to have some work done to it, brass movement decorated with blued screws and lumed the hands, as a request from the buyer:

I felt the need to try out a nice Radiomir case, but with the same black/brass color scheme as the last one:

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
This great Arktos I picked up M2M, but I felt it needed the Brass treatment, to make it more special.
I did this one for myself & wore it for quite a while. Untill I caught myself looking at the GMT version of the watch, so this one went on to another lucky guy!
- Also made this super soft strap myself & the buckle too.

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
Next I bought a nice Dellone Molly 3602, serviced and decorated it.

Found a nice 372 case, and made my first completely home-made dial. It is printed on bare brass and finished, lumed by me.

My lume work wasn't on point yet, practice practice!!

I eventually rebuilt the watch. It's now sold.

Itslambo

Renowned Member
7/2/16
Very very nice, I want to start luming myself but hesitant, how difficult is this?

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
Very very nice, I want to start luming myself but hesitant, how difficult is this?

Buy a kit from noctilumina, some oilers and a few dials from river, filling indices aint hard but freehanding is quite a challenge!
Go for it!

Sent with iPhone 6 - Tapatalk

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
When I saw some of the Angelus builds that people were making, I noticed that in very few cases a dial spacer with coin edge could be seen.
So I had a couple made, and made my first build with it, along with a custom dial:

It really adds a little something to the dial and makes it "pop" even more

Sometimes less is more, and 44mm PAM lovers often get overlooked, so here's a "Piccolo" for those :

Needless to say, I made the strap aswell :)

A little more custom Dial work, I especially fell in love with this lay out, essentially an LPMM dial but with a more sophisticated twist to it:

Lume is mixed with resin, but I need to find a better and longer worktime resin...

Some more Custom Dial work, tried the sandblasted case, it looked great IMO, but was not for everyone.
The dial has since then been sold seperatley, case is being rebuilt now, and will soon be ready!

Movement close-up (I order them from Dellone, but I dress it up, but clean & oil first)

This build, this is a favorite of mine. Been absolutely in love with cali dials, and wanted to make my own version of it. Inspired by a vintage Rolex Commander Dial.

Also, the strap is made by myself - Also brassed the buckle.

Brass gilt, superlume & pitch black... Always a winner :)

Couldn't resist making a CG case version!

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
This just came in!
Very happy with this, everything works perfectly! Stem wound & the works !!! Found on the bay & didn't hesitate! Finally!!! After months of looking...
2d3770810e4a476135e0ba7cea4e3dbe.jpg

Sent with iPhone 6 - Tapatalk