• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Budget Bond (Connery) Submariner Build

siritos

7/6/16
Great! :thumbup:
I just now finished disassembling plexi, insert and bezel. Easier with insert, pearl and bezel, hard with plexi: I had to break it! :phbbbbt:

cpd2186

Runway Model
Supporter
5/4/16
Great thread bro! Thanks for photos and tutorial!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ThePadd

Known Member
1/4/16
Sorry for the delay guys, been away, but used the break to get this baby running +/- 1 second a day. In fact its on my wrist now and hasn't gained or lost any time over the last 2 days :thumbup:. Just need to sort out a damned movement holder and I can complete the build.

ThePadd

Known Member
1/4/16
Okay guys, its time to wrap this baby up.

I finally got fed up of trying to source an alternative movement ring so went back to Silix and said send me the movement ring and o-ring and I'll pay the postage ($10). So I had an email this morning, saying here are the pictures and they will be shipped today.
I wasn't feeling great, and I was sure I had a movement ring like the one shown, so I got a few bits of work down then pulled out my watch building box. Sure enough I had one of the brass rings and some screws and tabs, so decided to have a go. I had a go with a scrap movement first, but soon realised that once you tighten the tabs up they will bend to be a tight fit. So after an initial mockup it was time to take the dial and movement out of my explorer case when I have been enjoying it for the last 2 weeks and go for the final deal.
I first went over the dial and hands and removed as much dust, fibres and marks that I could. Its funny how under 10x magnification there are little marks and smudges you will never see with the naked eye.
Then I removed the stem and gently lowered the movement face down into the case. Then the movement ring then the stem again to keep it all lined up.
The tiny screws and tabs are really fiddly to fit, and you need to get one in far enough to spin the auto rotor to get the other one in. But patience, a steady hand and a good set of tweezers and it can be done.
The first tab goes in

then the other screws in here, with the tab fitting under that lip, the curve of the tab is UP not down!

Once that's in there really is very little left to do......

The stem is screwed in the crown, held with pliers and screwed on tight and installed. It WILL be too long, so you push it all the way home to the winding position. You then measure the gap from the underside of the crown to the top of the stem tube. In my case it was approx. 2.4-2.5mm. Digital micrometers are a godsend here. Them measure twice and cut once, erring if anything on the cautious side. I say cut, actually I find it a lot easier to hold the stem in the pliers with just the amount you want to remove hanging out then snap the excess off. Sounds dodgy I know but the last 3 I have done like that and it works a treat. Now if you have erred on the safe side you will need to file a teeny bit off, and I mean a teeny bit, we are working in 10ths of a millimetre here.
Then grip the stem (whats left of it) in the pliers and screw the crown on.
I cant believe I got it first time on this one!
Then apply a bit of silicon grease to the thread of the stem tube, a little inside the crown and install the stem, slowly turning as you push it all the way home and check it doesn't come out again. I used to bugger up the keyless works, but now I seem to get it okay.
Then it was just a case of screwing on the caseback and fitting the strap.
I must point out I was so eager to get this baby finished, I didn't double check the inside of the case, There are a few specks that are inside the crystal, which I thought were on the crystal protector on the outside. They weren't.... Grrrr. This means I'm going to have tp pop the movement out again and clean it up before I send it.
I was also running out of daylight in the early autumn West Midlands, but I had to snap a few pics so you could see the finished result!
Okay, I need to clean the inside of the crystal, get it pressure checked, and ship it off to my mate, but I'm pretty pleased with it, and if I don't send it off quick I might be telling him I'm keeping it. It looks cool IMHO, keeps excellent time, the lume is genuinely usable and it is dead comfy!

What do you think?

ThePadd

Known Member
1/4/16
Oh god those pictures look awful! I'll take some better ones tomorrow!

gagaspam

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/8/16
bA3iBse.png

oooohhhhhhhhh

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Amazing build. Love the sub in the EXP case, as well!

Bilko

Alfaholic
16/6/09
Got to add one of these to my collect :winking: on a bracelet, nicely aged just the right amount

ThePadd

Known Member
1/4/16
Got to add one of these to my collect :winking: on a bracelet, nicely aged just the right amount
Ha ha ha! You do realise that the only rep 7206 bracelet out there is a Yuki one and they are £££, I can get an un-signed one for ££ but it wont have the coronet!

ThePadd

Known Member
1/4/16
Hahaha, every time I find a problem, somehow a solution arrives :laugh:. My guy in HK says he can get me a rivet bracelet and supply a clasp with the coronet on it. Okay, it ain't gonna be exactly the same as the real thing, but if its anything like the unsigned submariner bracelet that my missus is now wearing on her Sexplorer, I don't care, It will be cool.

If I can pop these babies out at £75 a piece (plus shipping), would people be interested??

cpd2186

Runway Model
Supporter
5/4/16
I'm sure you would get some bites if pictures were available

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ThePadd

Known Member
1/4/16
Yeah, I'll try and persuade my mate to take one so I can take some pics both loose and installed.

ThePadd

Known Member
1/4/16
okay, the watch is now waterproof, the crown wasn't sealing properly and its all together. Watch this space for a build montage and fashion parade (Bond strap, grey and black NATO and bracelet.

ThePadd

Known Member
1/4/16
okay, I found the waterprrof problem was the crown, screwing down but not squeezing the rubber seal, so I added a spacer behind the crown seal and ....sorted! Then the bracelet arrived, so it was time to get it all together and ask my mate how he wanted it delivered, on the strap or bracelet.
First was the build up, which was a nightmare battle against the dust!

quick clean of the dial hands

The original crown was used

The 3 sealing parts

Please note that the seal that came for the case back was rubbish so a decent one was sourced from Cousins

After that the movement was bolted into the case using a proper brass movement ring

The 6538 case markings

All together on the 20mm Bond Strap

On my black and grey NATO (like Daniel Craig)

Various bracelet shots, I went a bit mad, I think it looks great.