• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Budget Bond (Connery) Submariner Build

ThePadd

Known Member
1/4/16
Just spoke to him, he's really stoked about it. Cant wait to get it. Looks like someone else on here wants one too!

ThePadd

Known Member
1/4/16
On the subject of more of these, it looks like there is a challenge around cases and bezel inserts, so I'm not guaranteeing I can ever make any more of these. So it you are interested, PM me asap.

ThePadd

Known Member
1/4/16
okay, I am making another of these and have someone waiting. I cant say how long they are going to take as parts supply is rubbish. My nephew has asked me to price up a white gold (stainless steel) DayDate (President). I think he'll change his mind when I tell him! Seagull ST2100, dials, day wheels, date wheel overlays, crowns and new crystals all add up. It'd be a cool project though!
I also like the idea of building a GMT Master, but not sure what would be the best movement for that. I've seen a GMT mod to a 2836 but sounds nasty, anyone know what is the best GMT budget movement (Under £80).?

ThePadd

Known Member
1/4/16

Okay guys, I know that I have a few people wanting a copy of this watch. I'm just waiting on the dials. I could relume a white lumed dial but its a lot of hassle to do that and would bump up the price. Hang on, as soon as they are available I can get ordering parts and quote firm prices.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
okay, I am making another of these and have someone waiting. I cant say how long they are going to take as parts supply is rubbish. My nephew has asked me to price up a white gold (stainless steel) DayDate (President). I think he'll change his mind when I tell him! Seagull ST2100, dials, day wheels, date wheel overlays, crowns and new crystals all add up. It'd be a cool project though!

Hi [MENTION=124030]ThePadd[/MENTION]

Amazing job you did there, and you make it seem so easy that I contacted Michelle at Silix and ordered 2 cases.

FIRST one will be for me ... Bond style quite like yours (except the strap I think)
SECOND one will be for my wife ... sort of a "Miss Bond" watch :
- moded dial and hands (dark green and gold if I can manage that ... probably a home made decal on golden dial) with "golden" lume
- dark green ostrich leg strap (Andrea makes beautiful ones for about 60$ shipping included... not a TD but you can search martuleather on google)

And be SURE I will use your thread as a tutorial :laugh:

I also like the idea of building a GMT Master, but not sure what would be the best movement for that. I've seen a GMT mod to a 2836 but sounds nasty, anyone know what is the best GMT budget movement (Under £80).?

Did you considered a DG3804 ?
It's a cheap low beat movement with an independently adjustable GMT hand ... about 35$£ at Cousins ... seems to be reliable (according to forum members)
And you can find the fitting hands at Raffles ... about 26$ the 4 hands and a sterile GMT dial

ThePadd

Known Member
1/4/16
Yes, its the DG3804b isn't it. Yes that's on my build list. You can get the dials and hands to suit. But it has taken back seat to my 5513 homage build, somewhere else on here. I really wanted a 2 line sub beater with crownguards and I had a case and movement to suit, so that's next project. Changing crystals and drilling cases was too much fun to miss!

eleventibillion

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
21/9/20
NorCal
Really great build there, if you build more please continue to post..eating this content up. One day I dream of building one on my own but for now I’ll have to live thru your experience.

thank you!!!