• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BP Factory Rolex 16710 GMT Full Review VS Gen

bathingape2002

Known Member
10/11/15
Great review ! Well explained and very well compared. Must say that the BP is pretty good out of the box

Thank you !

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe
Nice post bro. I like this model more than any other Rolex GMT but after this comparing its a big no for me.
Though I saw many parts for this watch on TRF (insert, crystal, hands etc.) there is still this case “issue”.
I could go with ichs though. You taught me that ;)

Reactions: KJ2020

pcghill

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/9/17
Stellar review! It was a great reading. Good luck with your project

Last edited:

arayo

Known Member
14/2/19
Thank you very much for the review!
It is a big help for me to choose to purchase BP 16710 or not!
Anyone has any experience with 16710 LF version?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thank you very much for the review!
It is a big help for me to choose to purchase BP 16710 or not!
Anyone has any experience with 16710 LF version?

I have an LF sub which I like, wearing it today in fact.

15615747230690.jpg

Bracelet and clasp (on the Sub) are better than BP but that's not saying much. The GMT is only shown in jubilee but my TD said it was available on Oyster. The LF CGs are quite nice. Hands are not as good. The dealbreaker for me was the rehaut, which you have to look at all the time. First, it's engraved which 5 digit GMTs never were and secondly its extremely wokky (lower diameter smaller than upper diameter giving it an angled sloping rise, like a WOK pan). Different things bother different people, but that's just an eyesore to me. And I doubt there's enough dial space to sand that rehaut engraving off and straighten the slope to an acceptable degree. I wouldn't want to be faced with that task OOTB anyway.

15616039159330.jpg

arayo

Known Member
14/2/19
I have an LF sub which I like, wearing it today in fact.

15615747230690.jpg

Bracelet and clasp (on the Sub) are better than BP but that's not saying much. The GMT is only shown in jubilee but my TD said it was available on Oyster. The LF CGs are quite nice. Hands are not as good. The dealbreaker for me was the rehaut, which you have to look at all the time. First, it's engraved which 5 digit GMTs never were and secondly its extremely wokky (lower diameter smaller than upper diameter giving it an angled sloping rise, like a WOK pan). Different things bother different people, but that's just an eyesore to me. And I doubt there's enough dial space to sand that rehaut engraving off and straighten the slope to an acceptable degree. I wouldn't want to be faced with that task OOTB anyway.

15616039159330.jpg

Thanks for the insight! That is very helpful.
I was considering the BP & LF all the time, but there seem to be few information especially on the LF.
I like the LF's CGs. But the rehaut is definitely a problem.
In terms of case size & shape, LF is nearer to the gen?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks for the insight! That is very helpful.
I was considering the BP & LF all the time, but there seem to be few information especially on the LF.
I like the LF's CGs. But the rehaut is definitely a problem.
In terms of case size & shape, LF is nearer to the gen?

The dial crown and fonts are better on the LF than the BP. The LF was updated to V2 in Sept 2018. They changed a lot of things and not for the better. The case is thicker, the lugs are thicker - in fact it looks more like a 6 digit case than a 5 digit case. And then there's the engraved rehaut on the V2. They really ruined it with that. I still had some pics my TD sent of the LF V1, I wish I had grabbed one when I could. The first two pics are the V1, which AFAIK is no longer available unless a TD has an old one lying around.

image10.jpg

image12.jpg

Compare to the V2, which looks a lot less like a 5 digit GMT. Look at the lug thickness on the back views

https://www.ts-station.cn/goods.php?ProId=24541

LF-V2.jpg

LF-V2-back.jpg

Reactions: Essray

Aidy

Known Member
27/8/16
Thanks for a great read. A watch I’ve been meaning to buy for a while

clayj

Horology Curious
4/5/19
Thanks for the time spent on this review, certainly it is helpful for the community especially for newcomers like me. Hope that my (and others) appreciation can help you to keep it up !

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
BP Factory Rolex 16710 GMT Full Review VS Gen

Greetings fellow watchaholics, as the title states, here is a full review of the BP Rolex 16710 GMT. There are a lot of things to like about this rep, and as you will see overall I gave it a high rating. There are some things which will need fixing, as is the case with most reps. All of the characteristics of this rep like SEL, no LEC, dial, no lug holes, thickness, clasp, etc., were found on various 5-digit GMT models, but not all at the same time. There are some period correctness issues but overall I think it’s an acceptable combination with a few exceptions. This model is only available as ICHS.

Gen-BP-1-Medium.jpg

Below is the link I sent to my TD to source the watch. TSWatch is not a TD, but there are more good quality pics to look at there.

https://www.ts-station.cn/goods.php?ProId=13255

This is a link to the A3186 deco plate model at Intime. It is only shown with Pepsi insert. The many other listings at Intime for 16710's are all mislabeled, they are 1675's.

https://www.intime04.co/rollie/3627-...let-a3186.html

<lots of good stuff snipped

Overall rating 8.0 / 10.0
If this seems a little high to you given the number and extent of deviances from gen, I can only say that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. This is a very good rep for $278. At that price there’s room to do a few of the things it needs and have a great classic watch. I bought this for a special project, it is going to look totally different when I’m done, I will post back when it’s complete.

Thanks for reading!

Gen-BP-41-Medium.jpg

This is a great review, thanks! I don't see it listed at puretime and intime. The link to TS watch site seems to show a different watch now, with a serif non-sticky II. Also $368. I was going to consider this as my first rep, or perhaps the Tudor Baselworld GMT, but as the watch now seems to show a different one I would like to know which watch would actually be the same. I appreciate that the watch maker may have changed the dial already since June.
Thanks!

mp1mancini

Wear It - Love It
Supporter
Certified
2/11/16
CONUS
The dial crown and fonts are better on the LF than the BP. The LF was updated to V2 in Sept 2018. They changed a lot of things and not for the better. The case is thicker, the lugs are thicker - in fact it looks more like a 6 digit case than a 5 digit case. And then there's the engraved rehaut on the V2. They really ruined it with that. I still had some pics my TD sent of the LF V1, I wish I had grabbed one when I could. The first two pics are the V1, which AFAIK is no longer available unless a TD has an old one lying around.

Here are some pics of my LF 16710 with a 2836. Based on the versions you described this looks like v1. When I got this back in April, I initially had to reject the QC pics of what seemed like a v2.

It does seem like the case back is thicker like your BP.

I tried your idea of fitting a gen case back (my gen 16570 as I understand 16710 and 16570 are same basic cases) but that didn’t work. The LF case was too small. I wonder if it’s cause of the 2836 fitted case? I hate this case back plus the threads start way into the case and it’s not that tight. Not sure what to do next.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
This is a great review, thanks! I don't see it listed at puretime and intime. The link to TS watch site seems to show a different watch now, with a serif non-sticky II. Also $368. I was going to consider this as my first rep, or perhaps the Tudor Baselworld GMT, but as the watch now seems to show a different one I would like to know which watch would actually be the same. I appreciate that the watch maker may have changed the dial already since June.
Thanks!

BP did indeed change the dial, or at least they're using a different lot now. As far as I can tell there is nothing else different about it. I looked it over very thoroughly. This is a good watch too IMO, the dial crown and fonts are better on the current offering. The caseback appears to still be thick, so that's an issue that will need to be addressed unless it doesn't bother you.

Reactions: RiffRalf

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Here are some pics of my LF 16710 with a 2836. Based on the versions you described this looks like v1. When I got this back in April, I initially had to reject the QC pics of what seemed like a v2.

16710-case-and-back-11.jpg

I tried your idea of fitting a gen case back (my gen 16570 as I understand 16710 and 16570 are same basic cases) but that didn’t work. The LF case was too small. I wonder if it’s cause of the 2836 fitted case? I hate this case back plus the threads start way into the case and it’s not that tight. Not sure what to do next.

That looks like a V1, the case shape is very nice. I picked up an LF V2 just to have a look and interestingly it has a slim caseback. Go figure, fat lugs and slim caseback. Total thickness measures 12.5mm, same as the BP with a slim caseback. Gen is 12.2mm. The rehaut engraving has to go, I'm going to sand it off and see what else I can do with it. IDK what to tell you about finding a slimmer caseback, really a shame the gen didn't fit as there are plenty of aftermarket replacements for the gen. I'll see if can find any on ebay, etc. If bought from a reputable vendor like WSO, returns are a snap if it doesn't fit.

Edit: Can you post a pic of yours with the hands not covering any dial text? After a second look, I'm wondering if you didn't end up with a BP due to the shape of the dial crown and the sticks dial. LF never used those dials AFAIK. Your TD may have offered you a BP to salvage the sale. My LF doesn't have a thick caseback, the BP and yours does...

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
mp1mancini Also both V1/2 LF have LEC on the crystal. BP does not. Not seeing LEC on yours. V1 on jubilee

image10.jpg

LF-V2.jpg

mp1mancini

Wear It - Love It
Supporter
Certified
2/11/16
CONUS
Interesting point on whether mine is a BP or LF. I did ask for an LF though still happy with watch.

I’ll post better face shot tomorrow.