• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Bourbon drinkers get in here!

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
iphreak, I would urge you to try the Elijah Craig 18yr. It's about the same price as Blanton's and I find it smoother with a bit "deeper" flavor profile.

kdb

Horology Curious
13/2/09
Gentlemen,

If you want to taste something that must have been delivered by god across the the thighs of virgins - of age of course - and into casks for perfect aging, try AH Hirsch. It is getting pricey as the original distiller is gone, but if you can find it, you must try. It is like no other Bourbon you have ever had.

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
I live in Kentucky and have had the great fortune to try all those bourbons mentioned except BBC Jefferson. When I graduated from college several years ago, nearly everyone that came to my party brought me a nice bottle of bourbon so I was able to compare maybe 15-20 types in one night. The higher end stuff was very nice, but my favorites are Makers/Woodford/Knob Creek in no particular order. The 18yr Elijah Craig was good, but VERY different than all the others. There's almost too much flavor in there for me. I wouldn't turn down a free glass though.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Hey, Five, the BBC Jefferson Reserve is a beer that is aged in bourbon barrels from the distillery. Sorry if I muddied the waters, there.

Agreed, the Elijah Craig is different and has lots of flavor, but I found it smoother and more drinkable (to me) than the Blanton's, Booker's or Basil Hayden - all of which are FINE bourbons, without question.

jwortho

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/9/08
Mostly a fan of Basil Hayden / Blanton's / Bookers etc for everyday drinking.

Special occasion ( or "I deserve a shot of something special") Pappy Van Winkle 25 year old family reserve.

And if any of you know where I can still get bottles of George Dickel Old #12 BLACK - please pm me with details ( I know that it is from Tenn - but it's soooo freakin good)

kendog870

30/6/09
Mmmmm, bourbon!

For every day drinking I love Makers and Woodford Reserve and Four Roses. Heck even Buffalo trace is good!
For Special Occasions I like Peppy Van Winkle. That is some of the best stuff ever.

I thought for bourbon to be called BOURBON it also had to be made in KY?

You have great taste in bourbon!!! All of those are fantastic bourbons. I have never tried Four roses ,but will now. Van winkle is a very nice. Have you ever tried Eagle rare? Its hits the spot as well. And for the price you cant beat 1792 ridgemont reserve....

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
The local beer, bourbon and BBQ festival is coming up in a couple of weeks. WOOT!

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
Unfortunately I know little about straight bourbon, but some of my favorite beers are bourbon barrel aged. In addition to whats been listed, I'll add..

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.....around $6 a bottle but worth it for a treat. Pours like motor oil. Sweet and wonderful bourbon flavor. There is a four star restaurant near me that does a Bourbon County Stout Manhattan where the beer has been cooked down into a syrup and mixed into the liquor. Two of those and a Goose Island Perre Jacques and I could barely get the fork to my mouth.

Barley Island Beastie Barrel Porter....around $4 a bottle so I have this one more often. Flavor is not as good as the Goose Island...but it is still a treat.

I am interested in this thread so I know what to pick up when I'm in the duty free Caribbean again. Thanks to a Vodka thread on one of the boards, I picked up some Van Gogh expresso vodka for $7 a liter in San Juan....delicious stuff.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
NaviChief, where are you located?

Not sure you'll find any of the "good" bottles at a Duty Free. You'll probably be able to get Maker's Mark or Knob Creek and the like, though. Which are fine, but not high end bourbons.

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
Chicagoland. I saw plenty of nice scotches at the duty shop, but did not know about bourbon so I'm not sure what they had.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
A nice bottle of Elijah Craig, Blanton's, Jefferson's Reserve or Four Roses should all be less than $50. Pricey, sure, but not prohibitively so when just getting a bottle to try.

I think the Elijah Craig 18yr old is <$40/bottle here - that would be my suggestion on where to start with a moderately priced sipping bourbon. Honestly, I like that bottle much more than some of the more expensive varieties.

MikeyBWindsurfer

Horology Curious
28/4/10
A nice bottle of Elijah Craig, Blanton's, Jefferson's Reserve or Four Roses should all be less than $50. Pricey, sure, but not prohibitively so when just getting a bottle to try.

I think the Elijah Craig 18yr old is <$40/bottle here - that would be my suggestion on where to start with a moderately priced sipping bourbon. Honestly, I like that bottle much more than some of the more expensive varieties.

I've never been a big fan of the Elijah Craig, but LOVE the Blanton's.
Another gem if you get a chance is the Black Maple Hill. It's very smooth like a Woodford reserve, with just a little bit of bite. The web show it gong for less than $35 a botttle. It's become my personal favorite.

Anyone have a favorite Bourbon regardless of price?

M

tomhorn

11/8/08
Anyone have a favorite Bourbon regardless of price?
Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 23yo 114 proof ... IF you can find it it will be between $450 and $600. The 95 proof version is a bit easier to find and will be around $250.

The PVWFR 20yo is easier to find, but still around $150-$175. A very, very close alternative to the above.

Autococker07

10/6/10
Elijah Craig 18yr is tough to beat, but I prefer Evan Williams single barrel.... it is even smoother, and a -tad- bit hotter, (nothing like knob creek or bookers heat) i always keep a decanter of that stuff around...

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
I drink as much scotch and irish whiskey as bourbon... but

Typically I drink Woodford, Bookers, or Bulleit for a daily (probably not daily, but more commonly) drink. Always neat.

For special occasions, I have a bottle of Black Maple Hill 16yr, but it is unopened as of yet.

mothroth

24/1/09
Makers Mark every time for me!
I set up a group on facebook which is themed 'Jack Daniels is NOT a mixer'... Not a huge Jack fan but over here in the UK it's often the only Bourbon you can get in bars...
actually... its Friday, It's my Birthday on Sunday so - probably time for a MM me thinks!

mag1

Looking Around
27/9/11
Makers or Knob Creek..With a small confession, I add a cube or 2...

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
Pretty much anything "small batch"...

1. Knob Creek
2. Maker's Mark
3. Booker's

Favored in that order. Knob Creek is exemplary, although I consume more Maker's Mark than any of the others and I love Booker's but it runs a little "hot" for every day drinking.

The Black Maple Hills that Dustin refers to, THAT is superlative stuff. Hard to find, but if I had $125 to blow on one bottle, that's the one.

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
Baker's is REALLY good to. I went to school with a girl's family who is apart of all that. AWESOME bourbon - and yes she could out drink me in any bourbon any day.