• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Bourbon drinkers get in here!

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
I officially dedicate this thread to my all-time, #1 favorite spirit - bourbon.

If you don't know what makes bourbon bourbon instead of just whiskey the answer is this (thanks Wikipedia!):
  • Bourbon MUST be made in the United States.
  • Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.
  • Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume).
  • Neither coloring nor flavoring may be added.
  • Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak barrels.
  • Bourbon must be entered into the barrel at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume).
  • Bourbon, like other whiskeys, may not be bottled at less than 80 proof (40% alcohol by volume.)
  • Bourbon which meets the above requirements and has been aged for a minimum of two years, may (but is not required to) be called Straight Bourbon.
  • Straight Bourbon aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.
  • If an age is stated on the label, it must be the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle.
A wonderful site, IMO, is www.straightbourbon.com to learn about/talk about bourbon.

My everyday drinking bottle is usually Maker's Mark, although I'm fond of Gentleman Jack as an everyday drinker, too.

Special occasion bottles are:
Blanton's - smooth but with a fair amount of heat and a little bit of spice/pepper.
Elijah Craig 18yr - VERY smooth and drinkable. Low heat and mellow.
Booker's - It's been awhile since I've had any, so I'll have to get another bottle and do a review. Pity.... :biglaugh:

Alright, folks, let's hear your opinions!

Reactions: RoLoB

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
Mmmmm, bourbon!

For every day drinking I love Makers and Woodford Reserve and Four Roses. Heck even Buffalo trace is good!
For Special Occasions I like Peppy Van Winkle. That is some of the best stuff ever.

I thought for bourbon to be called BOURBON it also had to be made in KY?

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Nope. It IS, however, named after Bourbon County, KY. However, it can be made anywhere in the US and still be called bourbon.

Haven't tried Pappy Van Winkle, yet. However, the annual Beer, Bourbon and BBQ festival is coming up, so I'll give it a go, then.

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
They have an annual bourbon festivel in Bardstown KY every year which is awesome!

jboyddus

Horology Curious
27/4/09
Single Barrel and small batch Bourbon's are gaining in popularity as well.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Yep, Blanton's is a single barrel, IIRC.

COLDI, I would LOVE to come up to Kentucky and do a distillery tour...

Monicker

Known Member
9/9/09
I know it's relatively cheap, but if I'm not drinking scotch then I really like to have a glass or three of Maker's Mark.

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
hooli...its in the summer...you're more than welcome.

Also makers mark throws a party every year called "Thoroughbreads and Red Heads" which is also a great party if anyone is every in KY (its THIS weekend ;))

BigChief

Renowned Member
8/5/09
Makers Mark and a twist of lime...delicious. My other fav is Jameson...i know not bourbon but great none the less.

Vigil

8/11/08
Oh hells yeah, I'm in here. Finished off my Woodford Reserve last night and moving on to a nice Elijah Craig this evening.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
I love Woodford, too. To my taste, Maker's is on par with Woodford and is $5-7 cheaper where I live, so I usually end up with Maker's. Elijah Craig 18yr is my current favorite at any price. I haven't tried 'em all, but I've tried a lot.

I won't be back home until next weekend, but I think I'll go buy a new bottle to try/review.

I'll report back here on the details afterward.

tomhorn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/8/08
My Top 5 Bourbons:

1. Old Rip Van Winkle (Now Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve) ... the 15, 20 and 23 year old versions from this distillery are beauties.
2. Knob Creek ... cheapest on my list, but don't let the price fool you.
3. Noah's Mill ... kicks at 114 proof, so be careful
4. Basil Hayden ... smooth and light
5. Four Roses Single Barrel ... a US bourbon that disappeared to Japan and is now back state-side.

izebulon

2/1/09
Happen to be enjoying tomhorn's #4 right now, so life must be good. And yes, smooth, light and too easy to drink are definitely a good description.

Big fan of Knob Creek, when I moved I found it for ~$20 and became spoiled rotten as a regular choice. The price has gone up but still tasty. Favor it over Makers (no flaming), although I do find it a tad sweet.

On the more affordable side, I rated Evan Williams much higher than JD, so it was always a steal.

Many moons ago, during a scotch period, a kindly barkeep treated me to a "bourbon so smooth it's like a great scotch." That was Jefferson Reserve. I had a holy **** moment that got me walking down the path to single distillation again.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
On a side note, The Bluegrass Brewing Company does a Jefferson Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout that is FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!

http://www.bluegrassbrew.com/

I don't believe I've tried Jefferson Reserve, yet. That and Pappy Van Winkle are next on the list.

I actually prefer Maker's and Woodford both over Knob Creek, and both are cheaper than Knob, so it's a win-win for me. That's why they make more than one kind, I suppose!

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Good call, COLDI! I had some more BBC Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout with dinner tonight. It is absolutely wonderful.

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
Oh its amazing...these are the same people that are the main sponsors for the FEI World Equestrian Games. They are a micro-brewery who come out with some amazing stuff :)

izebulon

2/1/09
Can't wait to try that BBC JRBB Stout, wondering what I need to do to get it (BBC just makes good beer, straight up). That said, when you start talking about good bourbon and beer, my head goes all barleywine....oh wait, that's probably a different thread :)

iphreak

Renowned Member
28/8/09
Read this thread last night and had a bit of Blanton's in honor of you folks. It has been in the back of the bar for a while. Easy to forget how good that stuff it. My everyday is Gentlemens Jack