• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best Black Submariner with date?

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Ryan Gossling wears a 1950s Air King and pulls it off perfectly. You could find an air king for an low price. Or get a solid watch of any number of amazing brands.

The watch isn't going to do anything for you that you can't do for yourself.

I'm willing to bet that it wasn't the Mercedes that got you noticed but the confidence you projected from having it.

Save your money. Instead of a Rolex (or a rep) just go buy a Rolex hat and tell everyone it's in the shop and you're just wearing your apple watch because you're training for the marathon.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Yeah, well. Been a while since I’ve posted but after this magnificent pile of *CENSORED* I must lay my veredicto:

I call bullshit.

I don’t believe absolutely anything you say, mate. Do you know what do Sales Directors care about? Want me to tell you? Sales figures. Just don’t be dressed like a dead cockroach and you’ll be fine.

And do you know one thing about a client that gets a 100M deal closed because of a dinner and the sight of a Mercedes and a Sub: it does NOT exist. No one will make a decision of that calibre after a massive due diligence, involving long finance negotiations with their equity providers as well as their finance counterparts. No one. Period.

I have been working in sectors that are quite elitist, project finance, export finance, commodity trading and energy projects too. Nothing of what you say makes sense on a high level sales. It does make on low end short and quick sales environment where every junior competes against each other to get the best leads before the week. Boiler room type sales is what comes to mind when you describe that environment.

I think you have read a lot of stories and seen a lot of movies, perhaps even someone in your family or friends works on a real state company and managed to get what you think is a massive commission, bought a submariner and you just want to know what’s the best sub.

LawSam

Horology Curious
5/5/20
London, UK
Before this all got political and heated... was there actually a verdict on best rep Sub?

Also someone mentioned the AP 15400 which look great, but I hear they sit quite high as they're thicker than gen. Just someone to be aware of to the OP if you consider this...

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
Before this all got political and heated... was there actually a verdict on best rep Sub?

Also someone mentioned the AP 15400 which look great, but I hear they sit quite high as they're thicker than gen. Just someone to be aware of to the OP if you consider this...

If you’re new to this world get the ZZF would be my recommendation. You will love it but make sure you do a good job with the QC before green.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
It's worth noting also that I don't even care about luxury items such as cars/watches/clothes, to me they're just tools to get ahead in my field, the same way a carpenter needs to buy a hammer for his field. My end goal is to have a frugal retirement (somewhere between leanfire and fatfire) by 40 and all of this is just a means to an end. I don't really care for luxury items, for example I don't even use the Mercedes for anything other than work. My daily is a manual 2003 Mini Cooper that I prefer over the Mercedes any day of the week. The same thing is going to happen with the watch, I find watches uncomfortable and will not wear it for anything other than work.

Lastly I wanted to mention that it may be wiser to get information about peoples background before you blindly make assumptions. I'm in my early 30's and have spent most of my career in the engineering field where I made ~200k a year. I saved at about a 70% rate and can easily drop 15k on a Rolex if I wanted to be careless with my money.

Then you'll understand that if you want to get ahead and impress the people you work for - to clinch those big deals you deserve, you'll need to invest in quality tools - clothes, a car and a nice watch.

As an engineer you'll understand the importance of high quality tools and equipment - working with sub-standard equipment will never bring quality results - and quality results are what you need and deserve. That cash you have saved can be used to make more money.

A new, genuine Rolex won't depreciate to any great degree, cars do lose their value, we all know that - but that money spent, it's an investment on your future. A carpenter can't build a house on solid foundations if his cuts corners in the quality of this tools, and you won't be able to impress billionaires with a Honda Civic - or a Mini Cooper either.

That cash you have saved can be used to make more money. Invest in quality tools - speculate to accumulate .

Buy a fake Rolex and it gets spotted, you'll be fucked for life in real estate sales.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
I'll stay off the beaten track here. I became a Mustachian a few years back, after I had come to the realization on how much money I had spent on things that don't matter. I had a Ferrari Dino when I was 26, but I lived from paycheck to paycheck. Many cool cars followed throughout the years, and designer clothes, and jewelry, and all the things that get you laid when you're young. Well, it worked.

Now on the other side of 60, however, approaching retirement, I wish I had saved and invested more. I had many gen watches that have since quadrupled in value. Boy do I wish I had kept my Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute that I sold for $1,650 about a decade ago. I sold two cherry Rolex Datejust watches, one with WG bezel, for about $1,650 each just a few years back. All this has risen my threshold for excitement to a point that I can no longer afford. At the same time, it has changed my mental state. When I see a modern Submariner, I automatically assume it maybe a fake. So if you don't want risk to be called out wearing a rep, get a watch that you can pull off. Think Tudor Black Bay, think Bell & Ross, think Panerai 111 or 112. There are superreps out of those watches, and since they are within your financial reach without going into debt, they just make sense. If you want to take it to the next level, get a Franken.

Car wise, you don't need a $120K car. Even in Beverly Hills will a Tesla Model 3 or used Lexus do the trick. I don't live in your world, thankfully, but I have friends who are realtors and I own commercial real estate, and I won't pick a realtor with a new S-Class for the same reason to don't pick a contractor who drives the newest $60K diesel rig. The realtor who sold me my house and became my friend afterward drives a Lexus ES350 from 2008 or so. She is married to a well known actor and they live in a super home on top of the hill in Ojai.

Granted, California isn't NYC, but I think it's much more than having an in-your-face watch. You can't overcome your relatively young age with status symbols, but you can make an impression by being the smartest, most hard-working chap in the gang.

Reactions: phdsjain

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
Then you'll understand that if you want to get ahead and impress the people you work for - to clinch those big deals you deserve, you'll need to invest in quality tools - clothes, a car and a nice watch.

As an engineer you'll understand the importance of high quality tools and equipment - working with sub-standard equipment will never bring quality results - and quality results are what you need and deserve. That cash you have saved can be used to make more money.

A new, genuine Rolex won't depreciate to any great degree, cars do lose their value, we all know that - but that money spent, it's an investment on your future. A carpenter can't build a house on solid foundations if his cuts corners in the quality of this tools, and you won't be able to impress billionaires with a Honda Civic - or a Mini Cooper either.

That cash you have saved can be used to make more money. Invest in quality tools - speculate to accumulate .

Buy a fake Rolex and it gets spotted, you'll be fucked for life in real estate sales.

^ All the stuff he said. :) Also, are you stuck on New York? Thought of moving and selling houses somewhere less aggravating?

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19

Ryan Gosling is not in politics.

Xcromance

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/11/14
LALALAND
Good read through all the 10 pages .. have owned gen and rep. Never care about how people look at it as Long as I like the watch.. if don’t know what to wear . Or what to buy . Just hold on till your hearts tell you . Meanwhile enjoy the rep or the gen . Gshock is not bad as well

danbrown527

Horology Curious
11/3/21
To the OP

Ive worked in high end sales my entire life in NYC as a matter of fact and you are completely wrong. It’s not about the watch and car and such ... it’s about the value you offer as a consultant. They could give a shit about your Rolex. To be honest personally I try to actually look more modest when doing business. Secondly wtf are you doing buying a fake watch to prove success? All you will prove is you’re a fraud. Stop being such a beta.