• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best Black Submariner with date?

Polskagenetics

Horology Curious
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
11/5/20
Hmm everybody has his favor , a friend of mine has the zzf and the bracelet was nothing to compare with the arf bracelet....

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
I work in real estate (in NYC) and it really is the worst field ever. In order for my superiers to take me seriously I have to project a certain image. I got all the trash gigs for a long time then I decided to lease a (loaner) Mercedes to fit in more and it worked, They actually started giving me some listings. They're always comparing watches and shit so that the next logical step hence the reason for the question.

Lets accept the first fact about watches - We wear a watch for our self confidence and pleasure, nobody else gives a sh***t about what you have on your wrist. And as an FYI - the billionaire next door who is smart with his/her money is actually wearing an Apple watch :D:D

Have been reading all the other posts and all the mention of having to blend in and conform. I also happen to work in an Industry where how you present yourself is an important factor to move ahead. I also wear a suit and deal with million$$ transactions. But let me assure you, the watch I wear has never ever made a difference in any business situation that I have lived through so far. Lastly, the best advice so far is from muiramas - "It's getting ahead that gets you the car/watch"

thorne

16600 FTW
8/3/10
Sling City
Honestly if I were in his place I’d just buy a Speedy Pro, only thing you need to get used to manual winding.

Great brand value, amazing NASA heritage, and can be had at great prices compared to a sub. Nobody who is into watches will fault anyone for wearing one, besides it is usually a great conversation starter. Can dress it up or down too.

Clearly not in the same league, but a great alternative until he’d have the means for the sub.

Reactions: micksmith1987

freetradecollection

Horology Curious
10/5/20
It's seems like no one here has worked in competitive high end sales where things like this matter. Sales is very different from other fields such as STEM / finance / IT and such, I need to make millionaires / billionaires trust me with their money. They tend to only want to deal with people they also view as successful / professional. The hipster with the Apple Watch is not going to get a single client, I know this because that's exactly what I have and was advised to stop wearing it because it looked unprofessional. Thanks for all the advice but based on the responses it seems like none of these watches can pass for a real one so this option wouldn't work for me. I'll look into buying an authentic used datejust or something similar.

To the person who advised me to get ahead first then focus on cars and watches, we just live in different worlds and you don't understand my field so your advice wouldn't work for me. Cars and watches are given away as prizes in competitions at my place of work to top sales people all the time. Once I get to that level I wouldn't need to buy a cars/watche and other luxuries because it will be given to me. The hard part is standing out enough to get to the point where they trust me enough to give me a constant stream of clients so I can start to compete at the top level. Also as I mentioned the car has already helped tremendously (surprise! millionaires are more trusting of someone that drives a new luxury car over a 1995 civic), I also dress, look and act the part now, the only thing I think can help me fit in more is the watch now.

It's worth noting also that I don't even care about luxury items such as cars/watches/clothes, to me they're just tools to get ahead in my field, the same way a carpenter needs to buy a hammer for his field. My end goal is to have a frugal retirement (somewhere between leanfire and fatfire) by 40 and all of this is just a means to an end. I don't really care for luxury items, for example I don't even use the Mercedes for anything other than work. My daily is a manual 2003 Mini Cooper that I prefer over the Mercedes any day of the week. The same thing is going to happen with the watch, I find watches uncomfortable and will not wear it for anything other than work.

Lastly I wanted to mention that it may be wiser to get information about peoples background before you blindly make assumptions. I'm in my early 30's and have spent most of my career in the engineering field where I made ~200k a year. I saved at about a 70% rate and can easily drop 15k on a Rolex if I wanted to be careless with my money. I'm not going to do that because as I stated before my goal is to retire by the age of 40 and it's the reason I changed my field in the first place. It seems like I was wrong in assuming this place would be filled with likeminded frugal people since it's a community based on saving money.

Once again thanks for the replies/advice everyone but I'll go with the used real option.

Last edited:

brokebuthappy

24/2/20
It's seems like no one here has worked in competitive high end sales where things like this matter. Sales is very different from other fields such as STEM / finance / IT and such, I need to make millionaires / billionaires trust me with their money. They tend to only want to deal with people they also view as successful / professional. The hipster with the Apple Watch is not going to get a single client, I know this because that's exactly what I have and was advised to stop wearing it because it looked unprofessional. Thanks for all the advice but based on the responses it seems like none of these watches can pass for a real one so this option wouldn't work for me. I'll look into buying an authentic used datejust or something similar.

To the person who advised me to get ahead first then focus on cars and watches, we just live in different worlds and you don't understand my field so your advice wouldn't work for me. Cars and watches are given away as prizes in competitions at my place of work to top sales people all the time. Once I get to that level I wouldn't need to buy a cars/watche and other luxuries because it will be given to me. The hard part is standing out enough to get to the point where they trust me enough to give me a constant stream of clients so I can start to compete at the top level. Also as I mentioned the car has already helped tremendously (surprise! millionaires are more trusting of someone that drives a new luxury car over a 1995 civic), I also dress, look and act the part now, the only thing I think can help me fit in more is the watch now.

It's worth noting also that I don't even care about luxury items such as cars/watches/clothes, to me they're just tools to get ahead in my field, the same way a carpenter needs to buy a hammer for his field. My end goal is to have a frugal retirement (somewhere between leanfire and fatfire) by 40 and all of this is just a means to an endl. I don't really care for luxury items, for example I don't even use the Mercedes for anything other than work. My daily is a manual 2003 Mini Cooper that I prefer over the Mercedes any day of the week. The same thing is going to happen with the watch, I find watches uncomfortable and will not wear it for anything other than work.

Lastly I wanted to mention that it may be wiser to get information about peoples background before you blindly make assumptions. I'm in my early 30's and have spent most of my career in the engineering field where I made ~200k a year. I saved at about an 70% rate and can easily drop 15k on a Rolex if I wanted to be careless with my money. I'm not going to do that because as I stated before my goal is to retire by the age of 40 and it's the reason I changed my field in the first place. It seems like I was wrong in assuming this place would be filled with likeminded frugal people since it's a community based on saving money.

Once again thanks for the replies/advice everyone but I'll go with the used real option.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

the people who started before you had fancy watches and cars before they became successful yeah? or did they work to get there.
if you're depending on these fake "tools" to get you ahead you probably suck in your field. A carpenters hammer is a necessity a watch is not. If you don't care for luxury items, just find something you like thats not following the crowd? The people of the forum can attest to how many "WHAT IS THE BEST SUB?" question. I'm pretty sure its a meme at this point. Which is the first thing you asked.

Incredible mental gymnastics.

You're gonna go on rep forum asking for the best rep to fool people to help you get ahead? Just be better.

Last edited:
Reactions: DR Russell

NeedaRollie

Horology Curious
9/5/20
So are we going to answer the question about the best rep.? I’d like to know..I thought it was a good question i have no idea what I want to buy but like the guy who asked the question I wanna get something that’s hard to spot as a rep it terms of feel meaning weight and color and so on

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

NeedaRollie

Horology Curious
9/5/20
So are we going to answer the question about the best rep.? I’d like to know..I thought it was a good question i have no idea what I want to buy but like the guy who asked the question I wanna get something that’s hard to spot as a rep it terms of feel meaning weight and color and so on

Sent from the RWI App

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
For OP and the one above asking what to get get the ZZF no date and you'll be safe (or date). It's that good out of the box and you won't be called out. I've seen in the eyecandy thread people are sometimes asking is it gen or not or stating that's the only rep they have to look twice to see if its gen or not.

With the no date you don't even need to swap the crystal.

Only thing you must make sure is you do good job with the QC to check all is good and aligned well.

Dave O

Known Member
27/3/20
NorCal
I don't really think there is one "best" replica sub. Noob, ARF and ZZF all make good replicas. But they each have their own flaws. One might have crown lugs that are a little off from a gen. One might have thicker lugs. ARF bracelets are considered the best by some. Some have better dials than others. You'll need to do the research on your own (RWI is a great resource) to decide which flaws you can live with and which ones you can't.

For me, I do not like the crown lugs, bracelet, bezel feel (too sharp) and the movement of the bezel on the ZZF. The ARF on the other hand has better bezel movement and a better bracelet - but the lugs are thicker than gen or ZZF. For me, I much prefer the ARF as I can live with its flaws much more over the ZZF. Others might be different, and that's ok. What flaws can you most live with? You might need to do some research to find out. ;)

Reactions: phdsjain

freetradecollection

Horology Curious
10/5/20
HAHAHAHAHAHA.

the people who started before you had fancy watches and cars before they became successful yeah? or did they work to get there.
if you're depending on these fake "tools" to get you ahead you probably suck in your field. A carpenters hammer is a necessity a watch is not. If you don't care for luxury items, just find something you like thats not following the crowd? The people of the forum can attest to how many "WHAT IS THE BEST SUB?" question. I'm pretty sure its a meme at this point. Which is the first thing you asked.

Incredible mental gymnastics.

You're gonna go on rep forum asking for the best rep to fool people to help you get ahead? Just be better.

I don't think you're understanding what Im saying. In any professional field it's expected that you work on bettering yourself to achieve the next level of success, employers expect to see some level of ambition from employees. When I was an engineer that meant I had to learn certain systems and get certain advanced certifications to move to the next level. In my current field of high level sales getting to the next level is all about my image and professionalism, hence the reason for this question.

Also the main misunderstanding you seem to have is thinking I'm buying a Rolex because I think it will make me successful. What you don't understand is I'm already successful in my current profession and last. I never said it was the key to success, but it will help me project a certain image which will in turn help me climb the ladder to the next salary bracket. Lastly to answer your question about the people that started before me, they 100% did buy things like luxury cars and watches to project a certain image when they were at my current salary level (150k-200k depending on sales) in order to get recognition / listings to move to the next level. I can also easily afford these things (after all I didn't have the option to buy a fake Mercedes) but the difference is I'm frugal so spending 15k on a watch is a complete waste of money to me, but if it's my only choice then I have no issues doing that. I just found this community and thought I could get away with it without having to drop that much money.

Lastly, you claim this topic is asked everyday and is a meme at this point, but I looked through the first 30 pages of posts before creating this one and I didn't see a single posts with this information based on the current models available.

freetradecollection

Horology Curious
10/5/20
Thanks to everyone that's posting actual advice. I've decided to go with a preowned genuine watch because I cannot take chances in my field, but it seems like this topic is relatable to others so please feel free to continue posting relevant information.

brokebuthappy

24/2/20
Yep, having a rep rolex and a leased car will significantly improve your sales skills. I know that when I see a listing agent with a rolex i know he knows what life is about.

You looked through the first 30 pages? Maybe we just look at the main home page and see: Or even the first page of the discussion and see:

Sticky:Review of ZZF New Sub 116610 LN and Comparison vs. Gen, ARF, Noob and Nail (PART I)
Started by jtimewatch, 19-05-19, 19:52

OR even
Sticky:
icon1.png
[CONSENSUAL LIST] Super Reps NWBIGs
Started by Omagad, 22-06-17, 15:58

Good thing you're so successful. Successful enough to not look at used watches at first that only go for ~4-9k. Nah the first choice was to get a rep. You're a sheep. Outta use that 70% you saved from your previous jobs and the huge success from this job that lead you to the forums and get a gen. You're expecting a rep to look/feel/pass off as a gen to show to your coworkers that you're living a type of lifestyle. You're afraid someone is gonna call you out on your rep? then don't get a rep.

Last edited:

FREEWIFI

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
Certified
24/2/19
I think that you are misleading this forum aim for a big part of the community. And also following my advice on my previous post moving to an entry level luxury watch (because a steel Submariner is an entry level watch, despite of waitlists and “building relationships with ADs” and all the BS you are going to read about)

A lot of us around here are collectors of watches, and rep watches are a collectible thing and a hobby- no a way of “scamming” the people or show off your wealthy lifestyle.
I can get- for example- a rep Cartier try it 2 or 3 days around my house and if don’t like it at all I sell it with a loss of 60-100€ and life goes on. With gen watches this scenario never happens (you lost 1000€ or you don’t buy 10.000€ pieces just to see how it fits on you)

Also a lot of us own gen watches and we are on other boards of the genre, we are not around here to talk about salaries investments and other things like that or how a replica watch can improve your professional career or what is the most accurate replica to show off with your colleagues- this last point seems pathetic by my point of view even with gen or rep watches.

Finally I never got called out on a watch, well in fact yes while wearing a gen (and more expensive than a ceramic submariner) by a guy with a leased X6 worried about me owning a more expensive watch than his.

freetradecollection

Horology Curious
10/5/20
Yep, having a rep rolex and a leased car will significantly improve your sales skills. I know that when I see a listing agent with a rolex i know he knows what life is about.

None of those posts are in the first 30 pages of this forum. Also most of them are discussing older models and not the current model lineup. The only one I see that may have relevant information is the one from Jtime which I missed when searching, so thank you for posting that as I'm sure it will be helpful to some newer users that's still looking to go down this path.

Also like I stated I'm no longer going to get a rep because I cannot afford for someone to call me out because It will directly effect my career. I'm not sure why you're so mad that I wanted a rep that looked real. Isn't that the whole point of a rep and this forum? Had I known that they didn't look/feel real from the start then I wouldn't have started this post in the first place.

I still don't think you understand my job, I'm not trying to be a "sheep" and "show off" to my coworkers. I'm trying to project and certain image so I can be tasked with listings that require that level of success, there's a huge difference. I think you need to research how high level sales works before you reply again. I'll give you a real world example to try to help you understand although I'm sure it wouldn't do much.

Example - My management has a client that they're trying to impress to get a 100 million dollar contract. They decide to have one of us realtors take them out to a business dinner to try to gain some points and impress said client. These events normally cost the company thousands of dollars. Now my management has a choice to make. Lets say that all their realtors are at around the same skill level (you have to be in the top 1% of the world to survive in NYC). They have to choose whoever they think will make the company look the most impressive. Things like cars and watches 100% come into play in these types of situations. Simple things like having a S-class and a Rolex will give me the edge over someone that has an e-class and an Apple Watch. These things 100% matter in the real world when you're competing at the top level. Now imagine this, My boss chooses me and the client is a watch collector and realizes I have a fake Rolex. What do you think will happen? Something as simple as that can be career ending in my field.

Lastly I still don't think you understand the difference between successful and frugal. Warren Buffet lives in a 600k house, does that mean he's not successful? being frugal doesn't mean I'm not successful. I just try to be smart with my money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalev007

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
Reminds me a time long ago when I first got into sales and knew nothing about watches but noticed people are looking at your watch. I thought I was killing it when I replaced my Swatch chrono with a gold plated Hugo Boss watch.

If anybody has an access to a time machine please go back and shoot me.

Reactions: Screwtape

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Thanks to everyone that's posting actual advice. I've decided to go with a preowned genuine watch because I cannot take chances in my field, but it seems like this topic is relatable to others so please feel free to continue posting relevant information.

Good choice, I'd also think twice about that whole Rolex thing. When I see someone with the usual Rolex models, I tend to think they just wanted an expensive watch and everone needs to know. There's other brands that are also expensive but show more enthusiasm about watches. JLC, Zenith, A. Lange or Seiko would be brands I'd think about.

And regarding the whole sales topic. Everyone can "impress" client with cars, watches and expensive restaurants. How do you set your self apart from the competition? I had an important customer in China several years ago and we're talking about huge figures automotive business. After dinner in Shanghai, we end up having drinks in a roof top bar. I just went out for a few minutes to call my family and say good night to my kids. The customer's CTO asks who I called and tells me about his family/kids and so on. Next thing I know I'm invited to dinner at his house the next day. Long story short: we closed the deal and I can assure you it wasn't about bragging with expensive cars, watches and so on. Like I said: all your competitors can lease the same expensive car and buy a Rolex, you'll just blend in and make no difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: axel.gold

FREEWIFI

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
Certified
24/2/19
None of those posts are in the first 30 pages of this forum. Also most of them are discussing older models and not the current model lineup. The only one I see that may have relevant information is the one from Jtime which I missed when searching, so thank you for posting that as I'm sure it will be helpful to some newer users that's still looking to go down this path.

Also like I stated I'm no longer going to get a rep because I cannot afford for someone to call me out because It will directly effect my career. I'm not sure why you're so mad that I wanted a rep that looked real. Isn't that the whole point of a rep and this forum? Had I known that they didn't look/feel real from the start then I wouldn't have started this post in the first place.

I still don't think you understand my job, I'm not trying to be a "sheep" and "show off" to my coworkers. I'm trying to project and certain image so I can be tasked with listings that require that level of success, there's a huge difference. I think you need to research how high level sales works before you reply again. I'll give you a real world example to try to help you understand although I'm sure it wouldn't do much.

Example - My management has a client that they're trying to impress to get a 100 million dollar contract. They decide to have one of us realtors take them out to a business dinner to try to gain some points and impress said client. These events normally cost the company thousands of dollars. Now my management has a choice to make. Lets say that all their realtors are at around the same skill level (you have to be in the top 1% of the world to survive in NYC). They have to choose whoever they think will make the company look the most impressive. Things like cars and watches 100% come into play in these types of situations. Simple things like having a S-class and a Rolex will give me the edge over someone that has an e-class and an Apple Watch. These things 100% matter in the real world when you're competing at the top level. Now imagine this, My boss chooses me and the client is a watch collector and realizes I have a fake Rolex. What do you think will happen? Something as simple as that can be career ending in my field.

Lastly I still don't think you understand the difference between successful and frugal. Warren Buffet lives in a 600k house, does that mean he's not successful? being frugal doesn't mean I'm not successful. I just try to be smart with my money.

If a watch it can be so determining in your actual job scenario/career development and you are earning next to a quarter yearly go and get a gen watch.

This is like saying: I was diagnosed with this serious medical condition, which is the cheapest hospital to undergone the surgery?

Reactions: axel.gold