• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF 126334 DateJust 41, Best in the market

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
My datewheel felt gritty when I changed dates so I rolled it some more and some yellow dirt/glue came out from the top of the dw window! It's now hanging from the top of the dw and obstructing some of the date.

Any thoughts on next steps? Sending back to china doesn't sound so appealing. Should I buy a watchmaker kit and open it up? Should I get some money back?

Contact your TD and explain the problem, let them handle the problem. If you try to fix it on your own you void any warranty that you may have.

Last edited:

Rolliearf

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/5/19
Contact your TD and explain the problem, let them handle the problem. If you try to fix it on your own you void any warranty that you may have.

What good is a warranty if your watch magically goes missing on its way to china?

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
What good is a warranty if your watch magically goes missing on its way to china?

Your TD may authorize you to have it repaired locally and reimburse you. Many members have sent their watches back to China for repair/servicing and gotten them back without any problems. You just have to follow your TD's shipping instructions. Best of luck.

Reactions: ZenWatch

Rolliearf

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/5/19
Your TD may authorize you to have it repaired locally and reimburse you. Many members have sent their watches back to China for repair/servicing and gotten them back without any problems. You just have to follow your TD's shipping instructions. Best of luck.

He says i can do it locally and he will reimburse me $25. That probably doesn't cover it but is that better then shipping it back?

On a separate note, what mods have been proven to be viable for this watch? I have read this entire thread and every thread about this watch online i could find. It seems to date no one has successfully performed a dw mod (people say the dw that works is from 3235 but no proof). Can the dial be swapped with a gen?

I would change the dial, crystal, datewheel if i could figure out which parts will work. I think that would make the ultimate franken.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
He says i can do it locally and he will reimburse me $25. That probably doesn't cover it but is that better then shipping it back?

On a separate note, what mods have been proven to be viable for this watch? I have read this entire thread and every thread about this watch online i could find. It seems to date no one has successfully performed a dw mod (people say the dw that works is from 3235 but no proof). Can the dial be swapped with a gen?

I would change the dial, crystal, datewheel if i could figure out which parts will work. I think that would make the ultimate franken.

I would accept your TD's offer if you're not comfortable with shipping it back to China. From your description of the problem, I think a service/cleaning will fix the present problem.

As far as modifications for this watch, the date wheel seems to be a popular complaint, it needs an economical replacement (gen will cost too much and availability is a problem). Within the Patek Philippe sub-forum the same date wheel problem existed for different models, a few members got together and developed several date wheel models and made them available for $40.00 plus shipping. The Rolex community can do the same, it just needs some initiative.

I would wait to do any further mods until proven ones are presented.

Reactions: Razorig2

Tmcguigan

Horology Curious
15/5/19
The dw mod can definitely be done. I made a boob and initially bought a gen 3135 dw for the 41 as admittedly i didnt do enough research. For anyone reading the 3135 dw can only be used on the 36.

Anyway i purchased a gen 3235 dw and had that fitted. The watchsmith advised me he had to swap the 2824 dw for a 2836 dw then had the 3235 fitted ontop of that so there were no clearance issues. The watch is currently on its way back to me so will add pics once it arrives

Bobi01

Put Some Respect On My Name
2/2/19
The dw mod can definitely be done. I made a boob and initially bought a gen 3135 dw for the 41 as admittedly i didnt do enough research. For anyone reading the 3135 dw can only be used on the 36.

Anyway i purchased a gen 3235 dw and had that fitted. The watchsmith advised me he had to swap the 2824 dw for a 2836 dw then had the 3235 fitted ontop of that so there were no clearance issues. The watch is currently on its way back to me so will add pics once it arrives

Why is needed both 2836 and gen 3235?

Bobi01

2/2/19
Is it normal for 2824 to gain 10 seconds per day? I auto wound it (shaked it) in the morning and wear it all day and at night put it on sleep in the box,in the morning checked time and it was still runing with 10+ seconds... is that normal for 2824?

dustimage

Known Member
12/4/19
Is it normal for 2824 to gain 10 seconds per day? I auto wound it (shaked it) in the morning and wear it all day and at night put it on sleep in the box,in the morning checked time and it was still runing with 10+ seconds... is that normal for 2824?

I will say it is normal, but if your watch was running better previously and please check if your watch has been magnetized.

Bobi01

2/2/19
I will say it is normal, but if your watch was running better previously and please check if your watch has been magnetized.

What do you mean magnetized?
Btw when i wear i all day it gains about 2-3 seconds and at the night when i put it in box then it gains more

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
Why is needed both 2836 and gen 3235?

It’s the same with the Submariner 2824 & Gen DW mod. My 3135 DW has to be placed on top of a Gen 2836 for the same reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bobi01

shortlegs

31/5/19
Can I ask are you a youngster? my experience is the younger members have this obsession with being ‘called out’ (fear of piers/friendship group exposing their fake watch they told them all was genuine) it seems everyone is fixated on what other have. dont bother lying to people, it’s a waste of time

Anyway, people think dhgate shit or market stall on holiday reps are good because they bare some resemblance and the name of the brand it’s imitating. These high end reps are the closest thing to the real deal. Highly unlikely anyone would know.

Ha, I'm 37, hardly a youngster..

My fear if being called out probably stems from:

1. I'm new to reps and have no idea how they truly look and feel like in hand. So I'm trying to learn what are the things that give away a rep.

2. Seeing forum members here call out flaws and tells of a rep seemingly without effort made me worried that its either actually really easy to do so, or that there are many people who can do so, or both.

3. Many people I know (not friends, mind you) tend to be judgemental about such stuff, and they wouldn't understand that we are just trying to enjoy watches. It's not that I mind them knowing I'm wearing a rep, but the inevitable questions and what not that follows are things I'd rather not have to deal with at all. So I figured it's better to minimise the chance of a tell in the first place.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Tobel

6/7/17
Ha, I'm 37, hardly a youngster..

My fear if being called out probably stems from:

1. I'm new to reps and have no idea how they truly look and feel like in hand. So I'm trying to learn what are the things that give away a rep.

2. Seeing forum members here call out flaws and tells of a rep seemingly without effort made me worried that its either actually really easy to do so, or that there are many people who can do so, or both.

3. Many people I know (not friends, mind you) tend to be judgemental about such stuff, and they wouldn't understand that we are just trying to enjoy watches. It's not that I mind them knowing I'm wearing a rep, but the inevitable questions and what not that follows are things I'd rather not have to deal with at all. So I figured it's better to minimise the chance of a tell in the first place.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Your points are understandable. You should keep in mind that this forum hosts people who spend a lot of time looking at macro pics of watches and analyzing the "flaws". In real life your watch will be moving, it won't be looked at through a zoom, and the people who look at it will be mostly folks who don't care about watches, followed by people who have some interest but can't tell the difference unless they have the gen right next to it, and maybe not even then. Finally you'll have the 1% of the 1% who could tell the difference if they looked carefully but again with a watch on a wrist and not a static picture they will probably not notice. So enjoy the watch without worrying too much ;)

shortlegs

31/5/19
Your points are understandable. You should keep in mind that this forum hosts people who spend a lot of time looking at macro pics of watches and analyzing the "flaws". In real life your watch will be moving, it won't be looked at through a zoom, and the people who look at it will be mostly folks who don't care about watches, followed by people who have some interest but can't tell the difference unless they have the gen right next to it, and maybe not even then. Finally you'll have the 1% of the 1% who could tell the difference if they looked carefully but again with a watch on a wrist and not a static picture they will probably not notice. So enjoy the watch without worrying too much ;)

Thanks! That's what I'm trying to get myself used to. Enjoy the rep and not overthink things. But boy it's easy to become obsessed with the smallest things when browsing the forums.. Ha..

Tobel

6/7/17
Thanks! That's what I'm trying to get myself used to. Enjoy the rep and not overthink things. But boy it's easy to become obsessed with the smallest things when browsing the forums.. Ha..

I don't know if you've already ordered your first rep or not yet, but when you get your first you realize how small these details are. Enjoy the hobby, and if you get addicted and want to take it to the next level, you'll be interested into modding and frankening ;)

Reactions: NewbyUK

Bobi01

2/2/19

Very true

dom1986

Renowned Member
20/1/15

My watchsmith told me the exact same thing, so i am guessing we are using the same person in the UK? One hitch for me, where did you source your 2836 dw from? I have access to a 3235, just struggling to get a 2836, shoot me a PM if possible?

dom1986

Renowned Member
20/1/15