• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Appreciate the damage of GEN suffers when it is copied (Tudor Black Bay GMT M79470, A comprehensive comparison of gen and ZF)

steve_theonewatches

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
27/6/16
Hello, I'm Steve, I'm back, I've done a lot of GEN and replica Rolex models comparisons, it's time to check Rolex's little brother Tudor, LOL!

ZF recently just released a new Black Bay GMT M79470, so let's take a look and see what ZF has done with this new product, by the way, you can also get a closer look at the authentic Tudor workmanship details, after all, it is Rolex's little brother, I think it should not be bad.

Enough crap now, and if I don't start again you'll think I'm an old lady, haha.

e53d9228.jpg
c92ecd95.jpg

Front view of the dial

In terms of color, there is no second pure black in the world, so there is no need to worry about color difference on the black dial. As we can see, there is a small crack on 6 marker in the gen since it has been scratched when ZF replicas the model for the marker. But this is enough to see that the ZF factory is doing a true 1 to 1 replica, even a small accessory need to be disassembled to replicate, so as to do the closest.

840b8e70.jpg
110fe1fd.jpg

Bezel side view

Gen bezel is made of frosted steel, the surface frosting treatment of ZF bezel is still very good, very delicate, the edge of the transition to the side of the rounded smooth processing is also very good.
dc84e525.jpg
af62c9a0.jpg

Crystal side view

The chamfered level of the crystal side and the GEN are also very similar, and the height remains the same.
709627e9.jpg
e58a51ff.jpg
05a8df69.jpg
a08946f2.jpg
7b4c6d1e.jpg
4f59391c.jpg
82a46a52.jpg
34386549.jpg
3dce8dd8.jpg
bf129934.jpg
d8ae027f.jpg
b5dba779.jpg
3b15040d.jpg

Bezel number view

The shape of the ZF inked numerals is well controlled and consistent with the GEN, but the slightest shortcoming is that some of the numerals are a little off the outer edge, but the good thing is that it is hard to notice with the naked eye. In addition, because the GEN is worn and used, the inked numbers on the bezel are stained with oil and dust, so it looks shinier and the surface of the numbers look untidy, while the ZF looks more comfortable.

Last edited:

steve_theonewatches

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
27/6/16
b0fcfe64.jpg
e49d7b73.jpg
d92e4635.jpg

Side view of the markers

The ZF maker is made of Super-Luminova luminescent coating to make a whole stick marker, and there is no difference between the shape and size of the GEN scale.

In addition, you can see that the triangular scale and the bar scale of GEN have a white edge at the bottom edge, which is not perfectly recovered by ZF factory after using GEN scale.
57bf4baf.jpg
a017d7fe.jpg

Lume filled view

The lume fill of the GEN hands is very granular, while the ZF lume fill is lacking and is slightly raised in places. The GEN markings are where the grain filling on the surface has been scratched out. It is very easy to damage such delicate accessories by using authentic 1 :1 replicas.
You can zoom in on the second photo to see that the surface of the ZF circular marker has the same texture as the gen. It is very crystalline and translucent. The yellow dust on the surface of the GEN is the result of dust.
7c13d4c2.jpg
9a49bbe5.jpg
9a803f7a.jpg
3ee32fcd.jpg

View of the oil-printed font on the dial

The font shape of ZF dial is also very good, and the color of the yellow font is almost colorless compared to GEN.

ff5ac886.jpg
5aff38b6.jpg
1f2a0ea9.jpg

Hands Central axle view

Due to the different construction of the movement, the center pin of the ZF hand is slightly higher than gen. The center of the second hand is the same size and thickness as the gen, with a slightly raised shaft, which is still very good.

The black sandblasting is also very neatly finished. On the other hand, the sandblasted parts of the gen are already leaking fluid. I don't think it was originally intended to be this condition. It should have been damaged in the process of previous replication. After all, it's a $4,500 Swiss watch, so there's no way such poor detailing could have occurred.
2c8fef7c.jpg
e1ce1e29.jpg

Date wheel veiw

The shape of the date wheel is very well made by ZF, with the same beveled slope as the gen. And the date wheel is also Full-bodied and three-dimensional.

However, the seconds marker at 3 o'clock is a little short.
fadbf514.jpg

In addition, you can obviously see that the ZF calendar digital position is a little down, this is just a little problem in the assembly of this calendar wheel we used for the shooting caused by, I also check our recent QC photos (you can view the photos above), to confirm that this is just an example, you do not need to care, as long as the QC check clearly on the line.
2cb3133b.jpg
e2fdd3a7.jpg
dbef4681.jpg

Side view of the crown

ZF has done a great job on the edges of the crown teeth, which are as rounded as the gen. And the engraving of classic Tudor plum logo is also stereoscopic clarity.

Last edited:

steve_theonewatches

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
27/6/16
d11a1009.jpg
f5a6da85.jpg

Side view of the case

There is nothing wrong with the ZF case shape either. And the curvature of the case and the lugs are also the same as the gen.

1d4b88b9.jpg
422008f5.jpg

Back case view

The back case teeth are also very well finished by ZF. However, the length of the bevel on the side of the back case is slightly longer compared to the gen.

The good thing is that the distance to the naked eye is actually quite noticeable
bbe6e4fc.jpg
077a488e.jpg
1d84dfdd.jpg
09156cfd.jpg

Engraved view of the case back and lugs

The engraving on the case back is very close to the gen in terms of depth and coordination.

The numbered engravings on the lugs are particularly good, as they are difficult to distinguish even when magnified to macro.

96d888e8.jpg
26cf53d3.jpg
fa3f571a.jpg
20f0cd45.jpg
8a3bfe52.jpg
6d2f864b.jpg

Strap detail view

The overall fit of the ZF strap is excellent, with relatively small gaps.

The clasp polishing is also very well finished.

The adjustment length is up to 8 mm and the feel of the adjustment is smooth, just like the gen quick-adjustment mechanism.

Factory engraving on the inside claims to use the same stamping process as the gen. There are differences in the actual carving marks, but in terms of depth and shape, they are very well done.
7719a7cc.jpg

Lume view

The lume color of ZF is the same as the gen and there is no difference.

d9a2693f.jpg
37742f97.jpg

Movement view

The movement of gen is Tudor's own MT5652, and the ZF applies the Asia 2836 movement. ZF one does not have a brass plate or engraving to imitate a gen movement. The balance wheel is also in the opposite position to that of the gen. But for models with a solid case back, this doesn't matter too much. After all, no one would be bored enough to open the back of your watch. What do you think about it?

Last edited:

steve_theonewatches

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
27/6/16
fefdc019.jpg
004416cb.jpg
41ffba4c.jpg
77db9859.jpg

Comparative view of data

Note: All watches are measured in a clamped state, and there may be errors due to the slight deviation of the position of the caliper. In addition, GEN intercepts the strap, and the factory has a steel strap protective film that has not been torn off.

The ZF is identical to the gen, except for the weight, which is slightly lighter than gen.

Well, that's it for today's post. On the whole, this new Tudor from ZF is a very well made and high quality replica watch. There are still a few things that are not perfect, but we can't ask for too much more than that. After all, this model is only made in the ZF factory at the moment. We don't have to be too hard on ourselves. When there is no choice, it is actually the best choice.

On a side note, the market for this non-popular model is relatively small in itself. Regardless of how well it's actually being done, it is already giving us a few more options that a large factory is doing it. At least we won't be confined to a few popular models when it comes to choose replica watches.

Finally, thanks to the guys for watching. Please correct me if there are any mistakes. If there is anything else that I have overlooked, please feel free to ask and I will add as much as I can to it.

Illustration: Some photos deviate from the real object due to the light source. For details, please refer to the content. The size of the comparison picture is relatively large, you can download it and enlarge it for comparison.

There is no perfect replica, only the one you prefer.

Thanks.

Steve

Telegram: u/Theonewatches_steve

WhatsApp: + 86-17081934955

Email: [email protected]

Wechat: The5711

Last edited:

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Thanks for this. Very interesting, and as you say, it’s wonderful to see this much attention being given to a watch which is neither super valuable or popular.

Let us hope that the same attention to detail can be given to the Pelagos 39mm!

rankiba

Renowned Member
26/4/13
Thanks for this and actually this looks super good, sure there are small details here and there but let's be honest, who would think "Is that a rep tudor on his wrist?". I might get this. Did the factory make other straps for this watch? @steve_theonewatches

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Excellent review as usual, thanks Steve!

Looks like another solid effort from ZF. Someone there goofed on this second hand install and bent the hand pinion, ouch. Also note that the ZF handstack is incorrect (ICHS) though nearly imperceptible due to black hand roots.

3mDJEQ.jpg

Not a knock on the rep but a few of the bezel number fonts are not pretty IMO. In particular 10 18 20 and all the 2's look awkward to me.

3mDxrS.jpg

Maybe these numbers will get tweaked over time. The Rolex 1655 Explorer had several bezel number tweaks, any of these would be preferable to me. I mean Tudor basically copied the 1655 so why not go all out?

3mZzmv.jpg

Last edited:

Geonor

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
20/5/22
Norway
Very good post, thank very much for doing these in-depth reviews! What I couldn't let go in my head looking at these pictures is that ZF is clearly able to make dials with texture and for some reason refused to update the dial of the BB58 with this kind of texture. Thank you again though for your work!

4thgendan

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/12/21
United States
Great review, they did a phenomenal job on this gmt. The flaws are minimal and most people won’t be able to see with the naked eye. Should be a nice daily 👍.

centrum

27/7/14
Thanks Steve for the post. The watch is not too shabby.

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Thanks mate, great effort and detail, very informative.
Very good job from ZF, very well done.
I would assume the movement could be swapped for a CHS one, but as many pointed out, if its stable, is really non-issue.

I was hesitant at first, but after @mclarendude got his, I started seriously thinking about this one, more I see the detail, more I think it will happen. And I hate snowflake hands lol.

Reactions: mclarendude

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Thanks Steve for this through review. I might be biased as I love mine (currently on the wrist), but I think ZF's effort is commendable. There might be a V2 in the future, but I just don't see the need yet. This thing is very good as it is for me.

Another thing, the good thing about ZF is that one can fix the date position at home easily.

Reactions: Procurator

dangerdan3

Renowned Member
3/12/20
It’s great to see factories going to this level to accurately replicate details. Hopefully ZF tackle the Pelagos 39 too.

Reactions: mclarendude

cvondra

Horology Curious
Supporter
29/7/19
The GMT hand is in the wrong position on the stack.
Funny I skimmed the review and didn't see the reference. Went back after all the self-righteous di*kheads here could just reference it but instead be d*cks. Appreciate it.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Sure told me! If that gif makes me an asshole or a dick, wait until you meet the rest of the members. 4 years in and haven’t learned much.

How will I recover!