• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP 15400 V4 Build W/ Gen Dial+Case Thinning- Review

rari

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/10/17
USA
First review on here so I will try my best to hit the highlights of this build and also my thoughts of the current V4’s.

All mods were done by legend. The mods that were done include the gen dial, case thinning and also a 1xar crystal.

The case was thinned to 9.9MM and the difference is quite noticeable both on and off the wrist.

As for the gen dial, the difference between the gen dial and the V4 dial is day and night. When I was first looking at some comparison pictures I initially thought that there was a slight difference but it would not make as much of a difference. Upon seeing the gen dial installed in person I can say that the V4 dial is not close to the gen dial at all. Sure the black might be the closest to gen but it is still far off. The gen dial has a shine and glow to it while the V4 dial simply looks like a matte finish and flat; also the squares look a bit more bubbly. Before doing this build I read a lot on the V4 dial and how close it was so it surprised me to see how much of a difference there actually was unlike what I read.

Pictures:

5H3po.jpg

5H5nK.jpg

5Ha7L.jpg

5HBre.jpg

5LZwT.jpg

V4 Dial:

5LEpA.jpg

As for the review, not sure what else someone could be looking for but if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Also if anyone is looking to buy the V4 dial or V4 crystal let me know. Will probably list them for sale on here within the next few days. Also a 2xAR crystal for the 15400

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
The new dial looks really crisp. Love the thinness. Brilliant work by legend. Can you go into more detail about the case modifications, other movement/mod work?

Reactions: legend and rari

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Congrats Rari!

The gen dial is what stands out on your watch IMHO.
I’ve read many threads about how this and that color is “closest to gen” but the fact is, all the dials and colors are flawed and comparing which is closest to gen is always like deciding which is least flawed, rather than more accurate.
Majority of the reviews or comparison done here, with exception of the one done by mech500, are likely from comparison of, or reference to online pics. In person, the black rep dial (or blue dial for that matter) looks nothing like gen in terms of texture, crispness, finishing and yes even color. Those giving advice to others on the color should minimally have seen the gen VS rep, side by side in person, and be aware that we are choosing the best of flawed colors and textures.
The 15400 v4 is a good rep (any color) don’t get me wrong. The dial (whatever color) just pales next to the gen once you know what to look for. Pick any color you like and not one because it is “closest to gen”
Rari’s watch is what I consider to be a basic franken. A franken by definition, and yes it does eliminate the tells on the dial.
Congrats once again and wear it well. I do like your 2017 gen black dial quite a fair bit personally. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rari

26/10/17
USA
The new dial looks really crisp. Love the thinness. Brilliant work by legend. Can you go into more detail about the case modifications, other movement/mod work?

I also had the rotor silenced as it was quite loud. As for the casing, I am not sure how thick it was before but it is definitely a noticeable difference both from how it sits on the wrist and also how it feels on the wrist in my opinion

Reactions: Jurgenk and legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I also had the rotor silenced as it was quite loud. As for the casing, I am not sure how thick it was before but it is definitely a noticeable difference both from how it sits on the wrist and also how it feels on the wrist in my opinion

The case before thinning was about 10.6mm if I recall correctly.

Rolemars

Renowned Member
13/1/19
EU
Stunning! Gen dial looks amazing. :)
How much difference does the 1xAR cristal make when compared to the one included in the V4? I notice the stock cristal makes dial look a bit milky sometimes, but the 2AR looks off too.
Can you show us some more pictures (or video!) of it outside in natural daylight? :D

rari

26/10/17
USA
Stunning! Gen dial looks amazing. :)
How much difference does the 1xAR cristal make when compared to the one included in the V4? I notice the stock cristal makes dial look a bit milky sometimes, but the 2AR looks off too.
Can you show us some more pictures (or video!) of it outside in natural daylight? :D

I can’t speak too much in regards to the crystal since I didn’t have the V4 crystal in with the gen dial but in my opinion it was a bit milky with the V4 dial. I will try to get some daylight shots up within the next few days

Sent from the RWI App

bosaftw

6/6/16
Germany
Imo the steel of the V4 is too soft.
JF needs to change to another steel like ARF, Noob and other factories changed from 316 to 904 steel on rolex models.

N0tail_

1/6/17
JF needs to change to another steel like ARF, Noob and other factories changed from 316 to 904 steel on rolex models.

I agree. While it looks identical to gen in terms of colour and brushing, when I had my V2J and V4 I babied the thing like crazy and would still get micro scratches all along the bracelet.

Reactions: rari

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Gen AP steel scratches like crazy too just FYI. If you own one thinking that you can throw your wrists against walls and doors and not get the steel scratch you’ll be sorely disappointed. I agree that Rolex steel is a lot more resistant to gen AP ones. I’m speaking from experience as the owner of gen watches from both brands. The gen AP steel is relatively soft as well!

Genta2014

Patron
Certified
31/3/14
Very nice :)

Is there difference between the V2 15400 version an the V4 apart from the dial and DW? I mean the case/engravings/decoplate/crown/bracelet etc?

Reactions: rari

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Very nice :)

Is there difference between the V2 15400 version an the V4 apart from the dial and DW? I mean the case/engravings/decoplate/crown/bracelet etc?

Datewheel is the greatest difference other than dial between the two versions.

Reactions: Allure and rari

Genta2014

Patron
Certified
31/3/14
Thanks :) legend ! So when i have a V2 and put the gen dial in +v4 datewheel it is the same ?