• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP 15400 black&white Gen vs. ZF vs. APSF comparison pictures

tinitonsi

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
21/3/14
I really like the Aps, I made a comparison with a gen and in my opinion it has a better bezel than the zf. With a gen dial it is a very good combo.
The above 2 posts were from 2 guys with way more gens and genstein frankens than rep… so believe me, they know what they’re saying ;)

Paolo1966

Renowned Member
22/7/21
The above 2 posts were from 2 guys with way more gens and genstein frankens than rep… so believe me, they know what they’re saying ;)
I don’t have a replica watch buy/sell business like you or like others.

I bought some watches and I made a comparison without interest.. is different.. chinese watches will be always fake shitting watches.. some are better on some side.. others on other side.

Ferrichie

Horology Curious
12/5/22
Hi everyone, I’m new and I just received my APSF 15400 V3 3120 clone movement with Black Dial. I have a plan to franken it with a gen black dial that I bought.

When I receive the APSF watch, I compare the watch to my wife gen 33mm AP and I feel like the finishing is quite different. The gen is ‘mirror like’ and catch the lights very bright. When compared to APSF’s finishing, it looks like a little dull. Then I compared it to my ZF 15703 diver, and yes, the finishing of ZF is more like gen (imo).. and oh shit, I thought I chose the wrong factory..

(well the only positive thing from APSF is the edge definately not SHARP at all, just like gen compared to the ZF 15703 diver I own)

Meanwhile these things are things that couldn’t gathered from pictures.

@legend as an AP expert and own some gen, I read your thread about general AP question and you recommend APSF for 15400. Can I ask your opinion why?

Ferrichie

Horology Curious
12/5/22
*the finishing (brush) of ZF also more like gen in the picture Ctime posted (imo)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I think a lot of rep owners need to be aware of these:

- the gen steel APs are made from 316 steel and the color can differ slightly from batch to batch and also among watches of different ages. Stainless steel unlike gold does not react as actively to the environment and body secretions as much as gold but they still can change the way the steel looks over time. There is no one “gen look”

- ladies AP watches are finished differently from men’s. The brush width for example are different. Also for many ladies models the surface is given a polish before the brushing is done and when done right it gives the effect of a brighter steel base with brushing. Also, you need to understand that watches sent into the AP service center tends to emerge with polishing done to accentuate the steel color.

- you’re comparing a rep Royal oak to a rep diver to a gen ladies AP. The variants which are inherent in the comparison are complex and multi-tiered and I can assure you that you’re able to find a gen 15400 which matches the look of your rep and also a rep 33mm which is finished to emulate the gen. Moreover your sample size of 3 isn’t conclusive. It’s anecdotal and empirical at best. But the eye sees what it sees. That I respect.

- don’t get hung up over sharp edges. The gen bracelets often have these too and I already had to soften these on a few of my gens myself, as a matter of preference.

- the hand finish done on the gen is typically better when new, resulting in a brighter steel color base and more refined brushing but this same can be replicated in the rep given that both are largely the same steel material grade and there is no fiercely guarded finish process. Remember though that when both are worn regularly for years, they tend to look the same. Neither gen or rep is exempted from the laws of nature, chemistry and physics. There is no gen steel watch which is immune to weathering and wearing and will keep its luster forever.

- APSF and ZF are both replicas. Others may not know but you will always do. Pick whatever suits your fancy. If you think the ZF is finished better, buy one and wear it then. I won’t defend my choice, I will choose the APSF over the ZF based on consideration of many details. Neither is perfect but both can bring the owner joy for sure.

Don’t worry too much about which replica is better. The best replica available is still a replica and I’ve seen gens which look a lot worse than the average replica. Being hand finished, the gens will never look identical across batches. That is why there is a factory QC process before the watches are released but guess what, the QC work is done by human eyes and hands and therefore not infallible. You’re in good hands as long as you pick one of the modern replicas from whatever factory which tickle your fancy. Can’t go wrong choosing either, where rep APs go.

Ferrichie

Horology Curious
12/5/22

- the gen steel APs are made from 316 steel and the color can differ slightly from batch to batch and also among watches of different ages. Stainless steel unlike gold does not react as actively to the environment and body secretions as much as gold but they still can change the way the steel looks over time. There is no one “gen look”

- ladies AP watches are finished differently from men’s. The brush width for example are different. Also for many ladies models the surface is given a polish before the brushing is done and when done right it gives the effect of a brighter steel base with brushing. Also, you need to understand that watches sent into the AP service center tends to emerge with polishing done to accentuate the steel color.

- you’re comparing a rep Royal oak to a rep diver to a gen ladies AP. The variants which are inherent in the comparison are complex and multi-tiered and I can assure you that you’re able to find a gen 15400 which matches the look of your rep and also a rep 33mm which is finished to emulate the gen. Moreover your sample size of 3 isn’t conclusive. It’s anecdotal and empirical at best. But the eye sees what it sees. That I respect.

- don’t get hung up over sharp edges. The gen bracelets often have these too and I already had to soften these on a few of my gens myself, as a matter of preference.

- the hand finish done on the gen is typically better when new, resulting in a brighter steel color base and more refined brushing but this same can be replicated in the rep given that both are largely the same steel material grade and there is no fiercely guarded finish process. Remember though that when both are worn regularly for years, they tend to look the same. Neither gen or rep is exempted from the laws of nature, chemistry and physics. There is no gen steel watch which is immune to weathering and wearing and will keep its luster forever.

- APSF and ZF are both replicas. Others may not know but you will always do. Pick whatever suits your fancy. If you think the ZF is finished better, buy one and wear it then. I won’t defend my choice, I will choose the APSF over the ZF based on consideration of many details. Neither is perfect but both can bring the owner joy for sure.

Don’t worry too much about which replica is better. The best replica available is still a replica and I’ve seen gens which look a lot worse than the average replica. Being hand finished, the gens will never look identical across batches. That is why there is a factory QC process before the watches are released but guess what, the QC work is done by human eyes and hands and therefore not infallible. You’re in good hands as long as you pick one of the modern replicas from whatever factory which tickle your fancy. Can’t go wrong choosing either, where rep APs go.

Ferrichie

Horology Curious
12/5/22
@legend A very well writings from an educated person. Respect sir Legend for speaking opinion, fact and experience. Vast yet covering all the subjects on the topic. I did my due dilligence but yet trying to be on the same page as you when seeing the 15400 APSF and ZF, which I know it’s not easy and very subjective. Though your explanation breaks my idealism.

Thank you for your explanation and time for replying :)

kiasunkiasi

16/6/23
Malaysia

let's say I narrow down to getting a 15400, what's your preference / view over plain 15400 vs. frosted "gold" 15400?
thanks

serumdiesel

Madman
17/3/21
*the finishing (brush) of ZF also more like gen in the picture Ctime posted (imo)

All that aside, as far as the 15400 is concerned, I've read that the APSF case thickness is gen-spec (or nearer gen-spec) when compared with ZF which is a bit thicker.

AliHamid

Horology Curious
12/6/23
Turkey
All that aside, as far as the 15400 is concerned, I've read that the APSF case thickness is gen-spec (or nearer gen-spec) when compared with ZF which is a bit thicker.
I don't think that's true. Both ZF and APSF are 10mm while the gen is 9.8mm.

serumdiesel

Madman
17/3/21
I don't think that's true. Both ZF and APSF are 10mm while the gen is 9.8mm.

I've heard differently, and specifically with regard to the updated "superclone" movement versions. One way to find out for sure...