• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP 15400 black&white Gen vs. ZF vs. APSF comparison pictures

CTime

Renowned Member
Trusted Dealer
29/9/22
Guangzhou, China
Hi, my friends

Today we bring you one of the most popular AP’s comparison.

The overall of ZF, APSF watches are in a very similar situation, they use the same movement and are sold at the same price.

As I can see, for the white dial, APSF is more close to gen. ZF is a bit greyish.

The square texture on the dial from ZF is about the same to gen, APSF made it somehow higher and smaller.

For the markers and hands, two factories seem in about the same quality level

The cases and bracelets are mostly identical, but engraving font is a little different at every place.

For the case back, APSF had thinner font and used a different version of engraving.

For the clasp, APSF nailed it on the shape and texture.

There normally won't be too much difference on the black color, but there will be different textures.

ZF and APSF 15400 are using same 3120 movement, functionally the same. Just the rotors are different and both are not so alike from gen.

In my opinion, even many factories have the same movement now, the old JF still had the best quality of AP, sad they are gone.

That's all, see you on the next one

Ctime

EggsVoL

Known Member
28/8/22
tks u C. Which is rotor is better ZF or APS? Im looking for gen rotor butt price is so high :(

viv423

Horology Curious
21/8/22
Awesome comparison! How would you rate the brushing and polishing of the bracelet and case vs gen?

PRS

Known Member
12/6/23
TR
Thank you for your effort and for this great share.

RollyAP

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/3/21
The shine and lust on the gen markers stand out so much next to the APS and ZF

pam63C

Supporter
Certified
12/2/23
Asia
Interesting comparison.

Just noticed that the bezel octa screws on the gen is not centered on the bezel but slightly positioned towards the outer edge. Whereas both ZF and APS screws are position in the center of the bezels. Small detail though.

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
Interesting comparison.

Just noticed that the bezel octa screws on the gen is not centered on the bezel but slightly positioned towards the outer edge. Whereas both ZF and APS screws are position in the center of the bezels. Small detail though.
I think it's typical that the factories can't perfectly replicate the sizes and the positions of APRO bezel screws (either).

Victorparis92

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/2/23
Paris
Thank you. Fro what I understand the 15400 has no interest versus the 15500 which has a clone movement.

pam63C

Supporter
Certified
12/2/23
Asia
Thank you. Fro what I understand the 15400 has no interest versus the 15500 which has a clone movement.
The 15400 has a cloned 3120 movement too although the clone movement does not support instant date change. Rumor had it that a mod is available to do the instant date change.

Reactions: AliHamid

EggsVoL

Known Member
28/8/22
3JzwJD.png

@CTime seem 3120 clone missing screw?

alpharp

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/12/21
Nice comparison. Note that there are multiple versions of gen AP Dials. Some factories may be trying to replicate a different “version” of the dial. I too noticed the APSF white dial to be closer to my gen dial when compared to ZF. The gen dial is a night and day difference in person, to both the APSF and ZF, though. While the APSF is nice, I don’t think either come close to gen.

For my personal 15400, I opted for an APSF V3 that was rebrushed, serviced, and refinished by the AP mastermind, legend. I also added a gen dial. I would highly disagree anyone doubting the quality of APSF. They are just as well made as ZF. The better hands, dial, clasp, and even brushing, makes it the best out of the box rep 15400, IMHO.

Reactions: pam63C and CTime

Paolo1966

Renowned Member
22/7/21
I really like the Aps, I made a comparison with a gen and in my opinion it has a better bezel than the zf. With a gen dial it is a very good combo.