• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP 15202 ZF - New Release?

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
But XF had the same Miyota based movement and hand base was noticeably thinner, I mean it still was thicker than gen but looked so much better than ZFs massive Italian pie bonanza.
That´s right. @legend described the problem some years ago . I can't tell you exactly why ZF is sticking with the "Pizza Base". I can only assume that there are technical reasons; the guys at ZF aren't stupid or blind ;-)
Maybe @legend has a answer?

Reaps

There is no such thing as a 1:1 Replica!
25/9/22

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
That´s right. @legend described the problem some years ago . I can't tell you exactly why ZF is sticking with the "Pizza Base". I can only assume that there are technical reasons; the guys at ZF aren't stupid or blind ;-)
Maybe @legend has a answer?
Not really technical reason, but when I do the pizza base mod, it requires more care to remove the hour hand if needed.

Also, the center hole of the dial can be seen after the shave if you shave enough away.

Last edited:

Fettekatze

Renowned Member
Certified
16/11/13
US
Not really technical reason, but when I do the pizza base mod, it requires more care to remove the hour hand if needed.

Also, the center hole of the dial can be seen after the shave if you shave enough away.

They can easily make the hole smaller as well. The hole is much larger than necessary to clear the handstack.

gilrob

Legendary Member
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Then they have to use another movement. The 9015´s canon pinion is maybe too thick for a proper hand base.
The 15202 is very thin, so I guess it´s not that easy to develop a proper "new" movement. Otherwise APS or ZF would have offered such a solution already. It's not as if they don't recognize the problem. It's just that they simply don't have a suitable solution.
Agreed on the use of another movement. The A2892-2 is slightly smaller in thickness and diameter than the Miyota 9015 so it should fit in the 15202 case. However, I don't know what size canon pinion the A2892-2 uses and if 15202 gen-spec hands are compatible. Reliability is another factor to consider.

Last edited:

RockerArm

Known Member
2/10/19
EU
I'm sorry but really I can't see any new features in this release... I can't read Chinese is anyone so kind to translate what ZF is giving to us in this new batch??

germanynrw

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
5/11/22
Germany
Agreed on the use of another movement. The A2892-2 is slightly smaller in thickness and diameter than the Miyota 9015 so it should fit in the 15202 case. However, I don't know what size canon pinion the A2892-2 uses and if 15202 gen-spec hands are compatible. Reliability is another is another factor to consider.
How can we find out?😂

germanynrw

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
5/11/22
Germany
Agreed on the use of another movement. The A2892-2 is slightly smaller in thickness and diameter than the Miyota 9015 so it should fit in the 15202 case. However, I don't know what size canon pinion the A2892-2 uses and if 15202 gen-spec hands are compatible. Reliability is another is another factor to consider.
An option will be to use the actual hands with mod, so with the a2892 you have instant date.

vladoarsov

Getting To Know The Place
23/1/24
I am looking to purchase this but after reading this thread I am wondering if I should wait or look into a different model.
What does this pizza you guys are referring to mean? And the instant date? What's that about?

Sorry for the novice questions :)

gilrob

Legendary Member
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
An option will be to use the actual hands with mod, so with the a2892 you have instant date.
Yes, that would be an added plus if using the A2892-2 movement. I wonder if making the cannon pinion (Or whatever the part is called that holds the hand(s).) smaller in diameter would be feasible to fit a more gen-spec hand(s). Without affecting reliability off course.

Last edited:

speedywombat

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
29/7/23
I'm not sure what ZF even updated. The dial still looks too muted, the case side profile is still wrong, and the pizza hands is still there.

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
I am looking to purchase this but after reading this thread I am wondering if I should wait or look into a different model.
What does this pizza you guys are referring to mean? And the instant date? What's that about?

Sorry for the novice questions :)
Little bit of an old post but I'll answer.

Pizza refers to the circular base of the hour hand being far to big, this is due in part to the cannon pinion (that's the bit that pokes out of the movement that the hands push onto being too fat, and partly apparently due to the hole in the dial being a bigger than it needs to be.

Instant date is flicking over very near midnight rather than it taking an hour or more like this

Reactions: ogh gee