• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Anyone notice.....?

PorscheRacer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/4/18
Bicester - UK
This thread is so true.

I mentioned a similar thing on another thread. Some people on these forums spend hours looking at macro photos of ‘hour markers’ and stuff like that....

I recently got a GMF V3 GMT and held it up next to my Gen GMT, in really good light, compared them side by side, and looked and looked and looked...

I could not see any differences!

If I really looked mega hard I could just about make out that the rehaut engraving wasn’t quite the same quality, but that’s me with nearly my eyeball up against the crystal ha ha!

Seriously, in real life, the good Reps are amazing now.

Even a good look at one will not reveal any obvious issues.

Sure, start looking at one with a jewellers loupe and and a high magnification macro lens and you may see some issues, but who the hell does that??

I’m speaking as someone who is a watch ‘enthusiast’ and collector of Gens. So it I can’t notice, I would suggest not many other people will ever notice the flaws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: leo6929

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
So many good thoughts here. No doubt the watches are larger in our mind’s eye, particularly with how we’re able to pinch and zoom on anything these days. It makes for a great bit of amazement when you get it in your hands...so much design, engineering, and execution in such a compact machine. That’s when you stand back and know you love watches....when you can still be amazed at the complexity you’re fortunate to experience. A great game we’re in.

Reactions: leo6929

RawwR

26/8/20
London
I think it's funny how mistakes in a rep are a crime while mistakes in a gen are a collectable work of art :D

Kobkob90

23/7/20
North America
I guess that’s the great thing with reps when on the wrist and seen from far arms length or for a quick few seconds the average person won’t know it’s a rep depending on how you pull it off

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
I dunno, when my noob Daytona arrived, it was pretty big! As giant as in my laptop screen. Bigger! Unwearable unfortunately, I can see every tell.

6aa21d070e23296094597b10ab79579d.jpg

Last edited:

J23dog

Horology Curious
10/1/13
United States
Funny you would mention that; I think that for about a second with every high-end replica watch I get. I seems that all the slight inaccuracies just melt-in with the rest of the piece, and then seems like so much wasted worry about how it's going to look, ect.

Real key IS to Enjoy them for all they are, not to Focus on what they're not....:shameonyou:

:cmaster2:

Jenna

Certified
9/11/20
I dunno, when my noob Daytona arrived, it was pretty big! As giant as in my laptop screen. Bigger! Unwearable unfortunately, I can see every tell.

6aa21d070e23296094597b10ab79579d.jpg

I’d love one of those! Where did you get it from if you don’t mind me asking?

hatterman

Horology Curious
26/12/20
Truth being I actually like smaller watches due to small wrists but every-time they turn up I'm shocked how small they actually are.

hatterman

Horology Curious
26/12/20
Truth being I actually like smaller watches due to small wrists but every-time they turn up I'm shocked how small they actually are.

kingOfStoneAge

Horology Curious
4/4/19
Paris
I totally had the same feeling when I received my two omegas, after having spent some serious time watching the QC pictures and analyzing every micro-detail that seemed off.

Guess we all have some degree of OCD here haha...

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
Great thread this one is!

One time, I almost rejected this watch because it had some specs on the dial.

1.jpg

But I thought - "the rest of the watch looks amazing, I'm going to accept it and then I'll open the watch to clean those specs with a cotton swab".

The watch arrived and I swear, I couldn't find those spots :D
I searched in all types of lighting conditions and only could find them with a loupe.
Since I couldn't see anything when using the watch normally, I didn't open it to clean...

IMG-20200629-175328-Edit-2.jpg

Watch looks great in "real life".
What I do, nowadays, is to step back from the PC monitor and try to see the QC "flaws" from what I would call a "realistic distance/magnification".

It annoys me when the newcomers come and reject perfectly good watches for things they will never see in real life...

I will ask them to read this thread first :D

Cheers

nodateN00b

14/9/19
I just got a new 114060 and it looks KILLER in person. So much better than the photos.

studlley64

Known Member
24/2/19
USA
Here's one that was rejected by a member here because the dial was supposedly crooked and the markers at 6 and 9 were crooked. I added the lines to show reality and I guarantee nobody could ever tell anything was wrong when looking at the actual watch and not looking at these stupid over sized QC pictures.

what program do you use to add the lines?

Reactions: Arienman

GreatWhite

26/2/21
Great thread this one is!

One time, I almost rejected this watch because it had some specs on the dial.

1.jpg

But I thought - "the rest of the watch looks amazing, I'm going to accept it and then I'll open the watch to clean those specs with a cotton swab".

The watch arrived and I swear, I couldn't find those spots :D
I searched in all types of lighting conditions and only could find them with a loupe.
Since I couldn't see anything when using the watch normally, I didn't open it to clean...

IMG-20200629-175328-Edit-2.jpg

Watch looks great in "real life".
What I do, nowadays, is to step back from the PC monitor and try to see the QC "flaws" from what I would call a "realistic distance/magnification".

It annoys me when the newcomers come and reject perfectly good watches for things they will never see in real life...

I will ask them to read this thread first :D

Cheers

That's great advice, I teach design and when the students ask me if something looks ok, I tell them to get out of their chair, take a step back and then look at their monitor. They can usually see what's working and what isn't for themselves more easily then. Same principle for QCing, definitely going to do that too myself.

Reactions: Mille M

greenpip

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
7/10/20
USA
How small the watches look when they arrive after looking at GIANT pics of the dials in the M2M section, Any flaws that are pointed out in pics are barely if at all visible from a few inches away when the real thing comes. I can hardly read the print on some of them.

lol yes, for some reason I was expecting a huge watch when I first bought my replica

Reactions: JayBee0815