• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Any Whisky recommendations?

pam63C

Supporter
Certified
12/2/23
Asia
My choice of whisky always revolve around these three brands :
1. Glenmorangie : 18 years, Nectar D'or, Lasanta
2. Yamasaki : Distillers (un-aged), 12 years, 18 years (for the rare occasions) and Hakushu (same distillery as Yamasaki)
3. Ardberg : Uigeadail, Corryvreckan

But I do keep an assortment of other bottles such as Laphroaig, Balvenie 16/18, Macallan, Hibiki, etc for varieties and tasting. The Macallan was my old favorite but it has became too pricey in the last 5 years and not worth the money.

KruisingKhaos95

Chairman of Daytonas Anonymous (got any?)
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
20/9/21
Spion Kop - The Scouse Republic
My choice of whisky always revolve around these three brands :
1. Glenmorangie : 18 years, Nectar D'or, Lasanta
2. Yamasaki : Distillers (un-aged), 12 years, 18 years (for the rare occasions) and Hakushu (same distillery as Yamasaki)
3. Ardberg : Uigeadail, Corryvreckan

But I do keep an assortment of other bottles such as Laphroaig, Balvenie 16/18, Macallan, Hibiki, etc for varieties and tasting. The Macallan was my old favorite but it has became too pricey in the last 5 years and not worth the money.
Yes, yes ad 100% yes!

I've only tried Yamazaki 18 a handful of times as I find it extremely difficult to justify the price, when in reality the differences between 12 and 18 (to me at least) are so subtle. Plus, it is incredibly difficult to get hold of over here in the UK.

Hibiki Harmony is a lovely regular drinker and I always have a bottle alongside a Laphhroaig 10 and Red breast 12 in my whiskey cupboard ;)

Reactions: RDRoss and njh225

Robsen

Iā€™ve been replaced by a box.
Supporter
Certified
8/2/17
Tamnavulin - can't beat it imo. Usually get it in UK 20Ā£ a bottle. Has nice sweet finish. For price it's cracking

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
Abasolo is my most recommended whiskey. Itā€™s made in Mexico too. Can make a really good old fashioned.

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada

I cringe as I say this but ā€œHowler headā€ banana flavoured 40% is really great. Iā€™m into my 3rd bottle.

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
Sullivan's Cove American Oak from Tasmania, Kavalan the Soloist from Taiwan, Hibiki (Suntory) from Japan

pam63C

Supporter
Certified
12/2/23
Asia
Sullivan's Cove American Oak from Tasmania, Kavalan the Soloist from Taiwan, Hibiki (Suntory) from Japan
I do like the Sullivan but for always find the Kavalan smell and taste like Chinese medicine !

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
I do like the Sullivan but for always find the Kavalan smell and taste like Chinese medicine !
R u sure that was the Sherry Cask Solist ? I actually find Scottish Speyside whiskies to be as you described :ROFLMAO:

pam63C

Supporter
Certified
12/2/23
Asia
R u sure that was the Sherry Cask Solist ? I actually find Scottish Speyside whiskies to be as you described :ROFLMAO:
I don't remember it being a sherry cask, probably an American oak or bourbon. I picked this up immediately after it won gold in some competitions but the taste wasn't to my liking. Since then, I have avoided Kavalan.

Either the Speyside or the Jap whiskies now.

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
I don't remember it being a sherry cask, probably an American oak or bourbon. I picked this up immediately after it won gold in some competitions but the taste wasn't to my liking. Since then, I have avoided Kavalan.

Either the Speyside or the Jap whiskies now.
Fair enough, whisky is a very specific personal taste.

Reactions: pam63C

njh225

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
10/4/22
Laphroaig. Always Laphroaig. Just about anything from Islay, really, plus Talisker.
Islay all the way for me too and a big Laphroaig fan but I would avoid the "Select" personally.

Caol Ila 12 is a current favourite, a great price to quality ratio too

Nebari

Excuse me, do you have the time?
Supporter
Certified
3/5/23
Colorado
If you're into Irish whiskey, you gotta try Redbreast 12. It's like 60 bucks and it holds its own against $150-200 bottles

pam63C

Supporter
Certified
12/2/23
Asia
Just had a few shots of the Glenmorangie Signet.

What an excellent drink that was, sweet and smooth with a palate of roasted spices and chocolate. Certainly worth the price compared to the 18 years.

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Just discovered this.
Its very very good. Rich, earthy, smokey, but mellow and smooth. And it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Awesome. šŸ‘šŸ»
3bSuoE.jpeg

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Enjoyed a bottle of the Lagavulin 8 over the last few months. Not quite the 16 but still a great bottle nonetheless. Recommended for sure!

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
While Laphroaigh is my go to I have to admit that Connemara single peated is damn fine.