• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Amazing website learned so much, quick question from a Noob

tweety82

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/7/09
Hi everyone,

What a great website, i learnd so much about the watch replica "scene" if you can call it that :)

I really want a Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Chronograph Calibre 17 RS, and been seriously thinking of buying a real one, but im trying to be responsible and not spend that kinda money as i only graduated a year ago.

Now i have been looking at alot of websites and seen prices go from $100 upto $400(seems to be max). I want to get one thats black background and stainless steel band and automatic movement. If i get the 400 dollar i seen at sites like http://www.timeshops.net/TG9155_-_Tag_H ... 5-4071.htm

Can somebody explain to me a couple of things. If i spend 400 on a replica of this model what do i get ?

Almost perfect replica ? Does it look as good as the pics shows
Does all the buttons works, stop watch, and etc.
Can i turn the tachymetre (not sure i wrote that right)
Will it work for several years

Is it really worth $400 ??

Thanks guys hope these qustions werent to stupid

Tweety

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Let me put it this way. There is no perfect rep. Dollars definitely do not = better in all cases. And price does not = value. If that were true some reps should be selling for twice what they do and others should be selling for a lot less.

tweety82

20/7/09
Fakemaster,

Is it fair so assume that if you get a replica like the one i am looking at the Tag Heuer that i should pay more if i am getting one that is Automatic vs Battery run ??

I have seen that watch for around 100 through none trusted sites, and almost 370 from trusted sources, but seems all the trusted sources are using automatic movement.
Specefically the asia 7750 movt . Is that a good movement?? will it last ??

thx so much

CaptainJack

Known Member
13/6/09

My (admittedly uneducated) guess (with some opinion thrown in free of charge) is this:

The less expensive version is quartz, the more expensive version is 7750. Without making any value judgements, I would say that the prices you mentioned are in line with what I would expect for watches with those movements.

As far as which one to choose, I don't think anyone can make that call but you... a lot depends on what your daily wear and tear is going to be. I would say that the quartz is going to be more durable in terms of taking a daily beating if you're active, the 7750 is obviously a nicer movement, but automatics don't typically hold up to being whacked around a lot.

I blew up a 7750 by absentmindedly wearing it for a round of golf. They don't need to be cradled, and I don't know how typical it is for that level of activity to kill one, but it's something to keep in mind.

tweety82

20/7/09
Captain Jack,

Thx for the info.
It blew up through a round of a golf, jezzzz thats pretty crazy. But i would say that looking at the quartz waches they just dont seem as nice, atleast from the pictures. Seems like they take more care of replicating when they can charge more with auto movement. But i dont know just was it seems.

Is the asia 7750 movt good in general ?? it moves smoothly ??

CaptainJack

Known Member
13/6/09

I read somewhere a while ago that it wasn't a good idea to wear an automatic when doing things like playing golf, but I had worn the watch for a while every day and kind of got used to it and didn't think twice about it when I played an "emergency 18".

By the middle of the round it was DOA. I don't know 100% that it was the golf what killed it... but it had been in perfect running order for a long time prior to that.

I don't know this to be fact, I'm just guessing based on business practice, but I wouldn't think that a factory would produce separate components for the same watch with a quartz movement and an automatic movement. I could be entirely wrong, but it seems ot me that the same legos are used to build the watch with a different movement put in to make it tick... or not tick as the case may be.

Someone with a single shred of knowledge (which I certainly don't claim to have) would be able to refute that theory though, so if someone tells you otherwise who seems to know what they're talking about, by all means... it's probably true.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
There will certainly be people in to tell you how they have played 10,000 rounds of golf with their Hublot. :p

Certain watches are done very well in quartz. Some are not. It's a model specific question.

tweety82

20/7/09
FakeMaster do you consider the Tag Heuer model i am looking at as one of the better quality replica watches especially the automatic version ??

over 350 for a replica seems like alot to me, but if i know it looks and feels almost perfect to the real one and it works id be happy to pay. I chose that specefic model as it looks faily simple which hope = easier to make a good copy

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
I won't buy 7750s so my answer is always going to be no. With that said I would have to fall back to your comments.

Almost perfect replica?

Will it work for several years?

if i know it looks and feels almost perfect to the real one and it works id be happy to pay.

Ultimately we are talking about something that is a fraction of the gen price. Interestingly I have found that people rarely ask these questions if they were to buy the gen because..well...that's not why they buy the gen. Hell many gen owners couldn't tell you what's inside. But they often ask this about the rep which ia an indicatioon that they are going to be really obsessed about it thus never happy. I don't know if this is the situation here.

tweety82

20/7/09
I getcha point about not being happy. I am really laid back, i just want it to work and thats about it. I can see from the pics it looks nice, so as long as the watch works for 2-3 years id be very satisfied. Now why dont you like that movement?? Can i get a different automatic movement in that watch or are all the ones from the factory the same.

Your advice is really apprciated.

Tweety

P.S. Jezz its hot in houston today

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Horse..beat..dead... :(

Do a search on the 7750 and read up on that one. :p

The problem is it could run for years or it might not. No one can answer that. Or guarantee it. We're not talking about a gen product with a warranty or quality control. You should not be buying reps for an investment or any other long term goal. You take care of the best you can. And you should because they are eseentially no different. They are a little automatic work of art. But they are reps. so when they break the cost is such that you just buy another. I know when you are talking more expensive stuff it gets a little harder to chew. But it is the same principle when you compare the cost ratio.

Renowned Member
30/3/09
You can get the movement replaced- I'm currently about to "super rep" my Brietling for Bentley. It has an A7750 movement in at the moment and I am getting that replaced with an ETA 7750- cost $400usd I could get a gen Breitling movement put in but that would be $600usd am also getting other work done to it. In total the watch and the work done on it will come to around $1000usd. But when you consider the gen costs around $12000 its cheap. This is really the only time I am going to do this to a rep and its just becaue I love it. The rest of the time I will buy a watch and just enjoy it as is unti I get good enough to do my own work..... around 50years time.
I just love the watch and want it to last thats why I'm spending the money, plus I can do it gradually. If I was able to buy a $3000 gen I sure as heck wouldn't spend a grand on a rep (see what FM is trying to say).
cheers
ps It will be interesting to see what FM has to say about what I am doing- I too value his opinion greatly.

tweety82

20/7/09
I get both of your points, and i totally agree when you spend 100 bucks on a watch.

But now we basiaclly talking about $400 for a watch you can get online for around 5k

I did some searches on that movement and it seems like there is alot of trouble with it. But one seems to have no choice correct ? A7750 is the latest and greatest and that is what that model watch will come with if i want Automatic.

i guess i just thought that if im spending 400 that watch will atleast last a year or two totally undestand it wont last forever or that it still is not perfect to the Gen.

kendog870

30/6/09
if you find that model in the 125 to 150 dollar range with the the 21j movement. odds are you will be very happy with the watch. Just search around the sellers here and im sure you will find :wink:

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
fakemaster said:
Let me put it this way. There is no perfect rep. Dollars definitely do not = better in all cases. And price does not = value. If that were true some reps should be selling for twice what they do and others should be selling for a lot less.

+1 (with a couple zeros behind it)

It sounds like this your first rep. If I were you, there are two things I definately would not do:

1) I wouldn't buy a 7750 as my first rep (if you want a good chrono consider a quartz).

2) I wouldn't drop $400.

You can get a GREAT, Tissot, ESQ, ect... for $400.

If you like reps, start with a basic 21j for $100 (maybe buy something from Fakey so you know it will run great).

If you like the 21j then start playing in the $200-$400 range.

Just my $.02 (that and a quarter won't get me gum).

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
jmd33 said:
fakemaster said:

+1 (with a couple zeros behind it)

It sounds like this your first rep. If I were you, there are two things I definately would not do:

1) I wouldn't buy a 7750 as my first rep (if you want a good chrono consider a quartz).

2) I wouldn't drop $400.

You can get a GREAT, Tissot, ESQ, ect... for $400.

If you like reps, start with a basic 21j for $100 (maybe buy something from Fakey so you know it will run great).

If you like the 21j then start playing in the $200-$400 range.

Just my $.02 (that and a quarter won't get me gum).

I agree!
Do NOT get a A7750 movement watch for your first. It will most likely be the last rep watch you'll ever buy (out of disgust and dissappointment) and you'll miss out on a great hobby.
CaptainJack's watch may have died from golf, and may have died because it's a 7750. I know plenty of people who golf in 2832 movement watches with no problem. And swim and bike and ride motorcycles (I do many of those in every watch I own EXCEPT my one 7750 watch and my gen Rolex's).
The $100ish Tag will be quartz, but sadly is also more cheaply made.
This model with a 21J movement will NOT have working chronos. They will either be fake or will show day and date.

Personally, I'd look at something more simplistic and reliable for your entree into the hobby. Maybe a nice Omega or Panerai. Then you'll have a much higher shot at getting a good quality watch and will be amazed at the quality for the money. Especially watch the sales threads - buying from another member = a lower price, faster shipping, and the QC has already been done. Or buy one from Fakemaster where the build quality is top-notch and the watch has been serviced and sealed (you won't find a bad review on Fakey no matter how hard you look).

Oh, and it's hot in Dallas too!
Welcome to the obsession!!!
TexasFlag.jpg

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
levelmanroger said:
Personally, I'd look at something more simplistic and reliable for your entree into the hobby. Maybe a nice Omega or Panerai. Then you'll have a much higher shot at getting a good quality watch and will be amazed at the quality for the money. Especially watch the sales threads - buying from another member = a lower price, faster shipping, and the QC has already been done. Or buy one from Fakemaster where the build quality is top-notch and the watch has been serviced and sealed (you won't find a bad review on Fakey no matter how hard you look).

+1

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
I bought this Tag for a friend of mine off a member for less than $100. It has a quartz and runs GREAT!!! - not to mention the lume is better than most gens.

Tag2.jpg

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
@747

I am totally for trying to make something better. Everyone has a grail watch.

watchman1

Renowned Member
21/11/06
I am a HUGE tag fan myself and I have the watch that you are asking about. I have personally never had any problems with any of the 7750s that I have (although I tend to handle my watches with kid gloves - both gen and reps). I know that you are on a quest to find the most accurate Grand Carrera Calibre 17 that you can find, but may I suggest:

the Aquaracer Calibre 16 Chonograph DD:
http://www.timeshops.net/TG9338_-_Tag_H ... 5-3467.htm

At $285 (including free shipping) it is more reasonable priced and is almost a dead ringer for the gen. By-Tor wrote a wonderful review on it:

http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtop ... 86&t=30046

There is also, the Carrera Calibre 16:
http://www.timeshops.net/Tag_Heuer_Carr ... al_902.htm

It is also reasonably priced ($285 including free shipping) and IMHO is extremely accurate to its gen counter part.

Also, since it appears that you are also a tag fan, you may want to read another By-Tor review (this one is on the best tag replicas) before making a purchase:

http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtop ... 86&t=41071

Hope this helps.