• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AliExpress experiments - Non-watch products

FiloViridae

Advisor
Advisor
27/3/15
NYC
Never use replicas when it comes to safety issues: Climbing gear, SCUBA equipment (including dive watches), rescue equipment, medical equipment, and serious protection gear exceeding the needs of rollerbladers. I thought that was plain common sense...

You might be lucky with a replicated item, but would you bet your life on that?

Similarly all chinese food items such as silicone kitchen equipment or plastics - be aware that they will write BPA-free and put all kinds of logos on the box just to sell.

Correct! Firmly agree with this statement as well.

I bought a set of neochrome Volk Racing lug nuts (30 bucks vs 350) now no intended use for my race car.. Buttt perfect for decretive purposes! Boy oh boy.. They were SOOOOOOO soft. I left such a negative review. And for fun, I put them on a bolt and torqued till a couple snapped or broke threads.. 50 lbs.. WHAT!? You couldn't get it passed 50 lbs of torque!? Someone would seriously get hurt putting these on their car.. I hope my review has warned people on it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
Def go with the gen refills, they aren't ridiculously expensive and write very well. I ordered a couple MB pens from another site and they came with gen refills.

Uhmmmmm. I'd have to disagree with that. I have a gen mb rollerball and used to buy gen refills. Each refill only lasted about five or six pages. IE less than a week. Each refill costed about $7 or $8 do you can do the math on how many you will need. After a while I started using aftermarket refills and found that Monteverde refills are the best and last over a year. So far my last Monteverde refill is approaching 2 years now. They are about $2
I've had my mb rollerball for over 20 years do I know which refills are good which refills are bad.

silverfox47

Renowned Member
Certified
9/2/15
Cali
Hey man, have you seen a better Hermes rep belt that you can recommend?! I'm yet to find one I'm happy with

I have found that the higher the cost the better the quality and the more reviews the better the seller. Also, like with the watches, I ask for actual pics of what I am getting.

GetSomeMoney

10/7/13
Uhmmmmm. I'd have to disagree with that. I have a gen mb rollerball and used to buy gen refills. Each refill only lasted about five or six pages. IE less than a week. Each refill costed about $7 or $8 do you can do the math on how many you will need. After a while I started using aftermarket refills and found that Monteverde refills are the best and last over a year. So far my last Monteverde refill is approaching 2 years now. They are about $2
I've had my mb rollerball for over 20 years do I know which refills are good which refills are bad.

Do you buy the Monteverde ink directly from the website or somewhere else?

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
I've always purchased mine from a local pen store. Online prices are quite high for them. They are way better than the mb refills. I purchased probably about a dozen mb refills in the past and not one lasted more than 6 or so pages.

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14
I'm thinking of buying a drone from Ali.... Anyone got one yet?

** This message may, or may not, be sent using Tapatalk **

AHX

Renowned Member
3/12/10
I have seen some rep fine liners, his might be a rollerball which is switchable refill so that's all good but it's actually the body of the pen he has I'm keen on. I could only find the ballpoint twist one not the fineliner/rollerball cap body he has.

EDIT: He got back to me. It was from store "AA Pen Store" so I've just bought that Starwalker Doue Rollerball, plus the Starwalker Midnight Black Rollerball version from "The Writing Gene". Shiny for home, black for work! :D

YnvXYJF.jpg

So the Starwalker Midnight Black Rollerball turned up! All I can say is holy shit, it is perfection. I haven't seen one in person but comparing to gen pics and video reviews it is totally spot on. The one flaw I was expecting was a clear crystal on the end instead of lightly tinted, but although it's a little hard to tell, it looks lightly tinted. I think I'll need the standard Doue version to show up to compare to make a judgment on this one. But otherwise, the logo is centred in the crystal and is not pointed, everything is ultra crisp, the threads for the cap are fantastic, the only minor flaw I could find is that the tiny threads that hold the end onto the base (For accessing the refills) is not perfectly finished visually. It also looks like the threads for the cap may wear a little if tightened hard given the dark colouring on the metal parts, but it's very barely noticeable and even the gen may do this as that is technically also plated. I'm very picky about flaws and these two are tiny, even for me. Seller was The Writing Gene, it was a bit expensive for an MB pen rep but worth it in my opinion especially cause I'll have a matching pair when the second arrives. Link.

Unfortunately I only have an iPhone for pics, but even so, here you go. Excuse the lid clip, it's perfectly finished, just smudged.

By the way, the "leather" bag is garbage but we all know that. Binned that :p

5THfsIR.jpg

Veratio

13/3/07
Thanks for the tips on Bose Qc headphones. A tad expensive in my book considering the price refurbished in the us.

Thanks again though. Very nice to look for them for me!

C124

Renowned Member
25/11/14
Bose QC's , That's a lot of coin to drop on rep headphones...

sebastianbf

Horology Curious
14/9/12
So the Starwalker Midnight Black Rollerball turned up! All I can say is holy shit, it is perfection. I haven't seen one in person but comparing to gen pics and video reviews it is totally spot on. The one flaw I was expecting was a clear crystal on the end instead of lightly tinted, but although it's a little hard to tell, it looks lightly tinted. I think I'll need the standard Doue version to show up to compare to make a judgment on this one. But otherwise, the logo is centred in the crystal and is not pointed, everything is ultra crisp, the threads for the cap are fantastic, the only minor flaw I could find is that the tiny threads that hold the end onto the base (For accessing the refills) is not perfectly finished visually. It also looks like the threads for the cap may wear a little if tightened hard given the dark colouring on the metal parts, but it's very barely noticeable and even the gen may do this as that is technically also plated. I'm very picky about flaws and these two are tiny, even for me. Seller was The Writing Gene, it was a bit expensive for an MB pen rep but worth it in my opinion especially cause I'll have a matching pair when the second arrives. Link.

Unfortunately I only have an iPhone for pics, but even so, here you go. Excuse the lid clip, it's perfectly finished, just smudged.

By the way, the "leather" bag is garbage but we all know that. Binned that :p

5THfsIR.jpg

Cant seem to find that pen on AA Pen Store. Could you please share the link?

Regards

TheOmegaFan

Renowned Member
15/5/13
Thanks for the tips on Bose Qc headphones. A tad expensive in my book considering the price refurbished in the us.

Thanks again though. Very nice to look for them for me!

Yeah, these are pricey. However there're in ear QuietComfort 20i earphones, which are noise canceling too and they're about $60 which is 5 times less than gens.

?????????? ? ????? iPad ????????? Tapatalk

GetSomeMoney

10/7/13
Yeah, these are pricey. However there're in ear QuietComfort 20i earphones, which are noise canceling too and they're about $60 which is 5 times less than gens.

Have you tried them? I heard the noise cancelling was bad on those reps

TheOmegaFan

Renowned Member
15/5/13
Have you tried them? I heard the noise cancelling was bad on those reps

I haven't. However I'd like to. Termiboter wrote that noise canceling on Studio 2.0 is OK. Maybe on in ears its not as good as Studio and QC15 reps noise canceling.

ZTS

28/5/10
Might just be me but with so many actually good headphones out there under $50 you have to be proper wrong in the head to waste money on rep headphones. The QC series sound terrible to start but there selling point is boses NC technology. As for the beats reps the manage to sound even worse than the real ones which is saying something. laden with bass bleed, low detail and crap soundstage.

TheOmegaFan

Renowned Member
15/5/13
Might just be me but with so many actually good headphones out there under $50 you have to be proper wrong in the head to waste money on rep headphones. The QC series sound terrible to start but there selling point is boses NC technology. As for the beats reps the manage to sound even worse than the real ones which is saying something. laden with bass bleed, low detail and crap soundstage.

Yeah, of course there're. But isn't it interesting to see what China guys can offer you for $50? As for gens, I'm actually now looking at Brainwavz S1 as in ears and Marshall Major as over ears. If only there would be some metal instead of plastic in Major. Really like the way the look and the leather/metal combination.

TheOmegaFan

Renowned Member
15/5/13
Yeah, of course there're. But isn't it interesting to see what China guys can offer you for $50? As for gens, I'm actually now looking at Brainwavz S1 as in ears and Marshall Major as over ears. If only there would be some metal instead of plastic in Major. Really like the way the look and the leather/metal combination. My current in ears are Soundmagic E10.

GetSomeMoney

10/7/13
Mostly true although I would disagree with the Beats quality, the reps for Beats headphones were spot on, everything from the sound to the NC to the build quality, I understood why people bought the reps of Beats because there was absolutely no point buying the gen ones