• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Airport Security and Travelling with / wearing a Replica watch

ShimaRoosman

Known Member
16/6/17
I recently read a thread on one of the main rep watch subreddits, and it's gotten me quite worried. With this particular thread being about Italy, I learned that some countries are seizing counterfeit watches in airports and will charge you for owning them. They say that regardless of knowledge or intention, the responsibility is on the person owning the watch.
Are you supposed to declare watches when travelling? Even if you have owned it for years, and it wasn't purchased in any of the countries on your trip? Assuming you have a replica of a 20k Rolex on your possession, are you supposed to declare a 20k watch when travelling?
I'm just a bit worried tbh as I travel a bit, and theres always the possibility that I will end up moving in the future, with me having to obviously move several rep watches (I would usually tavel with them all on my person)
Can anybody with more knowledge on this subject shed some light and offer insight on how to avoid standing out and losing your watch/incurring a fine/charge?

PTwatchLover

Certified
29/8/22
Portugal
Come on. When was the last time you traveled and anyone looked at your watch in the airport? Does that apply to counterfeit underwear too? 😀 I traveled lots and lots of times and it never ever happened to me nor does the guy operating the x-ray machine have any knowledge about watches, fake or legit. They are mainly concerned with drugs and bombs. They couldn't care less about your watch. To my best knowledge this doesn't make any sense so you shouldn't be concerned with it.

unagi

God Luck and Good Speed
Certified
18/9/18
USA
I call BS. I’ve been all over the world with reps and gens and no one has ever even looked at my wrist unless I forget to take my watch off at the X-ray machine. One tip I have though is to throw whatever watch you have onto a leather/rubber strap or nato just to make it less flashy to protect from thieves.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Your concern is valid, and it's not only in Italy, but worldwide, the United States included. I am scared shitless to wear any watch when traveling by air, afraid that an TSA officer will be able to identify my superrep, or, worse, assume that my GEN is a superrep, confiscate it, then have it destroyed, and I'll end up in a black-op prison camp controlled by the CIA. I heard that custom officers can tell the beat rate of a Valjoux from a mile away and immediately see though all the bullshit. Best not wearing any watch, and no designer clothing either!

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
The only way this story would have any merit is if they found you travelling with a bunch of high end brand watches and suspected you were entering the country to try and sell them. One watch on your personal possession shouldn’t draw any more attention than the person next to you wearing the fake balenciagas….

RedBearrd

Wrist Admirer
Certified
22/11/17
The Netherlands 🇳🇱
In theory it is possible: getting stopped by customs and they find watches. Doom scenario start. But in reality customs is not looking for these kind of items. Let’s not overthink it.

Maybe UAE’s Dubai is the only place I would be more careful. The London Watch collector on YT makes a customs reference in one his holiday vlogs

Reactions: Feefo

TimeStopper46

Getting To Know The Place
13/3/13
I have been on multiple flights within the United States (vacations and work trips) and have never had any issue over the last 10 years. If im not wearing my rep, I have it in my carry-on backpack beause I dont want anybody stealing them from my checked my luggage.

Reactions: DiggerOfWatches

kidcreole

Supporter
Certified
27/7/13
They won’t care if you’ve got one or two reps. But if those pieces are convincing and expensive it’s the money laundering potential you could get held for. I only travel with one watch now after a guy in my club was held and questioned at Dubai airport.

Feefo

CEO, Vaselume (TM) Corporation
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
It's one of those typical things where one bad experience makes the news while the statistical probability of getting outed is near to nil. Like bad reviews, no happy customer bothers to post a good review, all disgruntled ones will post a bad one.
From a legal perspective, each country is different. In Italy, for instance, it's all around illegal, selling, buying, owning. If they get you, they confiscate and fine you. In Germany possession is not illegal.
I guess if you have a flashy watch from a renowned brand or that simply looks expensive and you come from an international destination, you may pique the custom officer's interest just to check you paid taxes. From there it can become interesting. But reality is, nobody really looks at your wrist.
I also read somewhere that Italian custom officers were trained to spot reps, but that is sheer BS.

Last edited:

Winni1611

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
15/10/22
Germany
I've been flying to many destinations around the world (including Dubai several Times) and no one has ever been interested in my watch. Officials care about security and even customs are not interested in a Single watch to my experience. This may change only if you carry several watches and they might think you deal with them. Beside that there is no problem in my opinion

Reactions: PTwatchLover

TimeStopper46

Getting To Know The Place
13/3/13
Thats a good point. I only ever traveled with 2 max (one on my wrist and one in my carry-on). Here in the US, all airports seem to worry about safety and security rather than some fake watches...nobody looks or cares

Reactions: emdeevee

PTwatchLover

Certified
29/8/22
Portugal
I guess if you have a flashy watch from a renowned brand or that simply looks expensive and you come from an international destination, you may pique the custom officer's interest just to check you paid taxes. From there it can become interesting.

But would this really happen? I think in theory you should declared your valuable items to customs before leaving your country and then when you come back, instead of passing thru the "nothing to declare" queue, you go to customs and show the document you got to prove that you already had that item and that you didn't bought it abroad because in that case you have to pay taxes. Even in this case, I don't see how that would be a problem because customs would check if the serial numbers match and that would be it. I did that a couple of times a LONG time ago when I traveled with expensive photo gear and photo gear wasn't common. Nowadays no one cares to do it because it's common to travel with a camera and a couple of lenses. Also no one declares their iPhone or laptop.

Keylog74

Respected Member
14/6/13
Well, last month I went to Le Brassus where we went to leave a 5204A for service and on the way back in Fornasette border the 25554BA was confiscated and released only two weeks after I sent proof or purchase in Italian territory.

Lesson: if you’re traveling into EU border wear whatever don’t give a flying fuck. If your crossing borders with countries where VAT and import Taxes are subject, wearing a rep or a gen you might be stopped for tax evasion reasons but absolutely not because they can spot a fake watch 😅

Reactions: xray7