• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Aging the dial lume?

emameme

30/12/15
Guys, which type of matte spray did u use? have a link on ebay or amazon for buy it? Thanks

champagnesky

28/10/12
I always wondered how a dial would look if left under the sun for a couple of months. The sun seems to age everything left under it in a very natural way. But you would have to remove the hands off from the watch first, because when it stops, and left under the sun, the hands will create a shadow on the 'aging' process. ........Maybe I should try this one day, on a spare 1680 or similar...............hmmmmmmm. .....[you would have to 'anchor' the watch outside, because a crow could take it away !] ......up on the roof or chimney perhaps........... http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...002e4b019f892a733f1/1417388040490/upload.jpeg

I bought a nail UV lamp and will try to atchieve this. The only problem is to get radium dust :)

cacti

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
27/10/23
Hello, I've got maybe a very simple question for you guys.

I have used my Tudor 7928 for a while now, with yuki's dial. I love the watch, BUT the dial looks brand new, and I've been thinking about aging it with the Bonesy watercolour method. But I would also like to make the dial lume look more vintage-ish.

The yuki dial looks like this:
As you can see, the edges of the lume are really sharp.
DSC_0435.jpg

I would love to make it look like more genuine old dial like this:
BS-Tudor-W-24-7928-114-12.jpg

TUDOR-7928-GHOSTSUB-02.jpg

How can this be achieved?

Thanks in advance, and please move this thread if it is in the wrong subforum :)

Hi, You need to get at least one, better more "training dials", get the compound from ebay, watch vids like this one:
and experiment around. Me too, I love the "3d effect" and doing it myself, mainly by mixing acrylic white with Nescafé, water, brown etc. Oiler and toothpics come in handy to do the rest (holding the dial and applying) and best is to get a standing lupe so You can work below. Rodico for cleaning dust particles (read which one is best) and a dust aircan like for cleaning pc´s is a must too.
There are better methods and also ready-made vintage lume, but I try to keep things very low budget and this is what best worked for me. Have fun personalizing Yours.
Looks like this when You´re not a pro:)
before
Tud%20Sub_1500c_zpsygxsd6as.jpg

Tudor%20SPA2_3899_zpsxfn6dija.jpg

Tud%20OP%20Spa3_3902_zpsc5apmu6e.jpg

Tudoy_3933A10_zpsxdap4phn.jpg

this one just finished on Monday
IMG_6626c_zps4awyxrkh.jpg

IMG_6628_zpspyjvb4nt.jpg

IMG_6708_zpsdhz161wr.jpg

Than have fun:)

I realize this thread is super old, but I plan on purchasing the exact Yuki dial and was wondering how your process turned out? That youtube vid has been taken down, any chance you can share more on that process? Thanks