• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Aging the dial lume?

lolimsoasd

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/1/15
Hello, I've got maybe a very simple question for you guys.

I have used my Tudor 7928 for a while now, with yuki's dial. I love the watch, BUT the dial looks brand new, and I've been thinking about aging it with the Bonesy watercolour method. But I would also like to make the dial lume look more vintage-ish.

The yuki dial looks like this:
As you can see, the edges of the lume are really sharp.
DSC_0435.jpg

I would love to make it look like more genuine old dial like this:
BS-Tudor-W-24-7928-114-12.jpg

TUDOR-7928-GHOSTSUB-02.jpg

How can this be achieved?

Thanks in advance, and please move this thread if it is in the wrong subforum :)

D

d4m.test

Hi, You need to get at least one, better more "training dials", get the compound from ebay, watch vids like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lhx2kPwSWE and experiment around. Me too, I love the "3d effect" and doing it myself, mainly by mixing acrylic white with Nescafé, water, brown etc. Oiler and toothpics come in handy to do the rest (holding the dial and applying) and best is to get a standing lupe so You can work below. Rodico for cleaning dust particles (read which one is best) and a dust aircan like for cleaning pc´s is a must too.
There are better methods and also ready-made vintage lume, but I try to keep things very low budget and this is what best worked for me. Have fun personalizing Yours.
Looks like this when You´re not a pro:)
before
Tud%20Sub_1500c_zpsygxsd6as.jpg

Tudor%20SPA2_3899_zpsxfn6dija.jpg

Tud%20OP%20Spa3_3902_zpsc5apmu6e.jpg

Tudoy_3933A10_zpsxdap4phn.jpg

this one just finished on Monday
IMG_6626c_zps4awyxrkh.jpg

IMG_6628_zpspyjvb4nt.jpg

IMG_6708_zpsdhz161wr.jpg

Than have fun:)

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
This is great. I just posted a question about this in a different thread but this really answers a lot of my questions about it! I can't wait to try this!

lolimsoasd

6/1/15
Hi, You need to get at least one, better more "training dials", get the compound from ebay, watch vids like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lhx2kPwSWE and experiment around. Me too, I love the "3d effect" and doing it myself, mainly by mixing acrylic white with Nescafé, water, brown etc. Oiler and toothpics come in handy to do the rest (holding the dial and applying) and best is to get a standing lupe so You can work below. Rodico for cleaning dust particles (read which one is best) and a dust aircan like for cleaning pc´s is a must too.
There are better methods and also ready-made vintage lume, but I try to keep things very low budget and this is what best worked for me. Have fun personalizing Yours.
Looks like this when You´re not a pro:)
before
Thanks a lot again for the 100% quality reply! I have contacted cwazy about this and I think I'll send my dial for him to relume.. :) I don't want to ruin my own haha.

D

d4m.test

Thanks a lot again for the 100% quality reply! I have contacted cwazy about this and I think I'll send my dial for him to relume.. :) I don't want to ruin my own haha.
Cwazy is in Conus and to my knowledge "retired" from lume. Kenny does a similar job in the EU:)

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
[MENTION=72466]Daywatch[/MENTION] - I want to do two things. I want to add texture to the entire dial surface and I also want to add depth and grittiness to the lume markers, like aged tritium would look. Do you spray the matte spray last or do you spray it first and then do the lume plots last?

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
I always wondered how a dial would look if left under the sun for a couple of months. The sun seems to age everything left under it in a very natural way. But you would have to remove the hands off from the watch first, because when it stops, and left under the sun, the hands will create a shadow on the 'aging' process. ........Maybe I should try this one day, on a spare 1680 or similar...............hmmmmmmm. .....[you would have to 'anchor' the watch outside, because a crow could take it away !] ......up on the roof or chimney perhaps........... http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...002e4b019f892a733f1/1417388040490/upload.jpeg

D

d4m.test

@Daywatch - I want to do two things. I want to add texture to the entire dial surface and I also want to add depth and grittiness to the lume markers, like aged tritium would look. Do you spray the matte spray last or do you spray it first and then do the lume plots last?

Hi, I always wanted to try this aging "Bonesy-style" is the best method I think and better than spraying. I would first varnish the dial and last put the lume dots (if You use the acrylic as I did above when dry it will be grainy and soak in any liquid). What I think might work well (untried) is to later apply matte womens nail polish either pure or mixed wih mercury/iod (as its reddish) on the dots.

D

d4m.test

I always wondered how a dial would look if left under the sun for a couple of months. The sun seems to age everything left under it in a very natural way. But you would have to remove the hands off from the watch first, because when it stops, and left under the sun, the hands will create a shadow on the 'aging' process. ........Maybe I should try this one day, on a spare 1680 or similar...............hmmmmmmm. .....[you would have to 'anchor' the watch outside, because a crow could take it away !] ......up on the roof or chimney perhaps........... http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...002e4b019f892a733f1/1417388040490/upload.jpeg

You will need loads, and I mean loads:) - of patience (I´d estimate 2-3 Years for an insert) . Someday I will try with a dial, for now I left this insert pictured below from cousins.uk 3 months on the window bench (February - April) and than another 3 exposed outside in the glaring sun and moonlight allday/allnight May-June-July. Finally it was 45 minutes in bleach. For me the only method that works is caustic soda (although that one suddenly works "too much"- not used on this insert). Except for a very light discouloration between 30 and 35 nothing happened, nada, it´s just not as brilliant as it was before.

what 3 months on a window bench turned to the sun and another 3 months outside 24/7 in the glaring sun do to an insert:)
IMG_6697c_zpswabjusgc.jpg

jackflash

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
12/10/12
EU
Yuki insert sanded with 2000 grade wet & dry sandpaper (wet). Then bleached for 2mins. Yuki dial, plots soften slightly with water using watch oiler, then left to dry, giving them a slightly uneven finish. Dial lightly dusted with matt varnish. Here's the result.
354d715c7909f6e5a35ccee216ab45e7.jpg

b86c43a2678280077df5cbc83fdcd85f.jpg

Reactions: adi…italy

lolimsoasd

6/1/15
Yuki insert sanded with 2000 grade wet & dry sandpaper (wet). Then bleached for 2mins. Yuki dial, plots soften slightly with water using watch oiler, then left to dry, giving them them a slightly uneven finish. Dial lightly dusted with matt varnish. Here's the result.

Wow.. this is sexy... Would you do this for mine dial as well? :D

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
[MENTION=52250]jackflash[/MENTION] - would this work with a Puretime 1680 dial? My lume markers are flat and shiny but I like the shade. So you just use the oiler with drops of water to roughen up the surface, and then the matte spray adds the texture?

This is getting really inspiring. [emoji2]

jackflash

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
12/10/12
EU
[MENTION=52250]jackflash[/MENTION] - would this work with a Puretime 1680 dial? My lume markers are flat and shiny but I like the shade. So you just use the oiler with drops of water to roughen up the surface, and then the matte spray adds the texture?

This is getting really inspiring. [emoji2]

No, unfortunately not. You probably won't see a difference. The Yuki plots have an additional lume applied to them after the dial is printed..

Another route on your PT dial would be to add drops of tea, rather than pure water. Then place the dial under a Halogen lamp to heat until the dots just start smoking. Then, a light dusting of matt spray to add the texture. Here's the result on a 1665 Singer dial,
4a9f105485f315cd1af98be528220234.jpg

And an Ingod44 5517 dial
682688686c93d1ff0e47d7b451c858f0.jpg

And a couple of 5513 dials with just a dusting of matt spray. The meters first (Yuki) less than the serif feet first (Singer).
d470adc16c15a3f0a9e68d213b543464.jpg

083bc8aa19d56e3fc39ccf5b41fdfe3a.jpg

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
No, unfortunately not. You probably won't see a difference. The Yuki plots have an additional lume applied to them after the dial is printed..

Another route on your PT dial would be to add drops of tea, rather than pure water. Then place the dial under a Halogen lamp to heat until the dots just start smoking. Then, a light dusting of matt spray to add the texture. Here's the result on a 1665 Singer dial,
4a9f105485f315cd1af98be528220234.jpg

And an Ingod44 5517 dial
682688686c93d1ff0e47d7b451c858f0.jpg

And a couple of 5513 dials with just a dusting of matt spray. The meters first (Yuki) less than the serif feet first (Singer).
d470adc16c15a3f0a9e68d213b543464.jpg

083bc8aa19d56e3fc39ccf5b41fdfe3a.jpg
Wow! That is exactly what I want mine to look like. Seriously, those dials are absolutely perfect. I want that identical result. [emoji2]

jackflash

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
12/10/12
EU
Wow! That is exactly what I want mine to look like. Seriously, those dials are absolutely perfect. I want that identical result. [emoji2]
Thanks. Not difficult to do. really.. Maybe practice on an old dial first though. Good luck!

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
Thanks. Not difficult to do. really.. Maybe practice on an old dial first though. Good luck!
Yes, I plan to pick up a few cheap dials to experiment on with different techniques. So just to confirm, those dials above are aged using the halogen light/tea method and then a spritz or so of matte spray?

Thanks for the help. I feel empowered.

jackflash

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
12/10/12
EU
Yes, I plan to pick up a few cheap dials to experiment on with different techniques. So just to confirm, those dials above are aged using the halogen light/tea method and then a spritz or so of matte spray?

Thanks for the help. I feel empowered.

Yeap, to varying degrees. Easy really. Go for it! However, remember less is more :)