• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

42 PO with DG4813

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
21J's are nigh-on bulletproof, and I don't mind them at all. I've had nothing but good experiences with all the 21J's I've had, and they're cheap to replace to boot.

ericb196

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
18/5/11
Bad news of the day.... I played too much with the crown and now it won't screw back anymore....
I'll give it a try to change to gen crown and tube... Hope it works with the DG4813 and I hope it's not too difficult !

Would you remove the movement for changing the tube or let it in ?

ck6459

11/9/10
More bad news, I don't think DG4813 takes gen part at all, you may need some additional modifications

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
More bad news, I don't think DG4813 takes gen part at all, you may need some additional modifications

Correct, it won't. But his case can. :) The Gen crown/tube is doable.

ericb196

Supporter
Certified
18/5/11
Yeh, that's what I thought also... I didn't want at start to modify deeply the watch to franken it. It's a nice watch for me like this and that's why the DG4813 make sense.
But I have to repair it and I thing that it has to be doable because it's just on the case.

Let see when I'll get the crown and crown tube

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11
The thing is that even the gen POs have this weakness in the crown/tube/threading... so after the change for a real tube crown... be careful with them !

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Yeh, that's what I thought also... I didn't want at start to modify deeply the watch to franken it. It's a nice watch for me like this and that's why the DG4813 make sense.
But I have to repair it and I thing that it has to be doable because it's just on the case.

Let see when I'll get the crown and crown tube

You could always AR the crystal? :lol:

ericb196

Supporter
Certified
18/5/11
I received the crown and crow tube.

I managed to remove quite easily the older tube and I was quite happy with it. Then I tried (for testing) to put the stem in the movement again and it didn't work anymore.... The only thing that I can do is change the hour and minute... This seems to be that my stem keyless mechanism needs to be looked at (there is a nice DIY somewhere on the web...)
So I ordered tools to remove hands (I hadn't them...) and we will see once the hand dial and date are removed if I can do something with it....

ericb196

Supporter
Certified
18/5/11
Just a thought of the day !! After I messed up my DG4813 (it's all my fault), I was thincking about something. And If I decided to franken completely the watch by putting a 2824 inside + gen dail hands and bezel (the gen tube and crown tube is allready on my case).

I have the feeling this is possible and we can find some 2824-2 at "good" prices on the bay...

Do you think that there can be an issue doing this ? Because if not, I can tell you one thing, the better version to franken is then to buy a DG4813 and it will be less expensive than buying a clone ETA or a real ETA at the end !

The only thing I'm not sure is movement holder, is the one from the DG4813 re-usable with a 2824 !?

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I think you might have an issue with your existing movement holder. That is why you should buy the A2824 model. It's just easier. :)

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11
To me, the he valve is positioned correctly, its only fault being its size...

auslander

18/2/11
Just a thought of the day !! After I messed up my DG4813 (it's all my fault), I was thincking about something. And If I decided to franken completely the watch by putting a 2824 inside + gen dail hands and bezel (the gen tube and crown tube is allready on my case).

I have the feeling this is possible and we can find some 2824-2 at "good" prices on the bay...

Do you think that there can be an issue doing this ? Because if not, I can tell you one thing, the better version to franken is then to buy a DG4813 and it will be less expensive than buying a clone ETA or a real ETA at the end !

The only thing I'm not sure is movement holder, is the one from the DG4813 re-usable with a 2824 !?

I have a 2824-2 in my PO that has been retired. I'm planning on putting it up for sale in the RWI Classifieds in a week or so if you're interested, Send me a PM.

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11

I don't really think that frankening the DG4813 version is the best option.
It might be more cost effective, and easier technically, to keep your current version (maybe dead, maybe salvaged by some watchsmith, if it's for cheap), and then buy a 2824 version from a dealer.

Anyway, with a 2824-2, it's still not going to be a "good" franken (in the sense of more accurate than the original DG4813) since the co-axial movement is quite different from both, and beats at 25.2 kbph...

As for the movement holder, it's certainly quite different, given that both movements have different dimensions.

ericb196

Supporter
Certified
18/5/11
Before changing to a 2824, I'll first see what can be done with the movement....
I'll keep you informed...

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
edit: nevermind my noob question I found it.

Hmm.. this movement I would assume is single direction wind so I dunno maybe worthwhile to spend the extra 50 quid on asia ETA clone.

ericb196

Supporter
Certified
18/5/11
I'm really unlucky with this specific watch.....

Broken crown/crown tube then I gave a try to change to gen parts, but impossible to put the stem in place.
Then I repaired the keyless on it but impossible to put the second hand on it... At that point I found someone who can help me. We agreed that I send him the watch so that he can help me and...... the watch was lost by the french post....

Unlucky on this one.....

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Jesus eric are you serious! Sorry to hear that it was lost, maybe time to write this one off as a lemon and ....you got a lucky escape. That's reps at times! ...when they work they can go on ticking...I have a tag kirum A21j from around '98 and its still going strong. However when things go wrong they can be a nightmare. I think your PO had some sort of chinese curse placed on it before shipping :) ....you're better off without it, you'd probably be hit by a bus in a month or two if you were wearing that one ;)

Better luck next rep!

ericb196

Supporter
Certified
18/5/11
yeh it's probably better.... Thanks for the support....

the only bad thing is that I liked really much this watch..... I'll need to buy another one... But not now (I'm already waiting of two others.... These reps are like drugs....)

ericb196

Supporter
Certified
18/5/11
Great news... Watch finally delivered....
Hope that will be adjustable (after all the things I tried on it included bad things...)