• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

40 Years..Where did they go?

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07

ON THIS DAY… 18 JUN 1965
I SAW JOHN MAYALL & THE BLUESBREAKERS IN LONDON, UK
On this day in 1965, I went to see John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers at the Pontiac Club in Putney, London. It showcased Eric Clapton’s magnificent mastery of the blues guitar. Eric came to stay at my home in Epsom that night as I had told him about the recordings and guitar sound I was getting from my Simon recorder. We played together and tracks surfaced on the ‘Blues Anytime’ series on Immediate Records. I went on to produce ‘I’m Your Witchdoctor’ and ‘Telephone Blues’ with Mayall and Clapton, as well as ‘Sitting on Top of the World’ and ‘Double Crossing Time’.
http://soundcloud.com/jimmypage/miles-road/s-HxInf

rol_man

Respected Member
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
On this day… 17 Jun 1966
I played on Chris Farlowe's 'Out Of Time'

I played acoustic on Chris Farlowe's 'Out Of Time' and you can hear it soloing in the middle of the song. It's a Jagger/Richards composition and Farlowe's version is brilliant. It went to No. 1 and was in the UK charts for 40 weeks. This is the acoustic which was played on the song.
01170666.jpg

CHRIS FARLOWE - OUT OF TIME (U.K.No1.1966) - YouTube
Outstanding rendition!

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
19 JUN 1969
I PLAYED ON FRENCH TV IN PARIS WITH LED ZEPPELIN

On this day in 1969, I played the TV programme ‘Tous En Scene - Antenne Culturelle du Kremlin-Bicêtre’ in Paris with Led Zeppelin. The two songs that were featured in various TV shows and TV series to promote the bands work with reference to the first album were ‘Communication Breakdown’ and ‘Dazed and Confused’. With some of these TV shows at the time, it became more obvious that wanting to perform our material live and the quality of the TV recording just wasn’t working - like mixing oil and water.
Also on ths day, in 2009, I met the gorgeous Miss Alison Mosshart from The Kills, and recently with Jack White’s Dead Weather at the LA Film Festival. I’d seen the band premiere at the Roxy two days before.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLsLNsKivfI"]Led Zeppelin 1969 live [HD] - Communication Breakdown - Dazed and confused - Soundcheck (Paris) - YouTube[/ame]

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
I received an honorary Doctorate Of Music at The University of Surrey

Today's the summer solstice, and in 2008 I received an honorary doctorate of music at the University of Surrey at Guildford Cathedral.
I had visited the Cathedral before in my Epsom choirboy days, but over forty years later receiving this degree was a moving experience for me and my family, who were also present at the ceremony. The University had some cool facilities and students were up to some interesting music, with sound engineers graduating in digital and analogue recording.

dsc4502.jpg

rol_man

Respected Member
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
Waitin' for the next installment, Doc!

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07

ON THIS DAY… 21 JUN 1966
I PLAYED MY FIRST SHOW WITH THE YARDBIRDS AT MARQUEE CLUB, LONDON
01_210666.jpg

In the summer of 1966, Jeff Beck had invited me to a Yardbirds show at the May Ball at Queen’s College, Oxford, where the band were to perform in a giant marquee. They were really playing well that night but the audience of penguin-suited university bods were mainly unreceptive and too busy being loud drunks. During the set, Keith Relf became disenchanted with the audience and morphed into what would later be termed a punk, with colourful language and insults to what was a drunken bunch of Hoorays. Keith was wobbling but he finished the set with suitable angst. I thought he was brilliant under the circumstances, but Paul Samwell Smith left the band that evening.
Three days after the Oxford gig, on this day in ‘66, The Yardbirds had this date at London’s Marquee club with no bass player. In the event that Paul was not going to return, I volunteered to play bass with them. This was my debut. It was not an easy job to fill the massive powerhouse role set by Paul Samwell Smith, but I pulled it off.
02_210666.jpg

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
My old man was there, as a 16 year old sneaking into his first gig to see the Yardbirds! He was a big Zepplin, Cream, Hendrix, Clapton and Sabbath fan and passed it on to me.

My mum was a First Class stewardess on BA in the late 60's and early 70's so also met a lot of bands and got them to autograph her albums, although I don't think Led Zep were quite her thing!

I don't listen to much music these days, but went past Headley Grange the other day (I live in Dorset) and had to dig out 4 on the iPod!

Timeless

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
22 JUN 1970
I PLAYED REYKJAVIK WITH LED ZEPPELIN
WE WENT TO THE LAND OF THE ICE AND SNOW
tumblr_m601fulSHc1qmle2jo1_1280.jpg

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
23 JUN 2010
I VISITED MANGUEIRA AND PORTELA IN BRAZIL

On this day in 2010, I was in Rio where I would be getting an injection of high voltage Samba at the percussive samba schools of Mangueira, Portela and Beija Flor. During this period, I had a showcase that coincided with the build up to a World Cup football match being projected on an adjacent wall in the hall. The Brazilians are known for their passion for football and the same school’s percussion and dancers timed the conclusion to their mini-showcase admirably as the glances became more than anxious from those watching the screen, awaiting the kick off.

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m63f17Q2AP1qmle2jo1_1280.jpg
ON THIS DAY… 24 JUN 1969
LED ZEPPELIN RECORDED THE JOHN PEEL SESSIONS AT MAIDA VALE, LONDON

‘Whole Lotta Love’ / ‘What Is and What Should Never Be’ / ‘Communication Breakdown’ / ‘Travelling Riverside Blues’
We recorded this show at Maida Vale studio to promote ‘Led Zeppelin II’. In typical Led Zeppelin tradition ‘Travelling Riverside Blues’ was made up on the spot from a riff I had on the electric twelve string. We had reached a point at the BBC where you could overdub a solo over the initial track of the song. This helped a lot to give a more complete rendition of our material and I must say the BBC engineer Tony Wilson did a really good job for us on this day. The BBC producer was John Walters.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtEAp-Rybl0"]Led Zeppelin - Travelling Riverside Blues - YouTube[/ame]

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Synchronicity in Auburn Hills

On this day in 1998, Page & Plant played The Palace of Auburn Hills in Detroit and two years later I played with The Black Crowes at the same venue on the same day.

02_260698.jpg

01_260698.jpg

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
27 Jun 1999
I performed at 'Scream' at the Cafe de Paris, London

On this day in 1999, I played at the 'Scream' event for the charities Task Brasil and ABC Trust at the Café de Paris in London. Also volunteering for that evening were the feisty Stereophonics; it was an early outing in London for them, and everybody took notice that night. Steven Tyler and Joe Perry from Aerosmith jammed a few numbers with me, as did Chris and Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes. It was really kind of all these guys to help the event out and make it one incredible concert. It was as a result of this event that I was to team up and tour with the Black Crowes in the US. PHOTO: Ross Halfin © 1999

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
ON THIS DAY… 28 JUN 1969
LED ZEPPELIN PLAYED BATH, UK
http://jimmypage-onthisday.tumblr.com/#
Led Zeppelin played at the Bath Festival twice - once in 1969 and once in 1970 - and both concerts coincided on the 28th June. In 1969, Led Zeppelin were within the bill, but I remember seeing The Nice play with Keith Emerson for the first time. He was phenomenal to watch at that time, stabbing the keyboard with knives to set up a drone, whilst playing and improvising over it. Rocking the organ backwards and forward, switching it on and off, making it alter in pitch and defying gravity. At this time he was the Hendrix of the Hammond organ. Fantastic.
In 1970, we played and it was really cold. The people at the front of the audience were covered by sleeping bags, coats and blankets to keep them warm. It was because of the cold weather that I wore my overcoat and hat that day. It was an honest statement.
This was around the Bron-y-aur and third album period, so material was played hot off the press. We started with ‘Immigrant Song’ and were relentless in showing why we deserved to be top of the bill. Here’s a setlist.
tumblr_m6ats1K9KA1qgsgo9.png

There was an attempt to film this, but, as we preferred to play at dusk, the filming was unsuccessful as the film crew had brought daylight film - as opposed to the High Speed film needed to capture night filming.
Sir Peter Blake told me that he attended both of these concerts.

BADWIN BING

Respected Member
30/4/10
ON THIS DAY.....29th JUNE 1995
Page and Plant played Roskilde Festival, Denmark

Roskilde was one of the best festivals to play. The audience were adorned with buoyant flags and magnetic enthusiasm.

plakat-1995.jpg

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
B is taking over for a bit here fella's...Thanks so much for helping out B.

BADWIN BING

Respected Member
30/4/10
30th June 1990

I played at Knebworth with Robert Plant for the Nordoff Robbins Silver Clef Award

On this day in 1990, I played at the Nordoff Robbins Silver Clef awards show. Nordoff Robbins is a music therapy charity. I guested with Robert Plant who had been Cleffed! Also on the bill was Cliff Richard and The Shadows, Dire Straits, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Genesis, Paul McCartney, Pink Floyd, Status Quo and Tears for Fears.

Our set consisted of: 'Hurting Kind' / 'Tall Cool One' / 'Wearing and Tearing' / 'Rock 'n' Roll'. 'Wearing and Tearing' was performed live by Robert and myself for the first time.

I had an opportunity to speak with the Cobbold family, who owned Knebworth House, and of Edward Bulwer-Lytton, the 19th Century author, who wrote ‘Zanoni’ (1842) and ‘A Strange Story’ (1862). They told me his library was still in existence in the house.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpK8sZHD_Q4&feature=player_embedded"]Robert Plant & Jimmy Page - Wearing and Tearing - YouTube[/ame]

BADWIN BING

Respected Member
30/4/10
Cheers SF. :)

You know, I was actually a little nervous and apprehensive about taking this on. Now I have, I'm quite surprised how much I'm enjoying it. I love Led Zep and JP anyway so it's not exactly a chore.

Thanks for the support my friend and thanks also to :ZoSo:for putting his trust in me.

rol_man

Respected Member
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
Thanks for taking this on board BB........much appreciated by all followers of this fantastic thread.
respect-051.gif
+1... thanks BB, that's what makes this forum what it is...great! :thumbsup: