• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2020 The Year of the Luminor according to Panerai CEO

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
PAM1662 titanium, gray dial + Carbotech bezel, this is true that can be repeated, and I would like to see it. Not a fan of the blue dials, but with the black hands it also looks good, it reminds me of 082. This can be repeated, and I am sure it will be so. According to fibratech, this is still new material for vsf, so soon we won’t see anything, so I imagine that we will see all the models made from ordinary Carbotech. By the way, bucherer, with its blue dial and black case, was clearly a fellow.

This cracks me up. Not what you said but the way it translated.

By the way, bucherer, with its blue dial and black case, was clearly a fellow.

But this is why I quoted. What do you mean by this?

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
I wanted to say, Hazing that when the pam1021 bucherer model came out, it was a model that preliminary gave an idea of ​​further models, earlier than it was known about new releases.

Unfortunately, when my thought is complicated or long, and I understand that my vocabulary is not enough, I have to use a translator. Apparently in these circumstances, he is not better.

Reactions: Hazing

Hazing

9/5/19
So they are all 1950 cases? No Bettarini cases?
While there are none in the line of new releases, they do have more releases scheduled throughout 2020 so who knows.

And these are Luminor cases. Isn't there a difference between Luminor and Luminor 1950 cases? How does a Bettarini case differ from other cases. I Google it and couldn't find anything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
While there are none in the line of new releases, they do have more releases scheduled throughout 2020 so who knows.

And these are Luminor cases. Isn't there a difference between Luminor and Luminor 1950 cases? How does a Bettarini case differ from other cases. I Google it and couldn't find anything.

It's like the difference in cases between pam312 (1950) and pam104 (bettarini)

Hazing

9/5/19

Photos for visualization from Google. True, 1950 is not 44mm., but 47.

Thank you, Kot1917. I understand the difference between the luminor case and the luminor 1950 case. And all these new models use the 44mm luminor case.

What i I was unsure of is the shape or difference in the Bettarini case. I believe he was someone who helped design some cases in the past. I just don’t know the features to distinguish them from other cases.

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
If I correctly understood the essence of the matter, Hazing ... In honor of Bettarini, who developed this design, they call it an ordinary luminor (such as 111, 104 and so on). And all these new models have a case luminor 1950 44mm. (Such as 312, 320 tons and so on.)
When I heard about "Year of luminor", I was hoping to see not only the new luminor 1950 44mm models, but also the luminor bettarini. However, so far, none of them has been presented to the public.

Hazing

9/5/19
Ahh, OK. Thank you for that explanation KOT1917. Now I get it. I think.

So it's that style case some people say looks like a tuna can (if you ever heard that expression) with the flat crystal?

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
Unfortunately, i have not heard such a definition before, Hazing ...

​​​​​​But, if done simply, see on the profile of case: my pam026 or pam299 has a bettarini case:
(First 3 photos)

20200320-145612-0.jpg

20200320-145304-0.jpg

20200320-145355-0.jpg

Pam1312 (left old) and pam312 (right new), are 1950 case. As well as new releases, as pam1312:
(Photo 4)
image-asset.jpg

They all have flat crystals. (Well, or not quite flat, but not a dome).

You are right that bettarini does not have dome crystals.

At luminors 1950 44mm, the dome is available in some models (chronographs, 8 and 10 day movements), like this pam233:
(Photo 5)

*Yes, sorry, for some examples I used random photos from Google that were suitable for the content. I do not know anything about their origin and have nothing to do with them.​*

pam00233-side.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hazing

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Alright, let's keep the discussion on track with the new models shall we? ;)

The only thing that stands out to me is the new Fibratech material and any specific watch it would be the PAM1663. So the trend of breaking the reference numbers continues, I see (like the PAM01118 is not an updated PAM00118). I guess with Panerai releasing a boatload of models, it was bound to happen. The PAM01119 looks too gimmicky for me, it's like one of those fan concepts come to life "what if we stuck luminova on everything?". I'm surprised they stopped short of putting a luminova stripe on the caseback.

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
I agree.????
By the way, on this 1663 from Carbotech, apparently also a CG lever and a crown. Interestingly, the new fibratech has some limitations in strength or processing, or is it a design element. Judging by this photo, it seems to me that lugs are also thicker than usual on this type of case.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
I agree.????
By the way, on this 1663 from Carbotech, apparently also a CG lever and a crown. Interestingly, the new fibratech has some limitations in strength or processing, or is it a design element. Judging by this photo, it seems to me that lugs are also thicker than usual on this type of case.

I’m thinking it’s a design element to match the bezel. All of these nanotech polymers have incredible strength to weight ratios and *should* not need compensating. Of course, tell that to the guys who bought gen BMGs and had lugs sheer off haha.

On the renderings, I wouldn’t trust any of the little things out of whack until we see a mode in the flesh. The renderings often have many practical details wrong by failing to pay proper attention to them.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
I think it's more of a design choice than strength of materials. Otherwise, why use carbotech on the bezel but not the midcase (which has a larger surface area therefore bigger potential for damage)? Why use it on the crown when it doesn't really experience any abnormal stress?

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
Yes, probably it is, by analogy with the use of titanium / steel in combination models.
Also, maybe these are smaller elements that are more difficult to make from this material? These are just thoughts.

Commander Straker

17/1/17
UK
I agree Mysterio. I'm not a great fan of the new models, which are over designed, and too fussy for my taste. Panerai seems to be slowly moving away from its heritage (maybe it's done all it can with it and it knows what sells). It's down to personal taste I suppose, but I prefer clean, uncluttered, historically referenced design (Pam 127 works ????). From a rep perspective, this is a problem because the factories are no longer making many of the classics, and concentrating instead on new models.

Hazing

9/5/19
It’s funny because I was in the process of trying to make a Panerai Basball cap (have it made) and a few shirts and looked into having it embroidered with a luminescent thread (on the hat) and vinyl (on the shirt). I thought it was a cool and novel idea but already... instantly... it feels overdone. As soon as I say the watch and the strap with the luminescent stitching, it completely took the wind out of my sails. When the truth is, it’s probably a better time than any. But it just doesn’t have the originality I was hoping for.

I agree.????
Panerai-Luminor-Marina-Fibratech-44-Prima-Assoluta-PAM01663-PAM1663-2020-Carbotech-a-Blogto-Watch-1.jpg

they mentioned coming out with one new material every year for the next few years. That starts to feel like they’re trying to do too much. And based one the carbotech last year and the fibratech this year, they really seem to be going all in on the material of the year.

And this year they have two if you count their goldtech too.

Last edited:

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Yes, probably it is, by analogy with the use of titanium / steel in combination models.
Also, maybe these are smaller elements that are more difficult to make from this material? These are just thoughts.

As I understand the process involved in composite manufacturing, basalt fibers are easily interchangeable with fiberglass, with limited changes to processing conditions. So manufacturability-wise, I don't expect any major difficulties producing fibratech.

Last edited:

PAM_BOY

Legendary Member
6/5/19
Germany
I agree Mysterio. I'm not a great fan of the new models, which are over designed, and too fussy for my taste. Panerai seems to be slowly moving away from its heritage (maybe it's done all it can with it and it knows what sells). It's down to personal taste I suppose, but I prefer clean, uncluttered, historically referenced design (Pam 127 works ????). From a rep perspective, this is a problem because the factories are no longer making many of the classics, and concentrating instead on new models.

I totally agree with you! Most people love Panerai (like me) because of its historical heritage !!!
Ok, people want new models, but you shouldn't neglect the classic historical models! Maybe two production lines would be the key to success, one historical-classic and a modern line!