• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Unrealistic expectations of forum members ( majority ) by a disillusioned replica buyer

Vineetd23

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
13/12/21
Los Angeles, CA
This.

Anyway, yes @chocolito you've really been unlucky with those three examples.

I've not been around the scene all that long, so should probably STFU and wait for a couple more years till my collection's matured a bit. But in the blink of an eye that I have been here, I've somehow managed to buy over 200 watches, most of them reps, and I'd say that no more than a dozen of them have exhibited any issues (mostly minor like being a bit reluctant to click over at midnight, that sort of thing). I've had one or two DOA and a couple have died while I owned them... mix of TD and M2M examples.

I put it all down to the luck of the draw. They're small marvels of mechanical engineering. Once you've tinkered with a few and seen how fragile it all is (and broken lots of bits as a result), it's frankly staggering that any of them survive a day worn on the average person's wrist!
You definitely have standing, more than most, to chime in after 200 watch purchases, OP should consult with you before his next purchase, or he should just throw darts to randomly pick one, better chance of no issues that way then after his carefully researched purchases.

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I found this in my latest VSF, someone help !

FB_IMG_1561226178441.jpg
But you know that Tony suffers from Hirsutism, stop buying from him.

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
It's just a fun hobby. If I would Beginn to worry about Issues and lost money I would stop.
I think many of us do own Gens too, or would be able to buy but reps are a special sort of fun.
You can try out watches your interested in for little money. For me personally I love building my own
Vintage watches.
This is very true. I own gens but love reps as a “try before you buy” type thing. Also it opens the door to modding and that is one hell of a door to deal with once opened.

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
I can't compare to the obvious rep gods here but here is my miniscule experience.

VSF 126610lv, bought m2m here, in person last year, had been serviced, regulated and water tested. Perfect, keeps time within 5 seconds a day. My boss has a real 116610ln and as normal 50+ y/o with normal eyesight, we agree, you cannot tell mine isn't gen or his isn't rep. Truly NWBIG.
VSF 126610ln, would be my daily wear but drops random 5-10 min when it feels like it, have never actually witnessed it so no idea if it stops for 5 mins or slows from a hour. Quality wise other than that to touch, again NWBIG. Probably just needs a service.
VSF 116613lb, perfect, obv plated and VSF plated at that so Saturday night posing, not a daily wearer.
Clean Pepsi GMT M2, crystal is poor and as I have 8.5" wrists have got cheap eBay links added, other than that, perfect.
Now sold 16610lv, Kermit, 18 y/o, still going strong.

Last edited:

guybythelake

13/7/14
Interesting points... But... I think it depends on the rep, is it a 100 bucks DH Gate or something like Clean or VSF or ZF. Also are we talking about the movement or other parts of the watch? Most good reps today are not going to fall apart unless you abuse them. Actually they are put together very nicely. Let's take Rollies for example. They are performance watches, if you get a Clean Sub, while it will be fine with pool time, I would not take it down 200 meters in ocean because it is not likely to hold up. But how many of people are doing that? Most submariner owners gen or rep do not go deep diving, so you are wasting your money for paying for performance requirements that you don't need. I think gens are more of a novelty item that a good rep... lol.
But also I recognize that I am able to perform basic things to my watches such as I can a do movement sawp, regulation and basic watchsmitting like lubing the gaskets. And I have changed movements in the past. This is still so much more cost effective than a gen with pretty much same look and feel. I treat all my watches with care, gen or rep and their performance has been acceptable for my lifestyle. So I would not dismiss good reps as toys since they serve me everyday just as a gen would.