• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Aquanaut 5168G Blue / Green by 3KF

Desmond20052000

21/3/17

Hello to all,

here are some QC of my 3k 5168.

The numbers "11" don`t seem to be parallel and in the same hight. The right "1" seems to be a bit lower than the left "1". What do you experts think?
What I also saw is that the date of "6" is not centered in the middle of the date window to up and down. It seems to be more located to the bottom.

Otherwise I think watch ist o.k. but the position/ mismatch of the two II at 11 doesnt look very good.

I didn't notice the date at first, but yeah it's off by a bit. The 11 does look crooked and that would make my eye sore.

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
ZbUkHo.png

Especially when they are going for £70k

Just something I noticed from the picture of the GEN.

I actually like in the picture that the second hand is at the 6 marker, as, and maybe it's me being super nerdy, but it kinda centres the dial, and shows straight away, if any of the markers are off as they should be broadly symmetrical either side of it visually.

I may not be explaining it too well, and maybe I'm thinking too much, but just because madedo mentioned the marker being off and I checked back to the gen and found it helpful.

Am sure my TD is gonna love me asking for that picture on my next order...
Anyway, as you rightly say, it's <1% of the price and we are a very picky bunch :)

Last edited:

kevBquick

9/10/18
so here is what I don’t like.
clasp when fitted does not join up when on the wrist.
Dial does not go from black to blue.

i will say it’s a beautiful piece. Stunning in person. Regardless of it not being the perfect dial. It is still really good. But ZF clasp is way better.

not sure how I’m going to go about fixing this. Maybe shaving the bottom end of where they meet.
i will say my zf 5167 does not do this.

Very nice on the wrist till I rolled it over to look.
movement is fine. Looks the part. Straps are well done. It’s much bigger than I thought. And I like this size over the 5167. The blue just grabs your attention.
My only real issue is the clasp. It won’t show in QC because it’s not on the wrist. It’s together but with one side undone per the usual. That is not different gen or rep wise.

kevBquick

9/10/18
so i put my 5167 clasp from ZF and it goes away...its definitely clasp issue in the way its manufactured.
first i thought it was the spring bars on the 3k 5168...pretty big barrels. but i swapped spring bars and the issue was still there. so I just took it off my 5167 and put it on
the 5168 and there is no gap then on the clasp.

almost a perfect piece.

curious to see if others have this issue. i'm sure i found a fix and i will be sending an email to inquire about it and seeing what i can do to acquire a zf clasp or someone else that is known for a proper fit.

WatchaholicMallorca

Renowned Member
2/9/16
so here is what I don’t like.
clasp when fitted does not join up when on the wrist.
Dial does not go from black to blue.

i will say it’s a beautiful piece. Stunning in person. Regardless of it not being the perfect dial. It is still really good. But ZF clasp is way better.

not sure how I’m going to go about fixing this. Maybe shaving the bottom end of where they meet.
i will say my zf 5167 does not do this.

Very nice on the wrist till I rolled it over to look.
movement is fine. Looks the part. Straps are well done. It’s much bigger than I thought. And I like this size over the 5167. The blue just grabs your attention.
My only real issue is the clasp. It won’t show in QC because it’s not on the wrist. It’s together but with one side undone per the usual. That is not different gen or rep wise.

mentioned earlier in the thread, grab some pliers and gently straighten the inner part of the butterfly clasp. Will get rid of the gap

bocodoku

Horology Curious
5/11/20
Ive just received the 3KF v2 of the RG 5167R-001, and it does look very good.

One problem that couldn't be seen on QC is the lume mismatch on the hands/dial -- lume on hands looks pure white, while its slightly textured on dial.

Desmond20052000

21/3/17

One problem that couldn't be seen on QC is the lume mismatch on the hands/dial -- lume on hands looks pure white, while its slightly textured on dial.

The 3K 5167 seems to have a problem with that, the lume is different on the hands and dial. However, I do want to compliment your clasp, nice fit! Did you straighten the centre piece or was that a perfect fit from the beginning?

WatchaholicMallorca

Renowned Member
2/9/16
Which part are we grabbing? I would definitely like to try.

Centerpiece here where it says Patek Phillipe, it’s curved, with some pliers ( and of course something soft either side of the pliers to avoid scratching )
gently straighten the curved out, just a few mm does the trick

Mindwatch

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
22/5/18

Its the same as with the non RG - 5167 - But out of that the watch is a stunner. Still love my 5167A from 3KF

kevBquick

9/10/18
Centerpiece here where it says Patek Phillipe, it’s curved, with some pliers ( and of course something soft either side of the pliers to avoid scratching )
gently straighten the curved out, just a few mm does the trick

yup i got it. thank you. and this does correct it the clasp issue. mine might be a little tight but its good if anything i can go back slightly. good to know though.

totally happy with this purchase. and now people can fix the clasp on their own. seems most reps need a lil help in one way or another. this is an easy fix.
and i would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a very solid representation of the 5168G.

lume is good. not mismatched like on the ZF or others maybe MK had it not mismatched but dial was lacking, number issues, placement.

i think this checks all the boxes....if your within reason of expectations. in hand it was definitely better than expected.

WatchaholicMallorca

Renowned Member
2/9/16
yup i got it. thank you. and this does correct it the clasp issue. mine might be a little tight but its good if anything i can go back slightly. good to know though.

totally happy with this purchase. and now people can fix the clasp on their own. seems most reps need a lil help in one way or another. this is an easy fix.
and i would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a very solid representation of the 5168G.

lume is good. not mismatched like on the ZF or others maybe MK had it not mismatched but dial was lacking, number issues, placement.

i think this checks all the boxes....if your within reason of expectations. in hand it was definitely better than expected.

My issue is the same, I bought a black version on m2m and it’s just a tad too small, having one built by legend as we speak and will attempt to fit a gen strap to that.
ordered a replacement strap for my current 3kf, and they sent me a ZF strap from the 38.5mm aquanaut and it’s too small between the lugs

kevBquick

9/10/18
The clasp was perfectly centred as I got it, very happy with the watch.

not sure if your saying that the line down the middle of the calatrava cross is centered or are you referring to the issue of the clasp not closing? my calatrava cross is fine as accuracy purposes goes.
its the clasp which is a known issue once fitted. but the slight bend on the butterfly clasp fixed it up. while i did swap my zf 5167 clasp onto my 3k 5168....they are both perfect so i see no reason to reset it backwards at this point....just more work.

enjoy....it really is a great looking watch.

madedo

Certified
4/12/20
Hello to all,

as follows are some QC pics from my TD (watch already accepted on the way).
Interested in your options and comments!

madedo

Certified
4/12/20
Index at 12 o' clock seems to be a bit off center and inclined to the left.
but could be an optical illusion?
What do you guys think? Any other hints of visible flaws (as i mentioned watch already accepted)

Reactions: Tony12345