• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New 6542 - budget factory option by TS-Station

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
Anyone want to part with their stock dial.. please msg me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redheart

17/5/19
Little by little it takes shape. Just waiting on some final parts to be delivered.
This 'budget' option is turning out to be a little bit expensive...

IMG-2962.jpg
IMG-2963.jpg
IMG-2971.jpg

Its superb! Can we see high resolution shot in the sun? That's where my varnish experiment doesn't look that good!

​​​​​What is expensive? You got a Ruby bracelet?

Last edited:

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Its superb! Can we see high resolution shot in the sun? That's where my varnish experiment doesn't look that good!

​​​​​What is expensive? You got a Ruby bracelet?

The dial - $270 - ouch!

Sadly, it's on its way back - the 'lume' (paint) was very brittle and several plots detached.

KJ2020 has mentioned that the paint on Ruby dials can be fragile, but damn...

Hopefully they'll send out a replacement.

I also completely screwed up the keyless so need to to a lot more than I planned.

The bracelet I got off ebay. I've seen the Ruby's one - its very nice indeed, but I really wanted the watch to have more weight.
The bracelet links on mine are solid - it has a really nice feel to it.
It appears to be the one MKII use on their 6542 homage - the biggest difference is you can actually get this one!

Here are some sunlight shots. They do show up the flaws! Important i think is to used a very thinned varnish - otherwise it can look yellow but also to have a layer of varnish over the back of the blue section - because the lume is not 100% opaque and is the wrong colour anyway, it can quickly become more blue. Its not perfect by a long way, but i think is better than stock...

With a lighter blue, you could surely have a nice transparent / gel like look, similar to the red, but I think a very dark, black-blue looks nicer against a white dial. I think what is the right thing to do is get a pleasing balance between the dial and the insert... Similarly, it is a question of how scratched to make it - it looks 'deeper' and richer when it is very glossy, but is that right? I think I'll make it a little bit shinier again...

DSC-7629.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC-7631.jpg
DSC-7619.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

HAMMER DOWN

12/5/12
Nope - there’s nothing there at all! Keep it dry or get it waterproofed.

Thanks, I see that some have upgraded the crown to gen and it threads on to the rep tube, but I would like to use a gen tube as well.

im hoping if someone would know if the threads in the case the same as a gen crown tube. And was there a sealant , loctite,epoxy , superglue , &c used to hold it in, - basically,what would be the difficulty level of successful extraction lol.

I'm not sure that the rep tube has the potential to be waterproof even with a good gen crown

I wore my 1680 red in the shower yesterday on accident, but thankfully I waterproofed it, it has a TC crown , etc. This 6542 I wouldn't want to even wash my hands with until I get it sorted. A recipe for disaster for me til it is.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Afternoon sunshine and a coat of Renaissance Wax applied - brings out the colours and makes the numbers less diffused. I think it's nicer slightly more shiny.
Clearly we are approaching Noob V7 Bezel levels of craziness here...

DSC-7637.jpg

Last edited:

Redheart

17/5/19
Afternoon sunshine and a coat of Renaissance Wax applied - brings out the colours and makes the numbers less diffused. I think it's nicer slightly more shiny.
Clearly we are approaching Noob V7 Bezel levels of craziness here...

DSC-7637.jpg

Hehe nice insert anyway! For the price you cannot go wrong, except the color it's pretty good actually. Maybe you sanded it too far, I don't have the color problem you mentioned.

Maybe some day they will sort out the color. I think there is another insert made now but it's the wrong fonts and is too white color. this one is better.

Last edited:

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
The dial - $270 - ouch!

Sadly, it's on its way back - the 'lume' (paint) was very brittle and several plots detached.

KJ2020 has mentioned that the paint on Ruby dials can be fragile, but damn...

Hopefully they'll send out a replacement.

I also completely screwed up the keyless so need to to a lot more than I planned.

The bracelet I got off ebay. I've seen the Ruby's one - its very nice indeed, but I really wanted the watch to have more weight.
The bracelet links on mine are solid - it has a really nice feel to it.
It appears to be the one MKII use on their 6542 homage - the biggest difference is you can actually get this one!

Here are some sunlight shots. They do show up the flaws! Important i think is to used a very thinned varnish - otherwise it can look yellow but also to have a layer of varnish over the back of the blue section - because the lume is not 100% opaque and is the wrong colour anyway, it can quickly become more blue. Its not perfect by a long way, but i think is better than stock...

With a lighter blue, you could surely have a nice transparent / gel like look, similar to the red, but I think a very dark, black-blue looks nicer against a white dial. I think what is the right thing to do is get a pleasing balance between the dial and the insert... Similarly, it is a question of how scratched to make it - it looks 'deeper' and richer when it is very glossy, but is that right? I think I'll make it a little bit shinier again...

DSC-7629.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC-7631.jpg
DSC-7619.jpg

do you mind sharing a link to the bracelet you purchased on ebay? what reference number are the end links? bought a riyi/raffles unbranded bracelet a while back but the end links dont fit my case set very well.

Last edited:

HAMMER DOWN

12/5/12
I also got the keyless out of wack a few times, freakishly easy to do on this one, or I'm out of practice. I ended up swapping all the keyless works and the two stem winding gears over from an old swiss ETA and I haven't had a problem since.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I also got the keyless out of wack a few times, freakishly easy to do on this one, or I'm out of practice. I ended up swapping all the keyless works and the two stem winding gears over from an old swiss ETA and I haven't had a problem since.
Oh god... In that case I'm really looking forward to doing the dial swap (to white) on one of my TS-Station 6542s... :)

Reactions: muiramas

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
^^ yep, the keyless has been made out of marzipan on this one.

do you mind sharing a link to the bracelet you purchased on ebay? what reference number are the end links? bought a riyi/raffles unbranded bracelet a while back but the end links dont fit my case set very well.

Sure, it's this one. The end links fit quite well after a bit of hammering and bending. I don't think this case is a good fit for any end links without some work. The only downer with the bracelet is that it comes with regular spring bars for non drilled cases - make sure to get some 1.5 spring bars - 2mm wont fit in the mid link.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPERB-S...rand=Unbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

itgoes211

10/4/19
Little by little it takes shape. Just waiting on some final parts to be delivered.
This 'budget' option is turning out to be a little bit expensive...

IMG-2962.jpg
IMG-2963.jpg
IMG-2971.jpg

Wow, that dial and bezel really look good. Your work on the bezel makes all the difference! Kudos

Reactions: KJ2020

Soxxgo2

Renowned Member
2/2/15
Phoenix, AZ
How Long have u been waiting or waited?
Shipping is a pain with the strike of the pandemic
It was shipped with DHL just a couple days ago. So we'll see how long it takes. When the TD's ship via DHL, what priority do they use? I feel like I'm the past it took about 3-4 days to get to the US with DHL.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: jasonbaylee

Dan71

Renowned Member
24/4/15
Italy
Is a fantastic watch is very thin and light . I forget that I have it on the wrist .
Maybe is this folded bracelet that is like a feather..

The 1680 is heavier and with big presence.

Last edited:
Reactions: HAMMER DOWN