• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What Dressy Watch Would You Pick?

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
mss22 said:
I'm looking for a watch that would work perfect with business casual or a suit.

Perhaps a Rolex then.....maybe a DateJust or a DayDate. I think those work in both situations.

mss22

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/7/09
Thoughts on this?

pic.php

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Agree with Guanaco. That's not really a good rep. Not a bad looking watch, per se, but if you're looking for something that's relatively close to the gen, that's not it.

One thing I would ask. How large are your wrists? If you have small wrists, you have a lot of options for dress watches. If you have larger wrists (say, 7.5" and above), you're going to be a lot more limited.

One brand I would definitely look at is MontBlanc. The Timewalker series, in particular, are really beautiful watches (and pretty close to the gen, provided you don't go with the quartz).

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
i would chose this one. leather never looks as good as gold when it is wrapped around your wrist. :wink:

Cloudhopper

7/6/09
ahw676 said:
Have you noticed that Cartier makes pink men's watches? Where would you put those on the dressiness scale?

If you are gay or metro and/or work in an environment encouraging those styles it is an 8/10 i think, depending on the shirt and tie you wear.

If you work in a more traditional environment or in IT, you are dead. -50/10.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Cloudhopper said:
ahw676 said:
Have you noticed that Cartier makes pink men's watches? Where would you put those on the dressiness scale?

If you are gay or metro and/or work in an environment encouraging those styles it is an 8/10 i think, depending on the shirt and tie you wear.

I wouldn't mind wearing a salmon dial Cartier, does that mean I'm gay?

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
i would like to have a salmon dial bj.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
A lot of people will go with a SS and gold two-tone for more formal stuff. The two-tone Cartier Ballon Bleu is one of nicest I've seen, and it's pretty close to the gen (although I'm not sure if any of our dealers still carry it). One watch that is underrated but is one of the best dress watches I've seen is the Cartier Tortue:

http://www.watcheden.com/cartier-tortue ... 8-p-1.html

Great, great watch (although the hand wind is better than the 21j if you can find one).

And in answer to someone's question, you can get good deals on dress leather straps at a number of places. Personally, I've been pretty happy with Watchstyle (http://www.watchstyle.com/assets/own/sa ... style.com/) and Freda Watch Straps (http://www.fredawatchstraps.com/index.html). You don't need to spend $100 to $200 for a good strap (although you certainly can if you want). One thing to bear in mind-- don't fall into the trap of thinking that you're spending more for the strap than the watch is worth. While this is almost certainly true, think of it as adding to the overall value of the watch.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
guanaco said:
Cloudhopper said:
ahw676 said:

I wouldn't mind wearing a salmon dial Cartier, does that mean I'm gay?

I would say it depends on the circumstances. If you're wearing the salmon dial Cartier to work or to a movie or just hanging around, then no. If you're wearing the salmon dial Cartier while trolling the gay bars, looking for a quick one-off in the bathroom, then I would say there is a reasonable possibility that you are, in fact, gay.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
hk45ca said:

Um, HK, I don't know how to break it to you, but I think that is pretty much an admission that you are gay. Although I guess it depends on who is giving the bj. And who is wearing the salmon dial.

mss22

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/7/09
Any other dressy suggestions? I currently like these two:

118209_035icead.jpg

TOG16243ad.jpg

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
seanf said:
hk45ca said:

Um, HK, I don't know how to break it to you, but I think that is pretty much an admission that you are gay. Although I guess it depends on who is giving the bj. And who is wearing the salmon dial.

You guys are killin' me :lol: :lol: