• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

3K Aquanaut review

Anthonye

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
23/12/19
EU
Hi guys,

Just ordered the SS model and while waiting for it I'm wondering around to find a gen strap and used/cut ones are much more affordable than brand new.

But I am not able to get a grasp on how those straps exactly fit and it would help if you could give me some exemples of wrist sizes vs number of "stripes" remaining on one.

It would be greatly appreciated !

timnic54

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/2/16
Thailand
Hi guys,

Just ordered the SS model and while waiting for it I'm wondering around to find a gen strap and used/cut ones are much more affordable than brand new.

But I am not able to get a grasp on how those straps exactly fit and it would help if you could give me some exemples of wrist sizes vs number of "stripes" remaining on one.

It would be greatly appreciated !

Best I can offer is my wrist is 8.5 inches and I need 22 stripes, evenly distributed as it is a double clasp.

Anthonye

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
23/12/19
EU
Best I can offer is my wrist is 8.5 inches and I need 22 stripes, evenly distributed as it is a double clasp.
Thanks that's very helpful already, I would just need another examples (smaller ideally).

Btw what a wrist ! I took a soft ruler to check it and daaamn mine feels small !

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
Thanks that's very helpful already, I would just need another examples (smaller ideally).

Btw what a wrist ! I took a soft ruler to check it and daaamn mine feels small !

It makes life easy because most bracelet watches fit with no alteration, I never need the 2nd keeper on a leather band, but some watches I cant get on over my hand at all

Last edited:

fake64

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/4/07
Awesome review thread timnic54! Thanks for the detail.
Can you let me know which one has been getting the most wrist time? The 5167 or the 5711?

flextime

22/3/20
There has been a lot of discussions about markings on the case back on SS vs Gold models and frankly I am a bit confused about what is right and what is not. So I pulled 2 pics from the Patek website. The SS on Rubber does show markings but not the bracelet model one. So it does seem like 3K is correct, am I confused (quarentine effect) or mis-stating something?

BxN2P.jpg

The same question (from me) was answered by Tim a few pages back. Those who have owned or seen gen knows definitively that SS version does not have Au750 engravings on the lugs. If you look up YouTube videos of a SS 5167a, you’ll see that there are no markings on the lugs as well.

However, Patek’s web site DO indeed show a photo of the 5167a with engravings on the lugs (you can see it if you click through and enlarge the image), and we don’t exactly know why that is.

Some suspected that the white gold version was used in the photography and that it was a mistake. Often times, designers will use a single high quality image and just photoshop different color variations. In this case, they may have used the white gold 5168 and just photoshopped in a black dial.

In the world of high end luxury, it is not unheard of for manufacturers to plant known flaws in press kits to trick counterfeiters.

The engravings could also be a new addition to indicate that the central rotor is made of 21k gold.

All of the above are just hypotheses and your guess is as good as mine.

EDIT: updated photoshopping.

Last edited:

Mark1937

Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Case engraving indicates the white gold case. It was definitely Patek's mistake in building the site. If you go to C24 and see all the Aquanaut SS for sale, nobody has engravings.

Reactions: srhoque

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
Case engraving indicates the white gold case. It was definitely Patek's mistake in building the site. If you go to C24 and see all the Aquanaut SS for sale, nobody has engravings.

Correct. There is not the remotest possibility that Patek will sell a SS watch with gold markings. This would be completely impossible.

flextime

22/3/20
Correct. There is not the remotest possibility that Patek will sell a SS watch with gold markings. This would be completely impossible.

Using the same image and changing some elements of it (in this case, the dial) is a very common practice is design. So the website making a mistake seems most likely to me.

I do wonder how 3kf made that mistake as well. It seems unlikely they bought a white gold as reference thinking it is SS.

Anyway, the SS should have no markings, as stated by many here.

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
Using the same image and changing some elements of it (in this case, the dial) is a very common practice is design. So the website making a mistake seems most likely to me.

I do wonder how 3kf made that mistake as well. It seems unlikely they bought a white gold as reference thinking it is SS.

The workers at the factory who produced the case would have no idea what those markings mean. They won't even speak English. They just copy the markings they see on the website

Reactions: stufuse

flextime

22/3/20
The workers at the factory who produced the case would have no idea what those markings mean. They won't even speak English. They just copy the markings they see on the website

Make sense that the craftsman are just following whatever they see. But, I thought they bought one to copy, rather to going off images off the web.

Anyway, this is just fun speculation into their rep process. Thanks for indulging me.

Mark1937

Patron
Certified
25/3/17

3KF also produces the rose gold version with the engraved case. they probably haven't plated some rose gold cases and used them for the SS version

Reactions: LuminorReptar

flextime

22/3/20
3KF also produces the rose gold version with the engraved case. they probably haven't plated some rose gold cases and used them for the SS version

Sorry for the double post. I’m using Tapatalk and it keeps doing this.

Last edited:

Anthonye

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
23/12/19
EU
It makes life easy because most bracelet watches fit with no alteration, I never need the 2nd keeper on a leather band, but some watches I cant get on over my hand at all
Yes of course because with this kind of wrist only a bear hand can follow !

Anthonye

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
23/12/19
EU
This is it, especially knowing that the local market wouldn't even care of the marking

BIONONE

28/4/17
Guys, an interesting brown strap that the seller is discounting on ebay spain for 48h for those having the RG could be a real catch

It is fake and not even one of the good ones.

missing the plots and build in end links - the font looks horrid too.

Ask a TD and they will get you a decent and fairly priced alternative to the 3KF strap (which is reportedly not the best quality available).

Anthonye

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
23/12/19
EU
It is fake and not even one of the good ones.

missing the plots and build in end links - the font looks horrid too.

Ask a TD and they will get you a decent and fairly priced alternative to the 3KF strap (which is reportedly not the best quality available).
Oups sorry.
As I'm looking for black I just overviewed it too fast.
How to delete a message ?