• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New patek philippe nautilus from ppf

SmartyPants

18/5/17
I am tempted to pull the trigger on this, even though I have no need for another white faced watch. Actually, I have no need for a watch, period. But ...

My concern is the modified Miyota movement. I have had bad experiences (movement stability and accuracy) with 3 previous orders w. Miyota based movements. 3 of 3. PAM lefty, AP 15400, ZF PP Calatrava (opened a thread on this particular egregious topic). All of these are no longer in my possession. On the flip side, with fully cloned movements, considered riskier, I am quite happy. 4/4. Explorer CHS, JF Purple, Noob Daytona, Noob Hulk.

Would the experts who qualified the watch on aesthetics, care to comment on expectations on this movement?

-----

Reading this thread and other threads, it seems these PPs are retailing at $50-70k new!!

If somebody asks "which is the best PP" as opposed to "which is the best sub" the standard answer cant be analogous RF (Rolex factory).

Apart from the noisy rotors Miyotas seem to be real workhorses and can take a beating here and there. But noisy rotors are also common in certain gen AP and PP watches. You can make the rotor less noisy with some oil but I personally don't see any issues with that.

What I value about the Miyota movements is that they're universally understood by watchmakers. So if there's any issue pretty much anyone with knowledge in watchmaking can assist you. It also helps that replacement parts are plenty and cheap. Having a common movement means less headache in general. I've personally never had any issues with Miyota movements and I'm glad PPF is using them in their watches.

Reactions: vcappp

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
In addition to the two great post just over mine which I fully agree with (even the one from Gingerbubba...)
I've closely looked at this modified Miyota, and I don't think they changed much on it, would need to be taken apart to see exactly, but I'm sure there's just used a simple trick that's not visible to change the balance wheel cock position
Nothing done on this movement suggest less reliability

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
Yeah I’ve never had a problem with Miyota movements I guess you were just unlucky.

Like what’s already been said the rotor sounds cheap and they feel cheap to wind but they have been reliable for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hm11esh

4/9/18
hope it doesn't have the bracelet issue like the MKF one. that would be a shame for the guys with a skinny wrist out there

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
I've got a gen white dial and this is a great effort from the PPF. The crown guard protudes too much for my liking compared to the PF. Wonder if the bracelet will be interchangeable......

rcom440

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/11/12
USA
Blue Dial very hard, best go with Gen Sample with Maker white , I remember saw side by side MK with Gen Blue by member Here ,big difference Dial reflection..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are 3 different versions of gen blue dial color.

Reactions: vcappp and tmp2018

d3xophen

Renowned Member
15/9/18
Have zf aquanut, calatrava, mkf 5396g and pf blue nautilus with custom DWO.
I was considering to stop buying a rep and now this white nautilus is really beautiful.
Thinking thinking thinkg.

tmp2018

Renowned Member
28/5/17
waiting for blue or black dial - i also really really love the rg 5711, but there are too less occasions to wear it, at least for me...and for a daily watch rg gets too much attention ;)

Os-92

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/11/18
Yeah I saw this. It looks good! Interested to see the dial - that's the real truth time. IF they nail the dial and lume color, we could have the nautilus we've been hoping for.

What do u think of the date window ? Is it the same as gen ?