• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My $0.02 on replica watch collecting

trevor2079

Renowned Member
2/5/07
I’ve been collecting replica watches for about two years now. I really appreciate the knowledgeable members of this board which have helped me make informed replica purchases. Thought I would share a few of my thoughts about our hobby, to see if most of you agree with me or not. Hopefully this will generate some useful discussion and some directions for our new members.

1) Buy the best replica you can afford. With few exceptions, you will not be happy with the less accurate rep if you know there is a “better†version out there. Those little differences which at first did not seem like a big deal will begin to eat away at you. Your new purchase will soon end up in the back of the watch box, never to be seen again. You will wish you had saved your $100-$150 and put it towards the $250-$300 version. The only exceptions to this rule are if you can save some dollars by purchasing an Asian movement instead of Swiss. Don’t expect that 21J to sweep as nicely as an ETA; however ETA “clones†aren’t distinguishable from their Swiss counterparts unless you crack the case. There is concern of long term reliability or replacement parts for Asian movements. My response; send it back to China and spend $20 on a new movement if something goes wrong.

2) Your high end Patek Philippe replica won’t fool anyone if you’re driving around a Ford Festiva, no matter how good the rep is. Nobody’s going to believe it’s the real deal if you can’t play the part. There are several replicas which remain priced within the realm of plausibility. A Planet Ocean or a Steelfish are at a very reasonable price point, an Audemars Piguet is not. That said, replica watches are about having fun and owning something which you may otherwise not be able to afford without selling your first born. Just make sure you don’t flaunt your $13K Pam if you can’t afford to pay your rent.

3) No faux chronos or movements which do not work like gen. There’s no bigger tell in my opinion. Automatic watches with quartz movements - shame on you. If you want a quartz replica, buy a replica of a watch which actually contains a quartz movement. B&R with fake screws on the back - looks like the replica factories have finally addressed this problem. There are simply too many good reps to be wasting your money on fantasy watches. I know some of you may disagree.

4) Don’t obsess about those minuscule flaws. We are ALL guilty of this. If I only had a dollar for every time I have heard, “the date font on the 2 isn’t quite right,†or the He valve needs to be moved ½ millimeter up, I wouldn’t have to buy replica watches. Rolex and Panerai fans are the worst offenders. I have you applaud you for your dedication to the “perfect replicaâ€, but as we all know, the best Sub is a real one.

5) When you can, do yourself a favor and check out the GEN. There are many members of replica boards who rave about how accurate a rep is, without ever laying hands on the real deal. There is only so much you can tell from a photo on a website. For example, I loved my SFSO before I checked out the Breitling boutique. The replica band is not up to par. The buckle has sharp edges, which do not exist on the gen. Looks right, just doesn’t feel right. I had to replace the band for a GEN band immediately. Same deal with my Cousteau. The rubber on the band doesn’t have the right feel to it. The bezel on the gen rotates as smooth as butter, while the replica does not. In both cases, we call these watches “super reps†yet they have significant flaws. Visually they are spot on, but you don’t notice the difference until you feel the real one. With that said, I do have many replicas which look and feel just like the gen; my favorites being the UPO, Aquaracer, BCE, Mont blanc and the Assioma.

6) Before you go out and buy a replica band, price out the GEN version first. In many cases, the real band may be reasonable. You will be much happier with the real one. No better way to mod your rep then to add a gen band. For example, the gen rubber band for my SFSO cost me $10 less than some our trusted dealers sell a replica band for. I have to laugh when I see people complain that they have purchased three rep bands for their UPO and still aren’t happy. You could have bought the real one and saved yourself a lot of time and possibly some cash. The same goes for replica watches in general. Quality replicas aren’t cheap, and in some cases the begin approach the price of the gen. You can buy a gen Steelfish or Baume & Mercier Riviera new for 2 grand, and somewhat less if you buy used. When you are spending close to $350 on a replica you begin to wonder if you shouldn’t just save up for the real deal.

7) I simply can’t understand why people by replicas with 7750 Swiss movements. Any replica with a Swiss 7750 is upwards of $800. There is something to be said for having a true Swiss movement, but in a replica? Your $800 can be better spent on a used gen. Worried about reliability? Buy two or three Asian versions!

8) Insanely expensive replicas – save your money. We have seen some replica models exceed $1000 for a watch with an Asian 7750?! Come on guys… There is no need for this. On the other hand, I am tired of hearing people complain on the cost of replicas. Replicas will be priced based on what the market will bear. If nobody buys Big Bangs at $1000 buck a pop, their price will come down. Somebody out there must be buying them. On the flip side, please show me any watch with a Swiss ETA which can be had for less than the price current replicas are going for. Buy your ETA reps while you still can!

9) Stop dissing the Asian 7750. There are many out there who worry or constantly comment on the reliability of the Asian 7750. The 28.8 beat rate 7750 is a good movement. I have had over a dozen 7750s and the only one which has caused me any problems is the old low beat 7750. (Those I would avoid the old version like a plague.)

10) Don’t fear customs. I can only speak for the US here, but I personally haven’t run into a single problem (knock on wood). Deal with one of the preferred dealers and they will make sure it gets to you, or in most cases they will send a new one free of charge.

11) Nobody’s going to call you out. First off, there are relatively few people out there who know anything whatsoever about watches. “A Rolex is real if the hand sweeps…†The few who do know a thing or two about watches probably don’t know that high quality replicas exist, especially of non-mainstream watch brands. The few remaining won’t be able to tell without a close inspection of the watch. Unless you’re wearing a canal street knock off, you’re probably safe. Goes without saying that you shouldn’t be wearing your rep to the AD. If anyone will be able to tell, it would be them. I personally like the fact that high end replica collecting still remains a relatively obscure hobby. No reason to bring additional attention to it.

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
WOW! There are going to be folks that do not agree with you on probably every point, but I have to say I can not find a single point in your post that I do not agree with. Very good post. I was totally shocked that it seemed as if you read my mind.

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
If he read your mind, Brtelec, you're really thinking a lot. Man, that post was longer than Steven King's "The Stand". :) I only joke as most of my posts are the informative, "it looks nice to me". Nice article.

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
I agree on every point there. Especially if yoy drive a festiva and sport a real exspen$ive watch.

AMEN to ALL you said. this should br required reading for Noobs getting into the "matrix".

johng

Renowned Member
16/4/08
I am discovering that I am less anal then I thought I would be. I bought a "low end PAM" from a member on RG. It cost $50 - I have been told it has a bunch of issues (by other members). One even said "he would be embarrassed to wear it." Though I will never wear it in Madrid I will wear it all the time here in my small small town. Half the people here don't know what a Rolex is (no joke). So I have a cheap beater and later I will step up - but this one will always be a beater - because WHO CARES if I bust it.

Exploder

I'm Pretty Popular
23/3/08
Hi there! I’m one of those, probably very few in this forum, who disagree on several points. That does, however, not mean that you are wrong and I am right, it just means that we have different interests and different goals with this hobby. I have been buying reps on and off for about 20 years. More off than on really. Can’t exactly say I have been collecting. More like buying-wearing-losing without too much thinking and afterthoughts. The most expensive replica I ever bought was probably the first one, a Rolex Day-Date which I think I paid about $100 for, but that was 20 years ago. Never paid more than $100 for any rep since then. My daily beater is an Explorer II with a black dial, which apart from the wrong handstack, is fucking amazingly close to the gen, at least on the outside. (I have a friend who has the gen.) I paid 1,500 Baht (roughly $50) for it in Thailand, and if it dies on me tomorrow, or gets stolen, or it falls smashing onto the stone floor, or if my son drops it into the loo it is no sweat for me, because it only cost me 50 bucks.

It is easy for a newbie to fall into the pit and buy reps for $300, or even an $800 Hublot, believeing that they are so much closer to the gen than the $100 reps, and then realize that there is no useful guarantee whatsoever, your home insurance does not cover a stolen/smashed watch and they loose interest in a hobby that just turns out to be very expensive. We have all read the posts by newbies sweating over their $450 watches risking being taken at the customs, or rotors falling out of the case when they open them because they are dead on arrival. â€This is a nightmare†as somebody recently wrote here. One of the more experienced members of this forum just received a $300 watch with more wrongs than rights. If you have the money, and are aware of the risks you are taking, fine, go ahead, but that is simply just not for me. I really think that paying $300 and more for a fake watch is too much a risk and I could never justify such a lottery. To be honest this is not a money issue, I’ve got the money, but the risk that it turns out to be bad business is too high for me. I have other hobbies that are more important to me, that cost more, but are also safer and give more in return both financially and mentally. And always remember, no matter how much money you spend, there is always a better version out there! If not a replica, there is the genuine stuff!

I will try to stick to my $100 upper limit even though reading this forum makes it hard. You post a lot of pictures of good looking watches that are over my budget. :wink: But I will try to defend the low-budget reps!

All the best, Xplodr

trevor2079

Renowned Member
2/5/07
@exploder: The way I got started with replicas was a trip to Thailand as well. I was simply amazed by all these great knock-off Rolexes, Omegas and the like. Came home with at least ten different watches. I was simply estatic with my new LV sub. "looked just like the real thing!" Anyways I started to do some research on replicas and that's when I found this site. My LV sub just didn't quite look as good as the ones I was seeing on this site. My first purchase was a sub from Andrew where I realized just how poor my Thailand purchases were. I'm still confident I would love them if I hadn't had this site to compare against. I do have one PAM from the original lot which I still wear. It's a GMT PAM (21J movement) with a stainless band. It still gets some wrist time but the other 9 have long been sold... To each his own. I will check on you in a year. If you continue to read this site regularly, I'm sure you'll spring for one or two more pricey reps. I have to give WBK credit though for some good quality reps at resonable prices.

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
Well I do agree on your price point of the $100.00 rep (the noobmariner is a great example) I would make the connection of why get a $125.00 watch as opposed to a $300 watch that functions as it should.

My example is that I have a desire for an IWC 3717 and now find there is a $128.00 21 j faux chrono version or a A7750 working chrono version.

Answer is simple. Faux chrono's are not true to form and there for not for me. Maybe other's standards are lower but for me.... it's a simple choice. In the case of a BK mariner to a Noobmariner.... I would take the middle of the road and get one with an ETA but save all the bells and whistled to what i can do myself. Once again depends on your ability and comfort zone on what you will wear.

It's an individual choice and there is no wrong. I just think I have the same feelings as the original post.

horologie_unitas

3/12/06
i disagree not to worry about customs....

they come to your house, take all your rep collection away !

( so it happend to TWP ) the watchPrince.

good article....agree 98% !!

trevor2079

Renowned Member
2/5/07
horologie_unitas said:

Customs risk for sellers. Not buyers. Nothing illegal about OWNING reps, just selling them.

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
horologie_unitas said:

Who KNOWS what really happened there...???
TWP had LOTS of problems...And credibility was ONE of them!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

brtelec

Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
Keep in mind none of his statements are right or wrong. Just right for him, well, and me. The last thing I worry about is customs. They get it, they get it. Now I do agree H-U, just like TWP, I would hate to have imaginary customs agents come to my house and take all my watches! :D

Matt Watch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/7/07
Lot's of work put into that.

We are all thinking these things at one time or another. The Customs item sticks out for me because I have had watches held for safe keeping and a letter sent to me about another recent shipment. I went silent for about six weeks after this thinking that this would be leaked out in my local media which happened the same week as another large customs item went down here - pariond maybe, but on a small island where customs is king it gives you something to think about. This may be mostly brought on by me for buying more that 3 or 4 watches at a time and having them sent at the same time. Most of the watches come inside toys packed as if they where drugs. Writing repair on the package and sending no more than two at a time is best for me now and my geographic location.

Good logical advise on wearing what you can pull off. I guess the few of us older, luxury home & car driving, multiple business owners can pick and choose what we want to wear.

I'm always entertained by the comments on the very-very detail things the experts pick up. I guess I'm just so happy to see and item that works for me that those details don't always make it a no go on a purchase. Being called out is rare but being asked to show your watch to someone is quite common here in my community where the large group we socialize with all where luxury items including watches.

Great post.

Thank you!

Matt

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
:D

damn if i can find anything to say

after that!

some body said some ting bout

reader of minds

yup!

k

Life is Good!

:D

crick

1/8/06
Insanely expensive replicas – save your money. We have seen some replica models exceed $1000 for a watch with an Asian 7750?! Come on guys… There is no need for this. On the other hand, I am tired of hearing people complain on the cost of replicas. Replicas will be priced based on what the market will bear. If nobody buys Big Bangs at $1000 buck a pop, their price will come down. Somebody out there must be buying them. On the flip side, please show me any watch with a Swiss ETA which can be had for less than the price current replicas are going for. Buy your ETA reps while you still can!

i strongly agree with that one.

unless it's some crazy franken rep with a gen movement in it... where the movement alone IS above 1000 bux.

But at this point, it's still a rep, for lots of $$$$ :evil:

LegendofSpeed

4/5/06
great post... i wrote one that was basically the same about 2 years ago...

it's really important, if you're new, to plot out what you want.... or else you may end up with a lot of bad choices... i've spent a lot of money on mistakes...

jkwhyd

30/5/07
Great post and I agree with just about every point.

I have learned that at about the $400 - 500 price point you can pick up a gen Hamilton or an Accutron with a real 7750 movement. Those are really well made watches and the QC is way way ahead of any reps.

Reps are for fun although some reps in recent years are getting so real that they look identical to the gens. Even in those cases the QC is lacking. Unless the QC improves drastically in the rep world I would not pay more than $400 for a rep.

jk

Alpha Dog Omega

Renowned Member
10/3/08
Hey, if that was your .02, I'll give ya a penny for your thoughts...

(sorry I couldn't resist saying that, I'm long in the jaw too :mrgreen: )

Anyhow, I agree with all but one point. That of Quartz-izing an auto.

I have a v.2BCE that I'm about to have switched to Quartz. Why on earth?... well, it's like this:

1. My watch winder is full, but I want to have my BCE available whenever. A Quartz is always ready to go.
2. The BCE is chrono - so the seconds hand just sits there ... so, visually it won't be "quartzed"
3. It will be more accurate and less prone to break down.
4. It will be cheaper to own in the long run.
5. It's an interesting mod on a great looking watch - and the fun - the modding (or in my case getting it modded) and liking the end product is a good part of rep collecting in the first place (at least for me).

Yes, I know there's the beauty of the movement (which I never see because I don't open up my watches unless they're broken and it doesn't have a display back)... and the nice tick-tick-tick sound (but I rarely place my watch beside my head to listen to this so I won't be missing that)... Besides I have other reps that go tick and have beautiful movements...

So, I think it can be both fun and even good to Quartz an Auto if ones needs lead them there...

These are my word-bloated .02 worth.

Thanks for your original post :lol: