• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Master Ultrathin Moon

Omagad

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/16
Super Reps Temple
I'm still waiting to receive it, but looking at the images is definetely NWBIG and actually to me (since I don't notice any huge differences in sunburst or 3d moon effect or numbers size or subdial size), also a super rep. I will tell you more when I receive mine.

Omagad in his super reps thread erroneously classified it in a bad way, I hope he changes his mind.

How could it be in a bad way if it's in the "waiting for feedback" category? lmao.

Reactions: Mr.Paneristi

timnic54

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/2/16
Thailand
How could it be in a bad way if it's in the "waiting for feedback" category? lmao.

Here is my feedback FWIW after about a month with the watch.

Case is absolutely perfect and very well finished. The black dial is excellent and nigh on impossible to distinguish from gen. Exactly the right subtle sunburst. On mine the markers are perfect, I have heard of some off markers, but this is a QC issue. The 9015 rotor is slightly noisy, but not intrusive. The moonphase works exactly as gen and adjusts smoothly as does the date . The date hand settles on the second of two digits as per gen. ZF have worked very hard to get this right and have truly nailed it. I can't speak of the silver dial, nor the RG model. I would say the watch is 100% NWBIG as I cannot see the benefit of a gen against this rep. I would say it is not a Super Rep for one reason alone . That is the movement viewed through the back is clearly not a JLC movement, there are features which are an instant tell if you know the JLC movement at all.
It is truly both an excellent watch and an excellent NWBIG Rep IMO. It has a great well proven movement with an added Moonphase module, which in itself is not so complex as to alter the potential reliability of the 9015, which is very high. It is also a common monphase system which most watch smiths will be familiar with.
As with all Reps the Strap needs to go straight in the bin.
The feel of the watch is very Gen like. I have owned more than 10 JLC watches. Blind fold you will not feel the difference. Eagle eyed JLC owners would have to rely on the movement to call this out.

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
sqv3Vgf.jpg

Just the light I guess.

I mean that the markers are point to each other and not straight?

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Case is absolutely perfect and very well finished. The black dial is excellent and nigh on impossible to distinguish from gen. Exactly the right subtle sunburst. On mine the markers are perfect, I have heard of some off markers, but this is a QC issue. The 9015 rotor is slightly noisy, but not intrusive. The moonphase works exactly as gen and adjusts smoothly as does the date . The date hand settles on the second of two digits as per gen. ZF have worked very hard to get this right and have truly nailed it. I can't speak of the silver dial, nor the RG model. I would say the watch is 100% NWBIG as I cannot see the benefit of a gen against this rep. I would say it is not a Super Rep for one reason alone . That is the movement viewed through the back is clearly not a JLC movement, there are features which are an instant tell if you know the JLC movement at all.
It is truly both an excellent watch and an excellent NWBIG Rep IMO. It has a great well proven movement with an added Moonphase module, which in itself is not so complex as to alter the potential reliability of the 9015, which is very high. It is also a common monphase system which most watch smiths will be familiar with.
The feel of the watch is very Gen like. I have owned more than 10 JLC watches. Blind fold you will not feel the difference. Eagle eyed JLC owners would have to rely on the movement to call this out.

Thanks timnic, I was planning to score one of these eventually. You've moved it up on my wishlist. Do you have any recommendations for a strap?

Naimnaci

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/6/18
my silver quartz just arrived, very beautiful, I can not upload pictures

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
Thanks timnic, I was planning to score one of these eventually. You've moved it up on my wishlist. Do you have any recommendations for a strap?

The lug width is 21mm and 18mm at the deployant. Not the most common size , but there are plenty about. To look the most Gen like you will need a quality genuine Alligator strap, colour depending on your dial choice. Mine is on a Blue Italian Alligator strap and looks great. The Gen straps are made by Camille Fournet. You can order direct from them. A gen strap will be curved at the lugs and use curved spring bars. Look at Camill Fournet, ABP, Rios . There are hundreds of great straps to suit this watch.

43142126202_ba51439eda_b.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
anyone consider to order the rose gold? don’t you worry about the fact that it is not solid gold like gen?

so the rep’s plated gold surface will eventually comes off, after wearing due to its surfaces will be exposed to human skin sweat.

No worries for practical use perspective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any gold plating is going to wear off or discolor eventually. Plus you can't polish out scratches like you can with SS. Some people feel it won't happen soon enough to matter.

Reactions: vcappp and timnic54

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The lug width is 21mm and 18mm at the deployant. Not the most common size , but there are plenty about. To look the most Gen like you will need a quality genuine Alligator strap, colour depending on your dial choice. Mine is on a Blue Italian Alligator strap and looks great. The Gen straps are made by Camille Fournet. You can order direct from them. A gen strap will be curved at the lugs and use curved spring bars. Look at Camill Fournet, ABP, Rios . There are hundreds of great straps to suit this watch.

Awesome thanks bro. That combo is killer, the pic could be in a magazine.

Last edited:

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
anyone consider to order the rose gold? don’t you worry about the fact that it is not solid gold like gen?

so the rep’s plated gold surface will eventually comes off, after wearing due to its surfaces will be exposed to human skin sweat.

No worries for practical use perspective?

I never buy anything in gold plate IMHO it ruins a great rep. The gold will eventually wear off , particularly at the edges. It will be far too light and feel very un gen like, a crime, frankly in a watch which has been so almost perfectly replicated in SS.

Limztf

13/10/12

That picture alone is worth a million bucks! That strap really goes well!

Omagad

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/16
Super Reps Temple

Thanks man! That's what I thought.
Awesome feedback. Definitely moving it to First Class NWBIG. :)

Reactions: RobSe1 and timnic54

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia

Is your aftermarket strap on the rep deployant? Unfortunate cf don’t ship crocodile leather to Australia any more

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
i guess the viet guys can easily and economically save the day for the strap

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
i guess the viet guys can easily and economically save the day for the strap

Possibly.

Most of the Viet straps I have bought have either fallen apart, or the colours faded within a couple of months. So I have stopped buying any of them.

Reactions: KJ2020

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Possibly.

Most of the Viet straps I have bought have either fallen apart, or the colours faded within a couple of months. So I have stopped buying any of them.

touch wood

I was suggesting to Nivka since he can't apparently get CF down under

Reactions: Nivka

Gooch15

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/4/18
Comment from a user on r/reptime :

Sorry guys. I'll take the heat for pointing out some tells. JLC reps are easy to spot, and this one has several. See the last two pics in the imgur, and focus on the moon subdial, hands, printing, and markers. OK, here we go:

* Blue seconds hand has stains, which is impossible on this model unless it took a dunk in the ocean. It seems it's a poor paint, which means poor paint jobs will continue to flake and oxidize.
* Printing on "AUTOMATIQUE" should be flat, straight, and sit above the guilloche.
* Printing of days of the month (1, 2, 3... 30, 31) are (sorry fam!) bad. Several numbers bleed over the edge like Dali's Persistence of Memory. Spacing between the dates and dots is inconsistent - sometimes a bit left (see right of the 13), other times centered (between 23 and 12), but they mostly skew left.
* Man. This one cannot be unseen. Check out the minute markers, especially the 7 marker. It's dirty either from oxidizing or just dirt. It, along with several others, are 'lifting' from the dial - they should be flat and have an absolute mirror finish.
* "SWISS" is incorrect font and the ink bled a bit making the letters blobby. "D" in MADE is too fat.
* Took a quick look at the movement. The balance cock (the arm that holds the balance wheel) is just wrong. See gen, about half way down: [http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/us/...es/master/master-ultra-thin-moon/1368420.html). You'll see the balance cock has a cut out for a blued screw, and two small pin holes, which hold down the arm to a plate. This is not present. Owners will spot this immediately imo.

**Anyway... I think we need to let the factories know these things. They actually listen to their buyers, and can make adjustments. It's a fun hobby. But, the finishing on this one needs work.**

Reactions: stoyania

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
Comment from a user on r/reptime :

Sorry guys. I'll take the heat for pointing out some tells. JLC reps are easy to spot, and this one has several. See the last two pics in the imgur, and focus on the moon subdial, hands, printing, and markers. OK, here we go:

* Blue seconds hand has stains, which is impossible on this model unless it took a dunk in the ocean. It seems it's a poor paint, which means poor paint jobs will continue to flake and oxidize.
* Printing on "AUTOMATIQUE" should be flat, straight, and sit above the guilloche.
* Printing of days of the month (1, 2, 3... 30, 31) are (sorry fam!) bad. Several numbers bleed over the edge like Dali's Persistence of Memory. Spacing between the dates and dots is inconsistent - sometimes a bit left (see right of the 13), other times centered (between 23 and 12), but they mostly skew left.
* Man. This one cannot be unseen. Check out the minute markers, especially the 7 marker. It's dirty either from oxidizing or just dirt. It, along with several others, are 'lifting' from the dial - they should be flat and have an absolute mirror finish.
* "SWISS" is incorrect font and the ink bled a bit making the letters blobby. "D" in MADE is too fat.
* Took a quick look at the movement. The balance cock (the arm that holds the balance wheel) is just wrong. See gen, about half way down: [http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/us/...es/master/master-ultra-thin-moon/1368420.html). You'll see the balance cock has a cut out for a blued screw, and two small pin holes, which hold down the arm to a plate. This is not present. Owners will spot this immediately imo.

**Anyway... I think we need to let the factories know these things. They actually listen to their buyers, and can make adjustments. It's a fun hobby. But, the finishing on this one needs work.**

Another set of comments from someone who has never had the watch in his hand and has never been within 1000 mile of a GEN.
As useful as a pair of balls on a snooker cue.