• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[OFFICIAL] RWI Tourbillon Club

theflyingdutchman

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06
It makes me so happy this thread is still alive! Gotta love tourbys.

HELL YEAH... please no more PAM, AP, HBB.... threads... please do not get me wrong, but a 5000€ PAM!!! is some what boring, nice, but boring... but this just me speaking! Damn I so much want a VC Malte 14 days white or gray dial, but they all have the VC tourby poor aligned secounds hand!

Last edited:

okcomputer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/4/18
I had 2 broken ones = DOA, before I got one that worked... that then also broke after a week, in the end I gave up and got my money back. Its a nice watch, but it SO light!

Wow that sucks, which models gave you all that trouble, bregeut reps? It's good you got your money back though.

PeteB

Known Member
11/1/16
3 excellent specimens of tourbillons @12, @6 and @9. Or, as I like to call it, a Trifecta.

a119417bcda641926b8b321d2ffd4241.jpg

Here’s to more positions (perhaps the @4-5 Cartier?) in the new year.

Hyjynx - how are you finding the emerald green (Middle East LTD edition) IWC? Is that the hand wound version?

I am getting close to ordering one, but would appreciate your thoughts on how it sits on the hand, and the overall esthetics of the emerald dial and the gold highlights on the ss case. I assume you had no technical issues with it?

Hyjynx

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/13
Hyjynx - how are you finding the emerald green (Middle East LTD edition) IWC? Is that the hand wound version?

I am getting close to ordering one, but would appreciate your thoughts on how it sits on the hand, and the overall esthetics of the emerald dial and the gold highlights on the ss case. I assume you had no technical issues with it?

Yes, it’s the version without a rotor. If there’s any rep IWC tourbillon that can be regarded as a closest to gen, the emerald green ME LE gets my vote without hesitation. With as little as changing the rep strap, you have a watch you can wear with total confidence. Only 25 gens were ever made. No issues with mine so far.

Gen for comparison:
32c0a40c1b445efab48f4c0366b95b72.jpg

By the way, thanks for reminding me I still have one more challenge: An @3 o’clock tourbillon. ;)

Reactions: Luxuracer

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
Ah well, my first step on the 'slippery road' of Tourby ownership - my first...... Lord help my wallet for the future now I am a member, all bar a junior though.

Arrived this morning and I just cannot take my eyes off it - it's really mesmerising. Came from our very own special person yllekp - he knew I was 'hankering' after this beauty and I was lucky enough to buy it from him.

PtStDGp.jpg

I am truly in love with it.

triker.

Damn I love this ALS 1815 tourby.
i alredy contacted toro for the price. I’m not sure if I should go for SS or RG.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Damn I love this ALS 1815 tourby.
i alredy contacted toro for the price. I’m not sure if I should go for SS or RG.

I can tell you the RG is stunning. I feel the SS is understood for what it is. It has a lot of deco and faux jewels compared to someting like the AP but it is a true beauty.

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
I can tell you the RG is stunning. I feel the SS is understood for what it is. It has a lot of deco and faux jewels compared to someting like the AP but it is a true beauty.

Yeah I read in other posts that you loved that watch.
too bad it doesn’t have second hand on the tourby.
if I get hooked up on tourby I think IWC Portuguese with green dial may be next.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Yeah I read in other posts that you loved that watch.
too bad it doesn’t have second hand on the tourby.
if I get hooked up on tourby I think IWC Portuguese with green dial may be next.

I saw Hyjynx one and it truly was stunning.

Reactions: Hyjynx

Hyjynx

28/9/13
Someone has been shoppitng! Nice piece but its an rm not an fm? And no tourby!

Well, apparently this RM does have a tourbillon. It’s just so hard to tell from the overly busy contraption.
155239b50103e8fcbb7706022c52d62e.jpg

So what’s the point?

By the way, nice pickup bkg! Still test driving or purchased?

bkg!

Manui Dat Cognitio Vires
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
17/8/13
Somewhere in your peripheral vision
Well, apparently this RM does have a tourbillon. It’s just so hard to tell from the overly busy contraption.

By the way, nice pickup bkg! Still test driving or purchased?

Indeed, these do have a tourbillon. TBH, as nice as it was, I hated the strap. The Lotus edition was much nicer (see below - also a tourby), but I could not justify the money they ask, even if I had that kind of liquid. These are a pair of over priced watches. In general RM all are. Take for instance the RM035-01. Yes, it is a beautiful piece, but the price tag is ridiculous when, for instance, Roger Dubuis have a quattro escapement for less than half the retail of the Nadal. It's ludicrous

xYf2RIf.jpg

Reactions: Hyjynx

Hyjynx

28/9/13
Those RMs are a tough act to follow but a nice segue to a question I’m sure many of you fellow tourbillon lovers have often pondered: “Why aren’t there any tourbillon @ 3 o’clock watches, gen or even fantasy reps?” Well, the simple answer is that’s the traditional position of the crown and winding mechanisms of most watches. Still, one would think it’s shouldn’t be hard to move the crown to a destro or bullhead position to make space for a tourbillon. However and for some inexplicable reason(s) none of the big watchmakers have hit upon the idea yet.

Recently, I got a PM from a new member complimenting my tourbillon collection and also suggesting that I take a look at Memorigin - a tourbillon watchmaker based in Hong Kong. I did, and what I discovered was totally mind blowing. This new kid on the block does make really nice tourbillons @ 3 o’clock watches! And at a price that’s relatively affordable too.

Of course, I just had to get me one! I think it’s only honorable and fitting that I share the first picture of my latest acquisition with my fellow tourbillon club members:
df6ab94d7d30a3b13443c8c774fe9a49.jpg

Please excuse the poor lighting. I’ll try to do a better pictorial in a few days. Meanwhile, this video shows it much better:

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Those RMs are a tough act to follow but a nice segue to a question I’m sure many of you fellow tourbillon lovers have often pondered: “Why aren’t there any tourbillon @ 3 o’clock watches, gen or even fantasy reps?” Well, the simple answer is that’s the traditional position of the crown and winding mechanisms of most watches. Still, one would think it’s shouldn’t be hard to move the crown to a destro or bullhead position to make space for a tourbillon. However and for some inexplicable reason(s) none of the big watchmakers have hit upon the idea yet.

Recently, I got a PM from a new member complimenting my tourbillon collection and also suggesting that I take a look at Memorigin - a tourbillon watchmaker based in Hong Kong. I did, and what I discovered was totally mind blowing. This new kid on the block does make really nice tourbillons @ 3 o’clock watches! And at a price that’s relatively affordable too.

Of course, I just had to get me one! I think it’s only honorable and fitting that I share the first picture of my latest acquisition with my fellow tourbillon club members:
df6ab94d7d30a3b13443c8c774fe9a49.jpg

Please excuse the poor lighting. I’ll try to do a better pictorial in a few days. Meanwhile, this video shows it much better:

Beautiful piece man great find! Don’t think I’ve ever seen a gmt tourby before. What does the sub dial at 12 do? Looks interesting!

Hyjynx

28/9/13
Beautiful piece man great find! Don’t think I’ve ever seen a gmt tourby before. What does the sub dial at 12 do? Looks interesting!
Thanks. That’s a representation of an ancient Chinese planetarium (hence “Wisdom of the East”). It consists of half rings and a weighted disc that sways back and forth when you move the watch. It’s not connected to the movement inside the watch. So other than aesthetics, serves no horological purpose that I can discern. It does look interesting and is a good conversation starter (as we’ve both proved!).

GMT on tourbillon isn’t unusual. My Akribos tourbillon (picture shared in an earlier post) has a GMT function. Using a hemisphere to denote the hours on the Memorigin is quite a stroke of genius.