• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Big price jump on reps?

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
316L said:
you will get after 2010 the "whole" movement, no problem.
In Switzerland, sure. If they want to sell to you.

Weko is the Swiss Competition Commission. I don't see what they have to do with anyone outside of Switzerland.

Weko has nothing to do with whether or not Chinese counterfeiters can get hold of ETA parts.

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
In keeping with my signiture refrain... Think how little the watch maker in China makes. The dealer gets all the profit.

D

d4m.test

bigbadbrad is right, buy your reps now, RMB (Chinese dollars) has nowhere to go but up thanks to the US for a large part who keeps pressuring China to revaluate RMB higher. Swiss movements' rising prices are not helping either.

-bk

D

d4m.test

pugwash said:
316L said:
you will get after 2010 the "whole" movement, no problem.
In Switzerland, sure. If they want to sell to you.

Weko is the Swiss Competition Commission. I don't see what they have to do with anyone outside of Switzerland.

no, not only in switzerland.
of course worldwide/global.

they aren't talk about the "whole" movements,
they are talk about the
raw movements (ébauches) = piece parts / assembly / construction set / building kit
you need it to ennoble a peace or some pieces of a movement.

do you know the different?
don't send around the bend, don't make the people craze,
don't telling intrigues, jesus christ. :lol:

Swatch Group: Die Unternehmung produziert an 15 Standorten in der
Schweiz, Deutschland, Frankreich, Thailand, Malaysia und China.

http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:0b ... lr=lang_de

http://de.experience-online.ch/cases/ex ... a_grenchen

pugwash said:
Weko has nothing to do with whether or not Chinese counterfeiters can get hold of ETA parts.

right. and...? =no problem.

you build a company maybe a "limited"
(any guy in germany can get a (gewerbeschein)=trade certificate?, or for freelancer you will pay in advance)
in switzerland, germany, france, thailand, malaysia or china,
you get the "whole" movements,
it doesn't matter if they are from switzerland, germany, france, thailand, malaysia or from china.

and you sell it whoever you want. simple, very simple. :shock:

political economy my friend political economy :idea:

are you a man of business?
maybe with the international knowledge of sales management? I AM :wink:

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
316L said:
are you a man of business?
maybe with the international knowledge of sales management? I AM :wink:
Then maybe you should ask your peers why ETA would want to sell complete movements to anyone outside the Swatch group.

I think somehow you're completely and utterly missing the point.

ETA is owned by Swatch.
Swatch makes watches.
Swatch doesn't like competition.
Swatch tells their competition they're going to stop helping them.
Their competition drags them in front of Weko.
Swatch get forced to help their competition until someone else can take over.
Swatch stop selling outside the Swatch group.
Swatch wins.

Why should Swatch sell complete movements to any company outside of Switzerland? Money?

Ok, let's look at it another way. ETA makes a movement and fits it in an Omega. They turn that movement into an item with huge mark-up in a saturated market. If Omega had less competition using ETA movements, they sell more watches.

Watch sales are more valuable than movement sales.

D

d4m.test

enough enough enough :lol:
i'm looking for an echo. :(
who will tell him again and again and again to understand the situation? :D

the only point is !absolute monopoly prohibition! :idea:
:arrow: even for eta

have a nice time
:wink:

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
316L said:

have a nice time
Good luck finding someone to agree with you. I think you fundamentally fail to grasp Swatch's role in the marketplace. :D

D

d4m.test

pugwash said:
316L said:

have a nice time
Good luck finding someone to agree with you. I think you fundamentally fail to grasp Swatch's role in the marketplace. :D

ultimately only for you.
i will make it easy.

talk with eta, (i have some information about this theme) you will get the some information if you have a company
about prices, quantities, delivery times, all what you want :D

if you need a call number with a contact person? pm me :wink:

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
316L said:
talk with eta, (i have some information about this theme) you will get the some information if you have a company
In that case, call them up and tell them you want 100 ETA 2836 movements and ask them for a price.

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
er I thought omega was part of swatch group

also omega quartz are ETA jeweled movements

plus I know a guy who has an automatic ETA omega and it wants to stop running after 4 years, I bet you a quartz would last at least 20 without service.

D

d4m.test

pugwash said:
316L said:
In that case, call them up and tell them you want 100 ETA 2836 movements and ask them for a price.

100-999 pieces you will pay an addition.

no way :lol:
i don't work for you :D

take it or leave it! :wink:

well...
that much is clear, you are absolute unversed in business.
and have no conception of the eta company.

but you are a very good watch mod. :wink:

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
amptor said:
er I thought omega was part of swatch group

also omega quartz are ETA jeweled movements

plus I know a guy who has an automatic ETA omega and it wants to stop running after 4 years, I bet you a quartz would last at least 20 without service.

You are correct on all counts though even quartz watches require a new battery every few years and they too require service occasionally to keep them waterproof and properly timed!

If you get water in them or just beat the crap out of them they are both likely to fail in only a few years.

Buying a mechanical watch is like buying a classic car, they often require a little more attention, they are not quite as reliable but they are a lot more fun than a toyota camery, or a timex.

There are other issues with Swatch group besides just shutting off the supply of movements that is just plain silly, Swatch is just as interested in profit as anyone and they won't leave too big of a hole for competition in the market if they can help it!

It's my understanding that there are some patients due to expire on some of the technology in the 28xx and valjoux movements so it makes since that they would be interested in trimming off the production and designing a new series of movements (Valgranges) though they do continue to develop the 28xx series and Valjoux movements so they don't appear to have plans to discontinue either of them anytime soon.

There will be an ample supply of 28xx movements available into the future made by other Swiss companies like Sellita and lower grade movements from Asia. In both cases they simply won't have the ETA hallmark.

No matter how much fun the debate is the sky is just not falling, it's just rocking back and forth a bit!

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
I read an article recently about how the major watch manufacturers had become so reliant on the Swatch group's automatic chronographs, specifically the 7750. Swatch's announcement that the would be limiting their distribution of this movement has left all the big boys scrambling to produce their own "in-house" chrono movements. This can only spell disaster for the rep business, as the 7750 is our ONLY chrono option. The glory days are coming too an end, and not just because of pricing.

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
andreww

the 7750 that is in "our" reps is already a china counterfeit movement so no worries there.

None of this is actually new news, this has been planned for almost 10 years now and nobody was supprised by it though they may wish Swatch Group would would just continue with the status quo Oris and Breitling are already useing Sellita movements and anyone else who wants more than ETA will supply will be knocking at Sellitas door. I would expect to see someone like Sellita manufacturing the 775x movements in the near future too.

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
@OldeCrow - Obviously I am aware of the asian 7750. What I am saying is that companies like IWC, Hublot and others have decided to break their dependance on the Swatch group, and are working on their own movements. Obviously these engines will be radically different from the 7750, so they will likely be unrepable in the future. Right now the rep industry thrives because of the Swiss watchmakers reliance on the 7750. IMO, this wont be the case for too much longer.

uspopo

Known Member
26/6/07
As far as the 7750s go, we are in a predicament if the gen manufacturers go with a radical in house design but only the future will tell. As far as ETA/Swatch group is concerned, they can go screw themselves. Companies like Oris and Anonimo are already using the SW200 movment in their watches. If the Sellita movements can swapped in place of an aging ETA with minimal or no mods, then more power to them. As Asian movement manufacturers continue to develop and improve their products ie ETA cloned movements, this hobby will continue to thrive and florish. If my TW Best SD ETA should die today, I am sure there will be a Sellita offering in the near future. These price increases don't scare me into buying more reps, I will just hold on to my money. If the prices get out of hand like with the HBB, the rep manufacturers can go screw themselves too. 800 fuckin dollars for Chinese made watch. You have got to be kidding me...

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
@andreww

I got it :wink:

As for smaller companies like IWC and Hubolt IWC is owned by Richmont, it is likely that Richmont will develop or acquire a movement manufacturer to produce base calibers for all of its brands to use. Hubolt is still independently owned I think so they are stuck unless they partner with somebody else. This will price them so far out of range that replicas will be absurd anyway. (nobody would believe I am the shaw of Iran either)

mezzanine

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/10/06
I would caution against the idea of getting fixated on treating the ETA's as an endangered commodity.

Right now we've seen a run up in the prices of ETA's over the last few months. This is no different than what happens in the oil market, when people start to freak out about the notion that it's a non-renewable resource, etc...

Right now there's a panic mentality that is grabbing hold of people. There's a group buy on another board for ETA 7750's right now, and my sense is that it's the result of panic thinking. Are there going to be ETA movements available after 2010?

I don't know...probably not, if Swatch is saying they're going to cut supply. But these things have a way of working out. The void will be filled, and my guess is that those that have had a "Y2K-style" freak-out, trying to stock up on the movements, are going to discover that the problem wasn't what they believed it would be, once the big day hits...

higgy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
17/3/06
Since Josh and andrew now have public websites, the bulk of their sales are probably not to forum members. Price increase will probably not affect their overall sales, plus less knowledgable buyers are easier to please....JMO..... :wink:

Higgy 8)