• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Reps have gone a long way over last years

rjk1

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/13
the v7 really is one of the best reps you can own. It requires a Domi or Prof AR and after that it's nearly perfect. Sure, minor case angles are still off, but at that point you've got to rely on a lupe and protractor to spot them.

and the quality of asian clone eta movements increased dramatically over the years... my V7 diver keeps impeccable timing after month break in out of the box, better than any gen I own! Of course, it's a luck of the draw with these movements, but you might get fortunate :)

umaxim

13/6/15
Frankly the xtal on latest V7 is already so good that I decided to save Domi's 2AR for FC Diver... I held it side by side with a gen and the gen xtal is no AR or single AR - just very high grade xtal... so while "NO xtal" is visually stunning, wouldn't it be an immediate tell, that it is a rep... as I saw that gen crystal does reflect light, unlike Profs (and to less degree Domi's) 2AR xtal?

the v7 really is one of the best reps you can own. It requires a Domi or Prof AR and after that it's nearly perfect. Sure, minor case angles are still off, but at that point you've got to rely on a lupe and protractor to spot them.

rjk1

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/13
Frankly the xtal on latest V7 is already so good that I decided to save Domi's 2AR for FC Diver... I held it side by side with a gen and the gen xtal is no AR or single AR - just very high grade xtal... so while "NO xtal" is visually stunning, wouldn't it be an immediate tell, that it is a rep... as I saw that gen crystal does reflect light, unlike Profs (and to less degree Domi's) 2AR xtal?

I’ve got to say, after owning both with and without ar, there is simply no way to not put ar on the diver. Stock crystal is awful.

umaxim

13/6/15
awful is a bit of exaggeration, don't you think? if it was that awful, I'd change it already... as I said, I have domi/guru 2AR last run just laying there for now.
Also, there different batches of V7... you can get completely different quality - had 3 V7s from TD go through my hands and they all were different.

I’ve got to say, after owning both with and without ar, there is simply no way to not put ar on the diver. Stock crystal is awful.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
awful is a bit of exaggeration, don't you think? if it was that awful, I'd change it already... as I said, I have domi/guru 2AR last run just laying there for now.
Also, there different batches of V7... you can get completely different quality - had 3 V7s from TD go through my hands and they all were different.

Same for me. I've got two Domi xtals and both still in their wrappers.

speedy27

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/8/15
Speaking as a noob, I'm just flabbergasted at the quality available. My sub was compared with a friends and he couldn't tell it wasn't gen. It's just amazing to me.

rjk1

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/13
different preferences I guess, I wouldn’t bother with stock ar as proper ar always makes a significant difference to my eyes

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
IWC Ingenieur was also a big thing when it was released. Incorrect date font and no AR but that was not often to be found back then.

umaxim

13/6/15
No doubt - it does look so much better with 2AR in my eye as well... all I'm saying is that as much as it is an awesome thing, it's not making it closer to the gen...
However, it makes it a better and even more stunning watch to most members on here.

different preferences I guess, I wouldn’t bother with stock ar as proper ar always makes a significant difference to my eyes

rjk1

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/13
Yes that’s true, Rep crystals are quite low quality so it’s still arguably a better move to install double ar. The v7 diver really is one of the best reps you can own. Highly recommended for anyone - pass over the v8.

umaxim

13/6/15
+1

get v7 while you can! I take A2824-2 non-decorated over decorated 'MIYOTA' A3121 any day... and it looks like rep world is steadily moving from Swiss to Jap clones...

On xtal, everything is relative - fact is the V7 xtal is MUCH better than v6 or Noob, which was horrible... so while it's not as good as gen, it's better than 90% of high end reps do currently offer. Double AR is way cool, but let's give JF credit for a big improvement in xtal. Also even in V7 different watches get different grade xtals and cyclopes... I guess what they have at the time - they use...

Yes that’s true, Rep crystals are quite low quality so it’s still arguably a better move to install double ar. The v7 diver really is one of the best reps you can own. Highly recommended for anyone - pass over the v8.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK

I have both too and disagree.
The whole invisible crystal look isn't visually appealing to me. It also makes it easier to spot the plasticky hour markers (should be white gold).
I actually like the way light dances of the stock rep crystal (same as gen).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk