• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

J12 15400 - Edit: Now Available

asdfpenguin

8/9/14
It's both. The tolerance in the link is very fine, and the screws are roughly machined. It's "sticky" combination!!

Would it be too much to ask the TD before accepting QC to check if the bracelet screws are able to be removed easily? I placed my order last night and am awaiting QC pics but don't want one with chewed threads out the gate.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
Would it be too much to ask the TD before accepting QC to check if the bracelet screws are able to be removed easily? I placed my order last night and am awaiting QC pics but don't want one with chewed threads out the gate.

I wouldn't get too fussy on this. My silver dial had really badly chewed screws before we knew about this and it didn't occur to me to ask for extra pics. TD would have only made it worse if they tried fiddling with them and frankly I doubt they'd be willing to do that anyway. The blue version was much better and I did ask for extra pics but still the screws had burrs on them and were difficult to see properly under the plastic wrap. Don't forget all the time you reject a watch it just aggravates the TD's as its a lot of hassle for them.

Better solution is to ask for a photo of the screws and then at least you can try to see if they're really bad. Then once you get the watch don't even attempt to undo them until they've had at least a WD40 lube. Careful sanding with fine grit paper and a polish will restore them.

Retina

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
18/12/14
or you could try Lucy, she might go the extra mile

asdfpenguin

8/9/14
I wouldn't get too fussy on this. My silver dial had really badly chewed screws before we knew about this and it didn't occur to me to ask for extra pics. TD would have only made it worse if they tried fiddling with them and frankly I doubt they'd be willing to do that anyway. The blue version was much better and I did ask for extra pics but still the screws had burrs on them and were difficult to see properly under the plastic wrap. Don't forget all the time you reject a watch it just aggravates the TD's as its a lot of hassle for them.

Better solution is to ask for a photo of the screws and then at least you can try to see if they're really bad. Then once you get the watch don't even attempt to undo them until they've had at least a WD40 lube. Careful sanding with fine grit paper and a polish will restore them.

Thanks for the advice. I just emailed Toro and asked for a pic of the bracelet screws whenever he sends over the QC pics.

Edit: He just told me he normally sends QC pics 3 days after picking up payment. I don't remember ever having to wait that long before..

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
Yeah 3 or 4 days is the norm. I don't think the TD's actually have the watch. I have a feeling the factory takes the photos and does the shipping! TD just a middle man. Ever notice how Toro and Ryan's pics have the same order # label ? Only Ken seems to have a different order label.

rnrprof

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
24/3/14
United States
The screws in my jf 15400 were very smooth but I think some are great and some not so. That was the problem and still is with the TF maker

Farishmy

Renowned Member
29/10/14
cScAC_zpsh66tggzq.jpeg

Is the lady RO a fantasy model? I've done some quick research only found gen with a diamond bezel. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Got my JF 15400 today. Sorry, but it is not as comfortable as the TF. Wears heavier and more unbalanced although it is only 10.5mm (confirmed by me).
Alignment is not fully mastered yet in the JF. The numbers on the date wheel are not perfectly spaced. There are other small alignment issues in the hardware as well if you look carefully.
My bracelet screws I did not even touch until I ran the bracelet through some ultrasonic treatments: they unscrewed ok, but the tap is not perfect. Still very soft, deformable metal, so be careful and use the right head (1.2mm properly-sized screwdriver). It would be a shame to have a load of JF 15400s on the M2M with damaged bracelet screws.
Lume strips on markers are thinner than TF, and the bezel screws are better sized, no doubt.
I do not really like the tapisserie sizing, but the white dial is well done (black not as good, blue I do not know), and many will not really care about this, even if the dial does make this version kind of a fantasy 15400.
Crystal AR is very impressive, like many of the JF models. I am a 2XAR junky, but I do not feel glare interfering with my enjoyment of the watch and an immediate need to swap the crystal, like i did with TF.
CB engraving is very deep and crisp, and the deco plate is actually really well done, even though the whole idea of a deco plate (and not a full clone) is a little clownish.
In the end, I am happy to have both TF and JF versions. No need to really trade one for the other unless you want something the other one does not have. It is really an individual choice based on priorities.
Curious to see if the JF fatigues in daily use, as TF never led to fatigue, even on the SS bracelet. Like rnrprof said: If you have both, wear them for a full week before deciding which one to keep.

Phantomtech

I'm Pretty Popular
28/12/12
Thanks Slaughterer62 for your detailed comments, it was a big help.

The comment about the JF wearing heavier is concerning me. I had a feeling that was the case and that is why I held off on ordering it. Do you think it will wear better on a snug strap?

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
Frankly I'm going to wholeheartedly disagree with your review. Sintered steel is always soft and that's just how reps are. No rep I know of made from billet steel and the bracelet screws on the TF are very similar to JF except the TF screw holes are so oversized the gaps around the heads stick out like sore thumb. But for sure the JF screws are a mixed bunch. You might get lucky and you might not.

My TF was a pile of shit. Crown is crap, dial logo crap, hands crap, dial printing crap, bracelet links wrong shape, fit of bracelet against case tight and rubs, where do I stop. The only good thing about my TF was the caseback. As has been mentioned early batches of the TF were better (and yours obviously one of them) but their standards have slipped for sure.

My blue JF has perfect case alignment, the dial batons and logo perfectly aligned, the crown is bang on, etc etc etc.

My TF sits on my bench while I think what to do with it. I've been wearing my silver dial JF for a couple of weeks almost daily but now my blue doesn't leave my wrist. No way is it going to fatigue anytime soon. After an oil bath the bracelet is silky smooth and feels like a gen would feel. No brainer for me.

The only way to get a decent TF is M2M but even then you'd have to accept those oversized and poorly fitting bezel screws.

Just to add about the question of balance on the wrist - I don't get it? Mind you I have a 7.5" wrist so maybe that helps.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Thanks Slaughterer62 for your detailed comments, it was a big help.

The comment about the JF wearing heavier is concerning me. I had a feeling that was the case and that is why I held off on ordering it. Do you think it will wear better on a snug strap?

Yes, the snugger the fit, the better the wear, certainly.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
The "Swigs" is just camera illusion--do not worry about it. What is not illusion is the date being too high in the DW cut-out. :-(

MsCrw

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/9/15
Thanks to depp for the detailed pictures and everyone else contributing to this topic so far, really helpful
I'm thinking of getting this model since it just looks awesome, but some more explanations on the screws,links and bracelet would be fine (like what to do exactly when theyre not good, and how to remove the links easily) - because that is right now what keeps me from pulling the trigger