• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cartier Santos 100 XL Gen VS Rep (Pic intensive)

kampachi

Renowned Member
7/1/14
This shows that no matter how good u deem a rep is, when you place it beside a gen there will be a definite difference. Of course, the real rhing always cost 10x as much. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aflop

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/5/13
[MENTION=64642]aflop[/MENTION] I think the rep engravings look cleaner than the gen engravings lol

Lol there's just that difference in finish that I can't describe!

im having a hard time finding a nice one from the dealer's websites. can you share who you got yours from? Your watch looks awsome. thanks!

Just check with any TD via email! Make sure the engravings behind state 2656!

Hi

can i as is there any available ultimate reps in smaller sizes ?

Afraid not! Only the XL is the best to my knowledge

sunnydale

29/8/09
Got one of these from a forum member today and all I can say that the build quality is awesome! This is the same ultimate version. Would benefit from a genuine leather strap but let's see...they seem a bit pricy.

Fiveostang

6/11/12
Got one of these from a forum member today and all I can say that the build quality is awesome! This is the same ultimate version. Would benefit from a genuine leather strap but let's see...they seem a bit pricy.

Worth every bit. The gen leather is amazing.

If you see Kay

26/1/09
Can you do more comparisons between the crown guards, the dial, and the case?

Rotador

I'm Pretty Popular
28/9/14
Very good comparison. Thank you, Aflop. You deserve some rep points.
th_finger.gif

Here is mine:

20150409_181600%20800_zpsee6fpb1n.jpg

jes007

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/7/14
would the ultimate take a gen dial ? I kinda wish I didn't notice the flaw on the dial, now its an easy tell for me :(

I know they haven't made a new version for a while right ?

paulvillo

Renowned Member
6/6/13
Great write up and great pics, thanks!
The bad part is that now I want one...!! ;)

Stealthy

MULTI ACCOUNT
9/4/13
The first thing that I noticed from the Ultimate Santos 100 (I got it from Sead from 350+ IIRC) is how sharp the edge of the case & clasp was.

The rep strap is also one of the worst that I've seen, very plasticky.

I wonder whether you guys also experiencing this issue as well?

A sandpaper treatment & good quality real gator strap is a must for this.

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/15
would the ultimate take a gen dial ? I kinda wish I didn't notice the flaw on the dial, now its an easy tell for me :(

I know they haven't made a new version for a while right ?

What do you mean specifically?

I see all the horizontal "feet" of the roman numerals are thicker on the Rep vs the gen, specially noticeable where the "V" and "I" join to form the numeral "VI" and the same for numeral XII. On the gen these feet are thin and thus the unions are thin too. very telling if you know what to look for.

Also, overall the Rep numeral vertical strokes are thicker and thus the space between I, I and I forming the "III" roman numeral is smaller in the rep vs gen. Gen has more space between strokes in the II and III. You'd think I'm being anal but in reality its very noticeable and an easy way to tell between gen and fake ones for sale for example on eBay!

elchino

Renowned Member
9/11/14

I see all the horizontal "feet" of the roman numerals are thicker on the Rep vs the gen, specially noticeable where the "V" and "I" join to form the numeral "VI" and the same for numeral XII. On the gen these feet are thin and thus the unions are thin too. very telling if you know what to look for.

Also, overall the Rep numeral vertical strokes are thicker and thus the space between I, I and I forming the "III" roman numeral is smaller in the rep vs gen. Gen has more space between strokes in the II and III. You'd think I'm being anal but in reality its very noticeable and an easy way to tell between gen and fake ones for sale for example on eBay!

I agree that the gen version shown here has thinner numerals than the rep but there's a gen version with thicker numerals released in 2009 and this version is closer to this ultimate rep version.
Here are the pics of the gen version taken from chrono24 for reference:
d7dfd326b85a5bb3618a3089bd104173.jpg
19efa9a2169c85c1943bcb36042eee19.jpg

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/15
I agree that the gen version shown here has thinner numerals than the rep but there's a gen version with thicker numerals released in 2009 and this version is closer to this ultimate rep version.

Yeah you are right.. but look specifically at the union between the "X", "I" and "I" forming the "XII" numeral, the union is thin on the ten and thick on every rep of the "ultimate" version...

yvonne9

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
25/10/15
Nice...what TD

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

yvonne9

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
25/10/15
AD?? Authorized Dealer

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

aflop

22/5/13

d7dfd326b85a5bb3618a3089bd104173.jpg
19efa9a2169c85c1943bcb36042eee19.jpg

Yeah you are right.. but look specifically at the union between the "X", "I" and "I" forming the "XII" numeral, the union is thin on the ten and thick on every rep of the "ultimate" version...

I have to disclaim that the gen I compared with was dated 2005, but you can't speculate on the thickness based on photos without a rep next to it! A lot could change, lighting, angle etc!