• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AliExpress experiments - Non-watch products

man8502

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/3/15
I'd be careful with aliexpress, and ioffer type of website.
you just need to be extra diligent

Roller

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
16/1/15
has anyone tried purchasing bracelets (beaded, leather) from Ali Express? I just ordered some yesterday and was wondering as to how the quality is

I ordered a bunch a few months ago. The SS and Rubber are fantastic and I have seen them for sale at flea markets and vendors for $39. The leather only are good as well.

orson

Renowned Member
8/12/09
Any chemist with a spectrometer can see exactly what is in a sample of perfume and I know an outlet that do a mix for about one third the price of the label one.

A fragrance is just alcohol and a mix of essences and oils; the label ones are formulated by industrial chemists led by designers and the non label copies can be the same or close mix, at that point the designer is redundant.

An interesting parallel is on my wrist at the moment. A designer led the manufacture of an s/s case, added a sapphire and a 2824 and called it Black Bay at £2330. Mine cost less and the Chinese maker worked without the design team, it is a copy, a fake and there are disgruntled gen owners that would call it sh*t. Personally I wouldn't.

cornholio

Renowned Member
6/5/15
I ordered a bunch a few months ago. The SS and Rubber are fantastic and I have seen them for sale at flea markets and vendors for $39. The leather only are good as well.

yeah I've seen them online going for around that price, I ordered 10 pieces that altogether cost my $19 so im interested to see what they're like quality and finish wise

Roller

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
16/1/15

sweden

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/13
Any chemist with a spectrometer can see exactly what is in a sample of perfume and I know an outlet that do a mix for about one third the price of the label one.

A fragrance is just alcohol and a mix of essences and oils; the label ones are formulated by industrial chemists led by designers and the non label copies can be the same or close mix, at that point the designer is redundant.

An interesting parallel is on my wrist at the moment. A designer led the manufacture of an s/s case, added a sapphire and a 2824 and called it Black Bay at £2330. Mine cost less and the Chinese maker worked without the design team, it is a copy, a fake and there are disgruntled gen owners that would call it sh*t. Personally I wouldn't.

I really don't think you understand how a spectrometer works. You can find out what type of parts a sample contains. But never exactly what ingredient and in what concentration.

I will give you an example. I cook you dinner. I tell you what ingredients, meat, pasta, alcohol etc. you can start trying to replicate it, but not know exactly what meat, pasta, alcohol, how these are prepared and in what quantities.

The stores that replicate perfumes will just try and mimic the smell. I'm sure it will smell similar but it won't be the same.

Just to clarify. I don't buy perfumes, rep or gen. So don't think I'm defending gen perfumes because I prefer them.

Poolsfinest

Renowned Member
4/8/14
So my second Holbrook arrived. $10. Looks very very cheap. Plastic is crap.

There are definitely different grades of rep for these.
Live had 3 pairs. One cheap set were absolute garbage. The two that cost slightly more (20-30$) are outstanding. Also came with polarised lenses...

orson

Renowned Member
8/12/09
I really don't think you understand how a spectrometer works. You can find out what type of parts a sample contains. But never exactly what ingredient and in what concentration.

I will give you an example. I cook you dinner. I tell you what ingredients, meat, pasta, alcohol etc. you can start trying to replicate it, but not know exactly what meat, pasta, alcohol, how these are prepared and in what quantities.

The stores that replicate perfumes will just try and mimic the smell. I'm sure it will smell similar but it won't be the same.

Just to clarify. I don't buy perfumes, rep or gen. So don't think I'm defending gen perfumes because I prefer them.

Ditto! I use only soap, water and talc. The only spectrometer where I work is a gamma PMI device to prove that the alloys going in to the construction of sub-sea trees is what the designer requires.

Your reply shows rational and level thinking and that I didn't explain myself well; my post was a response to comments we regularly hear on the forum that rep some item or other is sh*t.

Just as I am not a chemist, I am not a chef but as the chemist might examine the fragrance with everything from his nose and litmus paper to a spectrometer a good chef would replicate your dinner with the experience and skills available to him even if your dinner carries the label "do not open, no user serviceable parts inside"

I agree with you that if I replicated your dinner it would be "canal street" but I believe we are in agreement that the smart manufacturers of fake watches, perfumes and other small objects of desire, even your dinner, will mimic as you say to one degree or other and while my 243 will never be a Panerai and the fragrance will never be Chanel it will not necessarily turn out to be rubbish.

pirho123

Known Member
6/11/12

umirza85

12/6/15

Too bad, because in the comments it seems that the people like them

Mak_10 recommended this in the post 982, check them
http://ru.aliexpress.com/item/Holbr...957.html?tracelog=ae-app-ios-sharefor-shkmail

I've ordered a pair of quite expensive ones (around $30) which are supposed to be quite decent. Will post up a review when they arrive. Sorry don't have the link on me.