• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Modders vs Vendors (Disputes getting crazy lately)

rhp1462

Mythical Poster
20/2/13
No need for more rules. There already is a rule. Flipping for profit is bad. Marking up a piece is okay if it is rare or modded, UNLESS it is clear that the sales forum is being used as a sales platform in lieu of vendor status. To the frequent Rolex, Panerai, and AP modders out there...
Just open a supporting vendor section. It's not that expensive. Pay your monthly dues and profiteer all you want! Keep it out of the M2M section.
Totally agree. When you use m2m for profit you are screwing people out of money and forum too.

Bozz

I'm Pretty Popular
4/6/13
I think people who run this fine forum have all that figured out. All we need to do is not brake the rules which are set by them. Franken watches are totally different story. If someone sticks some gen parts on a watch and wants that money back is different from someone using cape cod and charge $100.

I hope you'll be so strict with yourself and with your friends modders.
It's very tiring to confront when in front of you people are biased and ill-will. Clearly my post you want to read only what is convenient.

PS Also I challenge you to well polish a watch only with CapeCod to reach an excellent goal. Polishing is not so obvious, you must do it. As I wrote, my price/evaluation was wrong and improvised.

rhp1462

Mythical Poster
20/2/13
I hope you'll be so strict with yourself and with your friends modders.
It's very tiring to confront when in front of you people are biased and ill-will. Clearly my post you want to read only what is convenient.

PS Also I challenge you to well polish a watch only with CapeCod. Polishing is not so obvious, you must do it. As I wrote, my price/evaluation was wrong and improvised.
Dude, i don't buy modded watches because i don't see value in them. Polishing is not modding imho but we can argue about that all day long. What you charged for polish was ridiculous even if you did 38 stage polishing. This whole episode could have been avoided had your fees been reasonable.

Bozz

I'm Pretty Popular
4/6/13
Totally agree. When you use m2m for profit you are screwing people out of money and forum too.

Given that I dont accept to be treated by scammer or similar, because I always clearly described my watches (and my feedbacks speak for themselves), it might be prudent to some ads for sale currently underway.
I am certain that thanks to your experience and integrity if you could identify them and report them. I unfortunately cannot do it...

Bozz

I'm Pretty Popular
4/6/13
Dude, i don't buy modded watches because i don't see value in them. Polishing is not modding imho but we can argue about that all day long. What you charged for polish was ridiculous even if you did 38 stage polishing. This whole episode could have been avoided had your fees been reasonable.

Not only polished guy, several mods were done. But I dont have to justify myself with you, who are obviously biased. Demonstrated by the fact that you mention partly my post.

silverclaw

I'm Pretty Popular
24/2/13
UK
I don't know... If the rule is no profits, then why is the closed factory omega so expensive? It wasn't expensive back then.. MBW too.

I think the idiots complaining on people's sales threads and threadcrapping really need to be punished. People assume this mob mentality and completely lambast people on their threads, eventually making the watch pretty much unsellable at any price, even a fair one.

Sellers then have to completely drop their prices to be able to shift the watch. Ridiculous behaviour, especially for a place that we consider a good community.

rhp1462

Mythical Poster
20/2/13
Well said mate.

However, I think my proposal can be evaluated by the staff. Several hundred dollars per month for the maintenance of the forum.
That would be good. As I said on your sales thread that you need your own section. I meant that as a compliment when i said it. Here you are thinking i am biased. All you need is a section where you can sell like BK and it wouldnt be a problem.

D

d4m.test

Well said mate.

However, I think my proposal can be evaluated by the staff. Several hundred dollars per month for the maintenance of the forum.

We are all (mostly) grown ass men with the ability to think for ourselves and use our wallets and credit cards as we see fit. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to that point, Bozz you clearly have a following of members that enjoy your work. Open a SV section and sell to them. There's no need for a special fee calculation specifically for modders.

I don't know... If the rule is no profits, then why is the closed factory omega so expensive? It wasn't expensive back then.. MBW too.
I think the idiots complaining on people's sales threads and threadcrapping really need to be punished. People assume this mob mentality and completely lambast people on their threads, eventually making the watch pretty much unsellable at any price, even a fair one.

Sellers then have to completely drop their prices to be able to shift the watch. Ridiculous behaviour, especially for a place that we consider a good community.

i think bear pokers, thread crappers, and trolls need to be thrown in the newly created brig pending public flogging and banishment

Bozz

I'm Pretty Popular
4/6/13
That would be good. As I said on your sales thread that you need your own section. I meant that as a compliment when i said it. Here you are thinking i am biased. All you need is a section where you can sell like BK and it wouldnt be a problem.

We are all (mostly) grown ass men with the ability to think for ourselves and use our wallets and credit cards as we see fit. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to that point, Bozz you clearly have a following of members that enjoy your work. Open a SV section and sell to them. There's no need for a special fee calculation specifically for modders.

Why not. I'll ask for infos and costs when (if) I can send pms again... if the subscription worth it (and if believed suitable) I'll do it with pleasure.

rhp1462

Mythical Poster
20/2/13
Why not. I'll ask for infos and costs when (if) I can send pms again... if the subscription worth it (and if believed suitable) I'll do it with pleasure.
There ya go. All I was trying to say all along. Good luck mate.

mikewatch

Renowned Member
27/11/09
Your contributions are fantastic Bozz, very few have the eye for detail that comes with staring at all the available rep Pam CG's, Dials, and parts. You have a passion for the hobby like a lot of us do and together it's laughable when we get called out for being OCD or "that's silly to worry about he details" or " I don't wear my watch backwards so I'm not worried about the movement" etc. I for one LOVE how close the reps are getting and they are better and better, I'm also very into the history of Pam's like many of us. Selling a watch with gen parts is a different animal completely and without question you are honorable and can identify gen parts etc as many of us can that have been burned. However and here is where it gets tricky, rules are rules. We cannot take value in our mixing rep parts and mods, even if the sum of our work makes the better watch. We cannot do these mods to subsidize our own hobby. Take Klockis as an example, he has put tons of time and energy into his Pam hobby and sells mash up better builds for as long as I have been a member and it's always what he paid for it. If he has two watches and makes one with all the best parts then it costs more than the one with all the worst parts but the sum of what he gets is the same as what he paid. That is the intent of the rule. In the long run those of us with more discretionary income like Klockis are really not interested in the making of some extra money even if it is to make the next great creation and that is where I totally understand. This is NOT a case of your integrity in anyway at all that I see like we have seen so may times and the mods have to be vigilant and we as members call out the scum bags for offing their broken stuff or whatever. Your a great guy and getting really good at pics and builds. Keep it up and just follow the rules and put in a little more time at your day job to be able to afford to make creations that we all LOVE to see. I know I do and a really good and clean polished 005 with all the best rep parts makes it all worth coming here to see. But you can't charge more than you pay and your time modding them is not available to you or anyone else to charge for unless we are an approved watchsmith, TD, or modder. Doesn't matter what our ideas are I'm sure they have been discussed in nauseum by the admin's over the years and pretty well thought out. Good luck Bozz and keep posting good content and builds brother!

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I think Bozz having an SV spot could be the perfect solution. He's doing a good job and his services might be useful for those who can't or don't want to do the mods they want on their own. Also, he's in EU and we don't have lots of choices here.

On the other hand I strongly disagree with thread crapping and questioning member's work and integrity without any evidence of bad will. If something's wrong with a sale, contact the seller and if the issue is not addressed, contact a mod.

From the very beginning of my frequentation of the fora I stumbled in a lot of modded/frankened/built/vintagised etc. watches. To no surprise each one of them costed more than its new from factory counterpart, so I don't really see the issue with the recent sales in question. Was it only a price tag too high? In my opinion only the market can decide. Is a modded watch price supposed to be sold at the same price of a watch straight from the factory? From a buyer perspective I would like it could be so, but I don't think I will ever see this IRL ;)

Another reason why I prefer to see modded watches for sale openly is that a buyer has the forum support if he buys a watch that has been misrepresented, while backdoor sales (or modding) leave the members on their own.

As for the polemic about polishing a watch... I can say from my own experience that achieving a professional result is not an easy task. It takes many hours of work and needs a lot of experience to be done well.

Bozz

I'm Pretty Popular
4/6/13
Thanks Mike, I understand your point of view. In fact I have also tried to propose an alternative idea, to allow people like me to propose their own build and to allow the forum to earn several hundred dollars per week .
If my proposal cannot be implemented, when possible I'll try to ask how and how much to be a SV.

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14
This thread feels like a movie, I walk into a bar where two groups are fighting, and................

qJPB0G7.gif

Did I just ruin this topic?

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
Anyone that has the watchmaking skills to repair/improve/modify a watch completely deserves the compensation for said time/parts. It's tedious work. Replicas only add to the frustration.

People need to do their own due diligence. Ready stickies, post threads, learn and become informed. The information is here for those that wish to use it.

Logically speaking.. This is the last place anyone would come to hoping to sell overpriced wares to the unsuspecting. The most savvy WIS on the planet walk among us.