• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Riots in Ferguson Mo.

coop

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
You are correct sub, I had only posted as an informative thing. Sub has known me on here for many years as have many of the old timers including TB, I did not want this to degrade the way it did. Nor do I want any newer members banned over the controversial nature of this topic. So I will use what little power I have and say to TB to just warn and not ban anyone over this thread.

coop

Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
But that doesn't mean this is a free for all. We need to conduct ourselves with dignity ;-)

coop

Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
How do you like my avatar change sub?

PP123

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/8/14
Again, I have nothing for which to apologize. I've said nothing offensive or inappropriate to anyone. However, you do and you have. I have tried to make thoughtful and insightful arguments - only in the spirit of scholarship and the exchange of divergent ideas.

If I am the kind of "element" that attempts to disabuse people of the notion that inequality is an acceptable practice in our society (and that it damages the entire society), then I'll take that badge and wear it proudly. And I am certainly not going to explain my actions to you either. You were the one that seemed to only have comments about your private parts and your excrement, as well as other lewd remarks about you committing sodomy, against another man no doubt.

Maybe the well-intentioned people that are members of this site wasn't aware of the vulgarities of which you are capable and now they are aware, as you have exposed yourself. In that case, I've contributed a great deal here. If you think what Mitch has said in this thread exhibits appropriate behavior on his part and think what I've said does not, then you are telling the 70,000 members of this site much about who you really are.

I've tried to change the tone and trajectory of this discussion from the crescendo of increasing hatred and name-calling several times and you never once responded in kind; just more name-calling. I've concluded that this is an unfair debate and if you haven't noticed, I have not come down to your level of communicating - NOT ONCE.

So, the futility and circular nature of this discussion is starting to bore me terribly, and I'll leave you with that.

mattyd

I'm Pretty Popular
30/12/09
Having read this entire thread, I had a thought. This is our (America's) equivalent to the Israeli/Palestinian problem. It's not as old or as visible, but it is every bit as passionate (and no one has missiles or tanks - although the cops are close!) I'm also fairly sure it is every bit as unsolvable. There is no way either side can undo what has already been done. For blacks, they will always feel the system is stacked against them and I'm not saying it's not. For whites, not all, but the ones we are talking about for the sake of this discussion, blacks will always be thugs on the government dime.

To me these racial flare-ups are never about the incident that exposes them -- that is why the facts as some have said are irrelevant. The wounds are much deeper, and very ready to show themselves when something like Ferguson happens. I don't know what the answer is, I think I've been clear I don't believe there is one -- but I do believe in people and feel that if we can keep our heads when things get out of hand, we will get through it. That is until the next time this happens and another thread is started and a bunch of watch guys start yelling at each other again!

parklanephil

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
4/6/14
Having read this entire thread, I had a thought. This is our (America's) equivalent to the Israeli/Palestinian problem. It's not as old or as visible, but it is every bit as passionate (and no one has missiles or tanks - although the cops are close!) I'm also fairly sure it is every bit as unsolvable. There is no way either side can undo what has already been done. For blacks, they will always feel the system is stacked against them and I'm not saying it's not. For whites, not all, but the ones we are talking about for the sake of this discussion, blacks will always be thugs on the government dime.

To me these racial flare-ups are never about the incident that exposes them -- that is why the facts as some have said are irrelevant. The wounds are much deeper, and very ready to show themselves when something like Ferguson happens. I don't know what the answer is, I think I've been clear I don't believe there is one -- but I do believe in people and feel that if we can keep our heads when things get out of hand, we will get through it. That is until the next time this happens and another thread is started and a bunch of watch guys start yelling at each other again!

Do you feel we should try and change it though?
I am like you, I believe in people, I believe in the evolution of the species and that humans will move through this.
This country is young and suffering from growing pains as well as generations holding on to how it used to be, much as you said above.
When we look at the progression in this country it seems inevitable that we will improve, as long as we don't destroy ourselves first- much like Rome

For the purposes of clarity of course I believe we should try, that is why we should speak up against injustice and social wrong no matter what they are or where we see them.

mattyd

I'm Pretty Popular
30/12/09
God, I would love to think that "trying" would help -- but phil, has trying helped in Gaza? I think these divides are way past accepting the status quo, but I'm not sure what an honest attempt to make things better would look like. I'm not even sure the protesters are telling the truth about what they want. They say there are only three black officers out of fifty in Ferguson. If they hired another twenty black cops tomorrow, would that be a positive step? -- yes it would. But would that change any of the underlying animosity and built up resentment? -- again, I'm not so sure. I think these problems are much more fundamental than more cops, more government representation, etc. It's about feeling like you can achieve the American dream (corny, I know) or not. And right now, the protesters in Ferguson feel the answer is definitely no.

Now, is the answer to the above question someone else's fault? Therein lies the rub -- and the reason everyone is screaming at each other instead of talking about the new Bumble Bee:)

parklanephil

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
4/6/14
God, I would love to think that "trying" would help -- but phil, has trying helped in Gaza? I think these divides are way past accepting the status quo, but I'm not sure what an honest attempt to make things better would look like. I'm not even sure the protesters are telling the truth about what they want. They say there are only three black officers out of fifty in Ferguson. If they hired another twenty black cops tomorrow, would that be a positive step? -- yes it would. But would that change any of the underlying animosity and built up resentment? -- again, I'm not so sure. I think these problems are much more fundamental than more cops, more government representation, etc. It's about feeling like you can achieve the American dream (corny, I know) or not. And right now, the protesters in Ferguson feel the answer is definitely no.

Now, is the answer to the above question someone else's fault? Therein lies the rub -- and the reason everyone is screaming at each other instead of talking about the new Bumble Bee:)

I can see how it is futile looking but surely on a human level we must. Change happens in two ways, evolution and revolution. This country is only a very short time from it's last revolution. ( in world terms) and I personally don't feel is capable of further revolution.
That leaves evolution, which, as we all know is slow and incremental.
IMHO if we stand by and watch a man get beaten we may just as well be beating him ourselves.
For the sake of our legacy we have to work towards change. This country is built upon that ideal.
I won't raise my child to believe " all black are violent" that is a difference I can make. If we all work at incremental change then our great grand kids will wonder what all the fuss was about.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Oh FFS! I don't have the time to read the last 15 pages of this crap. On most fora it would not have got past page 3.
Since certain folk can't act like adults and have a rational discussion enough is enough.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Thread reopened. Mitch has something to say . . .

mitchbaria

15/10/12
After considering my comments all day and seeking guidance from people I trust I believe for me to throw all people of any race in a huge group because of the actions of a few is totally wrong and foolish on my part,,, if my comments hurt or offended any one or group of people I'm truly sorry for that....Sub was trying to defend me and only did what friends do...my stupid comments do not reflect the values of the majority of people here and was hurtful...for that I'm truly sorry and asked anyone that has copied my hurtful comments to please take them down as it doesn't represent RWI well and could possibly hinder new members from wanting to be a part of this great place....

mattyd

I'm Pretty Popular
30/12/09
These feelings run deep, Mitch -- anyone can be forgiven for showing a little emotion. Especially if they realize it and have a thread opened again to explain...

mitchbaria

15/10/12
Once again,, Sub was not part of the conversation when I generalized all people of color as being part of what's going on in Ferguson, and should not be associated with such comments....I was blatantly wrong and alone in those comments,,, they were stupid and wrong.....Those comments shouldn't be considered to be anything but what they were..COMPLETELY FALSE AND WRONG,,, I've edited what I can of comments that could possibly hurt the many fine African-American members that are part of or considering becoming part of this wonderful place and I asked each one of you, people I consider friends, to search these threads and continue to help me in removing any of my stupid comments that I can't get to....Thank You And once again please forgive me and don't hold it against me,,,I never want to be considered the hurter in these types of discussions....

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
Ok ! Now I think its time for some nice pics of great looking boobies !! Yes, boobies galore !! They always seem to add a bit spice towards the end of a long running thread !! :biggrin-new:

egroegart

1/7/13
I brought that up a long time ago Sumi. lol. That's what we needed.