• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Most accurate iwc.

Russxxx

Horology Curious
13/5/14
Hi all,
Thinking of investing on an Iwc.
Which would be the most accurate watch? I quite like the looks of the big pilot top guns.

Recommendations and thoughts ? :)

vavavoom

9/7/14
I just got the 3717, my first rep. It looks dead on. The most obvious flaw to me would be AR. =D

higginsd

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/12
Thats like "who has the best sub?"...

3777, BigPilot, 3717, 3714 are good replicas.

eisbaer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/7/14
From what I have read, it's like higginsd says. My first interest was the IWC 3714, beautiful watch, but it has got that secs@6 problem. Deciding between the Mark XVII and the 3777, I chose the latter.

higginsd

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/12
No. The pushers are wrong and wrong placed, the case has some wrong curves/dimensions, the 4 on dial isn't curved (I know, some early gen versions have also an uncurved 4...). Combined with the ticking time bomb seconds@6 - I'm not sure that this watch is a good deal. Although I like it, it's just too small for my wrist.

OK, the markers on the 3777 dial are too thick (I know this because I have a gen dial) and the color is wrong. But that is hard to see 80cm away.

Anyway, both reps are nearly perfect, almost super-reps.

watchgeek41

26/3/13
Which IWC is the best/most accurate that has a full dial second hand? The Mark XVII?

rhp1462

Mythical Poster
20/2/13
I would say big pilot. Only thing is non working power reserve.

Sent from 1:1 app made with a gen tapatalk as sample.

watchgeek41

26/3/13
Having a dial that doesn't work is a big put-off to me. Are any of the Mark XVII's good?

higginsd

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/12
As I posted so often: the PR subdial at the gen shows "full" after a very short time of wearing the watch. If you put it on a winder or wear the watch, the PR subdial always shows... "full". So what is the (your) problem with a non-working PR subdial which always shows - "full"!!!??? It's no difference to the face a gen shows you. Better this than the big flaws of the rep BP with working PR (recessed date disc, PR subdial center at complete wrong position, pusher for quick chamging the date at the side of the case).

OK, it's up to you. But the BP with faux PR is one the best IWC reps available.

Mark versions: the Mark XVI 1:1 edition is the best M-16 and the Mark XVII 1:1 edition (also available with bracelet) is the best M-17 at the moment.

Another IWC with big seconds hand is the Ingenieur Laureus Sport. It's very accurate, nearly a super rep.

Last not least: the Aquatimer vintage.

watchgeek41

26/3/13
Thank you for all that info! I'm a noob when it comes to IWC reps so your input is greatly appreciated. I think I would now be okay with the faux PR dial. Does the huge crown of the big pilot stand out as much in person as it does in photos? To me it looks out of place compared to the smaller crown of the Mark XVII (in photos as least).

higginsd

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/12
No, the crown of the BP can be screwed to the same position as on the gen. If it can't be screwed in complete there is something wrong with the tube.

Go for it, the BP is a gorgeous watch! One of the best starts to the rep world.

watchgeek41

26/3/13
I didn't mean stand out literally. I meant that it looks very big like it's too big for the watch case. To me, the smaller crown on the Mark XVII looks more proportional in size to the case of the watch (at least in photos).

I've currently got a TC so I'm used to a very nice rep, so I want to get the nicest IWC I can (with a full dial second hand).

lofi

Known Member
16/5/10
I can safely say the big pilot is one of my all time favorites from iwc. I've had many and the current crop are extremely accurate the laureus sport, the 3777, the xvii. the aquatimer has a display back so I cannot include it but it is a nice example as well. but if you love the big dial, the big sweep seconds, the big case and that crown... you can do no wrong with that.

rhp1462

Mythical Poster
20/2/13
Get laureus sport and call it a day.

Sent from 1:1 app made with a gen tapatalk as sample.

watchgeek41

26/3/13
The lareus sport is a bit too dressy for me. I've heard right now isn't a good time to buy from our TD's because of Chinese New Year. I guess I'll keep an eye out for IWC's on member sales. Does Vac sell any IWC's directly? He currently has my TC for waterproofing.

watchgeek41

26/3/13
Somewhere recently I read that if you ordered a rep now you wouldn't get it until February. I'll try to find what I read.