• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5167A v4 - quick pics

mir36

Known Member
5/6/09
First I just wanted to say thanks for the knowledge shared in this section. I wanted to get something different from the PAMs and Rolexes in my collection. After reading the reviews here, I decided to go with the 5167 V4. Took awhile to receive it since the factory took a couple of weeks to deliver it to the TD. Then upon seeing the rotor, I was hesitant to take the watch. I eventually accepted as the movement is anyways no comparison with the gen. I'm glad I did. I received the watch yesterday and I've been wearing it ever since.

Some shots showing the dial in different lighting conditions:

Morning outdoors:

Morning indoors:

In the car:

The rotor shot:

Lume is quite good. 5 seconds under a lamp:

Observations:
1. The '4' in this model has a flatter top than the more recent 5167A model, but is still correct. The older model had a flat top 4.

2. The bottom lug corner has a sharp angle. This is more rounded off in the gen. So take a file to it if you wish:

3. The rubber strap does have a slight vanilla smell to it. I understand it is common practice in the industry to use vanilla as a maskant for rubber straps, so it doesn't really bother me. The band also tends to attract dust out of the box if not washed with dish washing detergent first.

4. When cutting/fitting the rubber strap, make sure you do this in increments and do not cut off even sections from both the 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock sides. You always want to cut a bit more off the 6 o'clock side to center the buckle on your wrist. BTW, size it using your thicker wrist so you can swap between left and right.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this. It exudes an understated elegance that goes well with formal wear and jeans. More importantly, I wouldn't hesitate to swim with this.

If someone could just make a closed caseback for this, I think we'd have a winner. Just tell people you plan to have it engraved.

Thanks for looking. :)

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
I'm waiting for them to release a nice engraved version of the rotor, like the new AP RO. Once they get that done I'll jump on one of these in an instant.

mir36

Known Member
5/6/09
Updated the lume shot. Indices are decent. Hands are quite weak.

GlennRyuen

16/7/11
Very Nice Watch!

Just to check does the Crystal on Gen has AR ?

Am curious about the accuracies when it's under the light

Glenn

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
Thanks for sharing the pictures. To ask, how big around is your wrist?

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
Hi mir, after owning this for 8 months, how is the vanilla smell now ? Is it still there ?

GlennRyuen

16/7/11
Heres my V4.5 with modded bezel

u9uhavus.jpg

y6eqe3yr.jpg

eju8e2un.jpg

a2e6ene8.jpg

No vanilla but rubber smell on strap :):)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mir36

Known Member
5/6/09
Hi mir, after owning this for 8 months, how is the vanilla smell now ? Is it still there ?

No more vanilla smell, not that i ever minded it. And it's been my daily beater since I got it. I wear it into the local Patek boutique, and I smile to myself when I think about the $18k cost avoidance. Still... one day I will get my gen 5167. :)

Kpalooza

25/5/12
Heres my V4.5 with modded bezel

u9uhavus.jpg

y6eqe3yr.jpg

eju8e2un.jpg

a2e6ene8.jpg

No vanilla but rubber smell on strap :):)

What's the mod (can't really tell), the cost, and who did it?? Looks great!

Kpalooza

25/5/12
Also, I didn't even know there was a v4.5...I put in my order for the v4 about four data ago. :/

GlennRyuen

16/7/11
Mine is V4 with no vanilla smell strap ( so ill name it 4.5):):) on the mod , my watch technician friend working at Audemars Piguet Singapore did a "sand paper treatment " , with some chemical added . Now my bezel and case shine like the Gen Royal Oak :D

GlennRyuen

16/7/11
a8avetuz.jpg

Side by side with a Gen Royal Oak - the sheen is identical