• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM505 gen with less than a year of use

torobravo

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
2/5/10
The position of the balance wheel is different from the gen

MisterGu

I'm Pretty Popular
3/10/13
Time to take that movement and dial and build a franken!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maszie

Known Member
10/10/12
Does your friend already know how much Panerai would charge him for a repair.

revhrd

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/2/11
Ok, I guess I'll be the villain and step up.

+infinite number on smokidabong's comments

ANY watch rep, gen, imaginary figment WILL wear out if not cared for. Toro, this thread is misguiding because it serves your purpose to portray gens as canal quality. Regardless of the process of composite, any watch that is coated (dlc, composite, pvd) WILL scratch eventually. Let's not kid our selves here. Sure at the end of the day a rep is a much better option if:

-you plan to beat the crap out of your watch
-do not own watches for safe keeping but to actually wear

Devil's advocate? Perhaps but at least all points are true.

P.S. I for one would like to know the whole story, the owner's lifestyle and level of care and respect for gens. Until the this is but one side of the gen vs. rep coin.

Minkman

17/1/13
Ok, I guess I'll be the villain and step up.

+infinite number on smokidabong's comments

ANY watch rep, gen, imaginary figment WILL wear out if not cared for. Toro, this thread is misguiding because it serves your purpose to portray gens as canal quality. Regardless of the process of composite, any watch that is coated (dlc, composite, pvd) WILL scratch eventually. Let's not kid our selves here. Sure at the end of the day a rep is a much better option if:

-you plan to beat the crap out of your watch
-do not own watches for safe keeping but to actually wear

Devil's advocate? Perhaps but at least all points are true.

P.S. I for one would like to know the whole story, the owner's lifestyle and level of care and respect for gens. Until the this is but one side of the gen vs. rep coin.

It's a ten grand watch that looks like a piece of shit from the flea market after UNDER ONE YEAR OF USE.

How would you feel if you forked over ten grand and got to look at that cluster(nsfw) on your wrist ???

Awful , I've had black rep Pam's and a Pam from toro and they were top quality and I'm sure they still are , unlike this gen pos.

Done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
I'm most interested to find out what Panerai propose to do about it? I'd say that was totally unacceptable for 'normal' wear and tear after a year, and as they've not ony discontinued the watch but also the process, they've pretty much admitted they knew there was an issue with the durability of the coating and/or the application process.

Revhrd, while I can understand where your view point is coming from, and totally agree with your comments on how you can damage anything, regardless of how much it cost, I'd say that Toro has only posted this as he is genuinely interested in the state of a gen after a year. If I was to be the Devil's advocate's advocate (if that even works!), I'd say that this could serve to put people off the reps more, as if this is what a gen made in a cleanroom looks like after a year, what will a rep thrown together in someone's basement look like?

That isn't my opinion by the way, I suspect the reps are just a standard PVD DLC so are no doubt as tough as any other DLC out there.

I've got a 292M on today, bring back composite Rads, all is forgiven!

smokiedabong

22/8/12
It's a ten grand watch that looks like a piece of shit from the flea market after UNDER ONE YEAR OF USE.

How would you feel if you forked over ten grand and got to look at that cluster(nsfw) on your wrist ???

Awful , I've had black rep Pam's and a Pam from toro and they were top quality and I'm sure they still are , unlike this gen pos.

Done.

This is my one week old off-road car. It looks worse than a Suzuki Samurai. I find it unacceptable for a pure breed off-road car which cost me a lot of money to look like this after only one week of using it for the purpose it was built. I've been ripped off!

damaged-car-600.jpg

revhrd

5/2/11
@minkman,

So.... if I buy a ferrari and a month later I completely destroy the engine should I be pissed off at ferrari because it didn't last as long as it should? Yet my fiero replica ferrari is thirty plus years old and still runs great... use logic and think that regardless of the source or brand, how one takes care of anything will dictate it's durability.

Most if not all of us take care of our watches. I'm not implying or saying that the gen owner is careless, but clearly a picture paints a grim picture.

@alex_p1,

What panerai would do is ask exactly how the watch was abused, ahem used. While I'm certain that they would no doubt go above and beyond based on a marketing standpoint and pr, they will certainly question the reasons for the wear and tear. This will help them improve the process.

@smokie,

Yeah, I'd be pissed, you better take it back to your AD :)

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
+1 +1 +1

This guy has no reason to be pissed. I doubt all of that damage happened overnight. At the first sign of wear/damage, he should have acted.

@minkman,

So.... if I buy a ferrari and a month later I completely destroy the engine should I be pissed off at ferrari because it didn't last as long as it should? Yet my fiero replica ferrari is thirty plus years old and still runs great... use logic and think that regardless of the source or brand, how one takes care of anything will dictate it's durability.

Most if not all of us take care of our watches. I'm not implying or saying that the gen owner is careless, but clearly a picture paints a grim picture.

@alex_p1,

What panerai would do is ask exactly how the watch was abused, ahem used. While I'm certain that they would no doubt go above and beyond based on a marketing standpoint and pr, they will certainly question the reasons for the wear and tear. This will help them improve the process.

@smokie,

Minkman

17/1/13
@minkman,

@alex_p1,

@smokie,

You'd have to wreck a Ferrari to "kill the engine" , but unless this guy smashed it against a brick 100 times I see that as unacceptable if he was just normally wearing it and not banging grizzl bears or any crazy crap

sanankid

I'm Pretty Popular
18/6/11
You'd have to wreck a Ferrari to "kill the engine" , but unless this guy smashed it against a brick 100 times I see that as unacceptable if he was just normally wearing it and not banging grizzl bears or any crazy crap

Actually no. Ferrari engine fires are quite frequent and are probably the number 1 reason for insurance totaling.

bradj

I'm Pretty Popular
21/7/12
I think if you look at the pictures of the strap in Post 1 of this thread its obvious this watch was well abused.

Its still a shame to see the watch look like crap, and perhaps the coating could have performed better.

Fiveostang

6/11/12
The watch clearly had the shat knocked out of it but this is my problem with coated watches it's not like you can polish those scratches out if you insist on a coated watch then get a rep so it doesn't hurt as bad. What a way to piss on $9k

toaster

Known Member
21/4/13
he wore it in good health, looks like he enjoyed life and didnt care!!!

Doright

Renowned Member
3/8/13

Same here. For all we know the guy could have worn this 24/7 while working an oil rig for a year. I think it's safe to say that this was not "normal" use.
I have a friend who bought a used gen Luminor that was in great shape. He wears it all the time and after owning it for more than a year, it still looks fantastic. But he takes care of it...

torobravo

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
2/5/10
asa6yzud.jpg

So I went to the Panerai aftersersales service. First they gave me that bad look before I opened my mouth to tell them what is going on with the watch. The treatment was very antipathic and bad. You cannot treat a customer this way..

The coating or whatever it is, is peeling off. Tomorrow they will give me a quote for how much it would cost

aga8eted.jpg

yhazunyq.jpg

The story continues

By the way, all you eagle eyes now believe it is gen or not?

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
Has your friend worn this watch in the sea?

From a closer look at the pictures I can see what looks like a heavy oxide layer on the substrate material. If this is an aluminium alloy then I'm wondering if this kind of macro flaking of the coating and oxidation of the substrate has been caused by a small scratch which has allowed water in between the two layers (especially if there is a known issue with the the integrity of the coating and/or bonding to the substrate).

I've had cars with cast aluminium wing mirrors which have had a small 'bubble' appear in the paint, and when picked opens up a whole mess of paint flaking off becasue is was just held on by the oxide layer! Water had got in through a small defect and undermined the paint on the whole mirror before it was noticable from the outside.

The owner could have scratched the watch in a couple of places through normal wear, then worn it in the sea and a couple of weeks later the whole thing is coming apart. Hardly a year of abuse...