• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Q's Top Secret BPSD Reference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Sorry if this have been answered but how bad is the crown position/height on the BPSD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's as good as it will ever get. Much, much closer than any prior.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

rols16610

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/4/12
Just got my BPSD back from Alex at UKWatch services.

TC crown and tube installed, plus a set of TC hands, also have a TC SD bracelet on it :)

Alex greased the seals, and it passed the 5ATM waterproof test, quick photo below.

null_zpsf98d3bd3.jpg

Turbo350z

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/13
BAAD90C2-B770-4D08-82C5-B160D5DE0419-7689-000002B040F2FBD3_zps2a529bd6.jpg

Just got mine back from KO67 today.

TC bracelet and Clark's hands. He did an amazing job on it for me! Couldn't be happier.
Thanks Kevin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
Looks good to me! I should have mine back from the watchmaker this week. I have no issue with the factory dial or hands. While the TC dial hands are probably closer to gen, I am not sure the upgrade is worth a $100.00. To factory dial and hands look fine to my eye OTB. The TC bracelet is a must have improvement though! Huge difference and absolutely worth the $50.00. The bought the A2824 version of the watch, but I would skip it and get the cheap version. The quality of the clone in my watch was poor. The button to release the stem broke ... And I was as gentle as could be with it. I started to take it apart and the parts are poorly machined and it was either dry as a bone at certain points or over lubed in the few area that were lubed. It wasn't worth the time or money to service this movement, so I put in a fresh sellita sw200 and my watch maker put in an H4 CP in place of the standard H2 that comes with the sellita. For the budget I set for this watch, I felt these three upgrades gave me the most bang for the buck.

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
Looks good to me! I should have mine back from the watchmaker this week. I have no issue with the factory dial or hands. While the TC dial hands are probably closer to gen, I am not sure the upgrade is worth a $100.00. To factory dial and hands look fine to my eye OTB. The TC bracelet is a must have improvement though! Huge difference and absolutely worth the $50.00. The bought the A2824 version of the watch, but I would skip it and get the cheap version. The quality of the clone in my watch was poor. The button to release the stem broke ... And I was as gentle as could be with it. I started to take it apart and the parts are poorly machined and it was either dry as a bone at certain points or over lubed in the few area that were lubed. It wasn't worth the time or money to service this movement, so I put in a fresh sellita sw200 and my watch maker put in an H4 CP in place of the standard H2 that comes with the sellita. For the budget I set for this watch, I felt these three upgrades gave me the most bang for the buck.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Just back from Katt after he installed the Gen 2824-2 and #5 cannon parts from Ofrei.

I just need to find a replacement caseback gasket. And information one where to find one would be most appreciated. :)

IMAG1176-1.jpg

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Just back from Katt after he installed the Gen 2824-2 and #5 cannon parts from Ofrei.

I just need to find a replacement caseback gasket. And information one where to find one would be most appreciated. :)

IMAG1176-1.jpg

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I know you guys are all modding them, but is it really that bad stock?

The bezel mod R2 did on my case is incredible. It turns just like my Gen PO. Pretty firm and consistent all the way around. Before, it was loose and lost its clicking in spots while turning. It floated too. You could push it down.

The Gen crown and Ofrei tube work great together. R2 is a master!

:r2d4:

We're these done to look Gen or just to work/feel better? :thinking:

Keep it stock and live with the status quo or make it better. Up to you.......

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I know you guys are all modding them, but is it really that bad stock?

The bezel mod R2 did on my case is incredible. It turns just like my Gen PO. Pretty firm and consistent all the way around. Before, it was loose and lost its clicking in spots while turning. It floated too. You could push it down.

The Gen crown and Ofrei tube work great together. R2 is a master!

:r2d4:

We're these done to look Gen or just to work/feel better? :thinking:

Keep it stock and live with the status quo or make it better. Up to you.......

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
Isn't it currently the only SD on the market?:beatahorse:

Yes. Noob made an SD a few years ago that was the gold standard, but those have been out of production for a while. Frankly, this BP version is a lot better than the old Noob version. I enjoyed my SD for about an hour in august and its been with my watchmaker ever since. :(
I am not going crazy on the cosmetic stuff, but am focused on upgrading the movement. The watchmaker i am using on this project used to work for rolex in their NYC service center and has seen plenty of gen SD's on his bench. He was literally blown away with the quality of this case, crystal and the TC bracelet. It had the right feel to him. The dial and hands are also pretty decent out of the box, but he's being a good gent and is is touching up the print on the dial so it stands out a bit more and her is refinishing the bp hands, which are a bit rough. I am skipping a relume, since the rep superlume is pretty good and looks white enough in DL for my eyes.

On the other hand, the movement, movement holder, tabs and stem on my clone version are quite shitty though, and those all needed to be replaced.

I don't think any of the mods I am doing would be particularly noticeable, but my goal is to have a good watch when this is said and done. Cosmetics beyond a little touch of paint will have to wait. Oh, since I am replacing the shit movement with a SW200, i am having it serviced and am upgrading it to a correct H4 cp. This is cosmetic too, but it would crazy not to do it now under the circumstances.

I have been waiting almost 7 week so I hope he finishes soon!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
set2374

I know, I've been wearing my original Noob SSD for over 3 years now. Other than the rehaut being slightly off, I still think it's the best SD that has been made. Never a problem with the crown and tube such as the others. Better sapphire crystal. Much better HE valve that actually works like the gen. And better bracelet. And an actual new factory fresh ETA movement came in it.

The only problem I've had is after 3 years the dial indices and hands started turning a nice vintage brown. I've since replaced the dial and hands with a TC set which is about as close to gen as you could get.

So, I'll be sticking with my old faithful at least until TC comes out with something better.

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
TC has no interest in making a Sea-Dweller, so you will have many years to enjoy your noob! I do disagree with you though. The crown guards, case shape, lugs, crystal, dial, hands and rehaut are much nice on the BP without any mods. The bezel is also much nicer and I can't rave enough about the insert and BP pearl. Out of the box, the BP is a much nicer watch....althouth the movement sucks. The bracelet is nothing special on either version, but that's was other TC bracelet is for!

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
I had the noob, from a modding perspective and out of the box the noob ain't even close. I just put an aftermarket gen click spring in mine and I can't believe the difference. Trust me..it's the best out of the box and a joy to mod.

Edit to add: The old noob is the grand daddy. It's a fantastic watch!

benjji

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/13
Set2374,

i have question for you and for anyone who wants to answer.

My doubt is about print on the dial :

printing on the dial (the white writings " rolex-oyster "etc. etc.) I believe that on genuine dial has major relief-highness - high ground (I have problems to translate this word in english, i hope you understand). print on BP dial it seems more flat, the height of letters is evident only with a particular light.

this is my only question that bothers me. I ask you if this is true?

is the highness of the letters signal of originality ?

maybe TC dial is better about this?
or is not problem.. maybe i'm wrong.

my watchmarker said me that Rolex used different factory wich worched his dials..( Bayeler-Singer) with different prints..

I keep a lot to learn about this. Thank you.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
I'm also interested in the click spring mod but can't find any tutorial for the Bp. Anyone care to put up a short guide for the noobies?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

It's really really simple. Tape the right 6 o clock lug so you don't scratch it. Work a pocket knife under it and pry it up. It will lift off. Carefully, and slowly take it off. You will see a long wire, this it's the click spring. Replace with a generic gen and put it back together. It's that easy.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Well, the first batch of BP's (I assume they were BP's) had a HORRIBLE shaped crystal you could spot from 10 feet. Also, the case had a flat spot where the HE valve was and the valve was sunk too far into the case. Still is. Did I mention, it's also a fake valve from what I understand unlike the Noob. As far as the dial and hands, I'll still take the Noob even though I've replaced mine with even better TC. The fit and finish of the bracelet and endlink fit is also far superior on the Noob. In fact the fit and finish of the whole watch, including movement is probably better. How many times have I heard about the new SD with crown and tube problems! And, on the Noob, a gen insert and pearl snap in just like on a gen SD. Not sure about the BP?

The only thing that has actually impressed me is the rehaut compared to the old one.

What I'm hearing is that if you buy a BP, swap out the movement, buy a TC bracelet, change the click spring, change the crown and tube, you have an awesome watch.

And with gen insert and pearl and TC hands and dial it would truly be the best. That I'll agree with.

So I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on some of the points you made unless they have all been corrected on the latest model. Just my opinion, but I haven't seen enough improvement to make me want to switch.

Turbo350z

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/13
I don't even think you need to upgrade the insert on the BP version. The pearl Is very good.
Here is mine next to a gen 16610 insert.
41E7F047-8669-4195-BDCB-DE4E0FB9F048-11770-00000628A701CE52_zps5076a341.jpg

I think they really nailed the finish on the case of this one as well. My father in law has the gen of this, I will see if I can snap a few pics next time I see him. But I can tell you with TC bracelet and hands this thing is damn near gen.

Notice the finish on the case in this pic. Very good.
BAAD90C2-B770-4D08-82C5-B160D5DE0419-7689-000002B040F2FBD3_zps2a529bd6.jpg

And the gen

641A99DD-B748-4103-A785-764A36268D44-14025-0000065903EA4374_zps750bb190.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.