• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Q's Top Secret BPSD Reference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Guys, the V1 super sea dweller had some real big issues with crown guards. This is a lot closer IMO. I had to mill my V1. At least this one has enough room to work with.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Ordered a second one from Hont. :facepalm:
DSC02085.jpg

carlton

Put Some Respect On My Name
2/10/11
Finally receive my BPSD after 1 and a half month, fitted it with TC bracelet and look really good.

My BPSD.

Fitted with TC bracelet, no filing required on one side and very minimum filing required on the other side. Whole fitted of the endlinks is nice and perfect.

:cheers:

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
Well finally I received a 16600 dial from TC. Here are some pictures I took with the dials side by side.
Here is the build sheet
TC bracelet
TC hands
TC dial
Gen insert

Sorry but I used a camera phone so the pics suck

BP on top and TC on bottom - When comparing the dials, the TC is more white, font is thinner and more detailed.
photo2_zps361e5528.jpg

TC on the left and BP on the right - The markers are not as tall on the TC and the metal rim around the lume is thinner.
photo1_zps0f5a7a38.jpg

Here is the assembled watch
photo_zps9ce2f0dc.jpg

Rudy40

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/10/12
I the last pic just got the gen insert in. Just got a email from TC saying the SD bracelet is on the way. Hands and crown and tube is next!
The watch was sourced from Sora.

gwkjvnql.jpg

NWgcDKHl.jpg

BOEutFEl.jpg

xTtD57el.jpg

g6J85B5l.jpg

Well next to the last LOL!!!

meh784

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/10/11
I got the TC hands installed and what a difference.

Just got it back from Ko67. TC bracelet is being dried after sitting in oil for a few days.

0WOBRyJ.jpg

more pics here

ImWatchingYOU

24/8/10
Asked to exchange the watch I posted QC pictures before, as I knew those flaws will annoy the shit out of me.

New QC pictures look much better and I approved this one. Stay tuned once I receive it :)

IHDWKZUh.jpg

36lfCR9h.jpg

O6K0sHXh.jpg

ZqTUV9gh.jpg

i0Mww2Fh.jpg

sXp0WH7h.jpg

fzJpE2Fh.jpg

OrKiK3Rh.jpg

eLbK1oOh.jpg

OJypdghh.jpg

sbn1Ajwh.jpg

Hopefully these pictures will help everyone who wants to get a SD :D

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Just a heads up for those planning a Crown-Tube swap with TC's or Gen/Clarks equiv.

The BP case is drilled and tapped to accept an M3 X.35 Pitch tube. The TC tube and the Aftermarket Gen tubes are M3 X .3. While this might not sound like a big difference, it is actually a "no-go" without the proper threads. I contacted CaskerCo about this because Otto, Casker, Esslingler all sell a .35 pitch tap, which will not work with their .3 ptich tubes. .35 is an IFI standard size which explains why they all carry them. Esslinger probably thought I was nuts and replied that they can get the .3 pitch if "I" wanted them too. lol, I bought tubes from all of them. They are all .3 pitch. So they can do what they need to do but..me.. I vote for the proper threads in the case.

Don't believe me? Buy a thread pitch gauge and see for yourself. ;)

I re-tapped the case to .3 from a .35, it's not ideal but it holds extremely well if you do this correctly. The TC and the Gen tubes are longer than the rep anyway, so you have twice the thread engagement into the case.

IMG_20150914_120258_zpsubfwrbxs.jpg

IMG_20150914_121537_zpsoc2s23ag.jpg

Reactions: mir36

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
So are they going to get the .3 pitch for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I elected to order one from China. I found a seller on Ebay who sells them. Honestly, I bet he knows what size Rolex needs and the percentage of gens needing a re-tap is probably next to nothing anyway, so no one has ever challenged it. (that is my theory, anyway.) Or, all of the Aftermarket/Gen tubes are wrong. :lol2: Go figure.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
If possible i would like to know the out come of your Gen' crown quest?? Thank's again! That was awesome input!

Outcome on the gen crown and tube was 100% positive. But it's Q5?'s now. ;) Just a few more mods for him.. then he will have it.

IMG_20130806_143748_zps89ff81b7.jpg

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Can anyone tell me what the stock DWO is like, i'm in the process of sourcing bits and need to know whether the stock is livable with or whether its worth getting a different version?

You want my honest to goodness opinion on the matter? (Assuming you do.. lol)

I would only replace the DWO if the specimen you receive is out of alignment (more than 6-7 days) from the factory. This is from a (45yo) guy who is near sighted. I cannot tell a discernible difference at an arms length. The TC might be better but unless you plan on 20/20'ing the watch all the time, it won't really be appreciable upgrade if all of your dates line up out of the gate. (went to the horse track, figured I would throw in a pun. ;) Date... gate? get it? )

mitchbaria

Put Some Respect On My Name
15/10/12
The pearl was the first thing I dealt with.... I'm currently waiting on TC to send the dial and hands,,,that's next! But this watch really looks great from the box.. I sure wish they could get a sub-c this close from the door. Most def a pleasure to work with.

008_zpsa156c703.jpg

And I guess I'm lucky about the DW cause I don't think I could do better them where I'm already at.

003_zpscfdd32e2.jpg

Rudy40

Banned
6/10/12
I am realy wanting to change the hands next. But cant get anybody to confirm which hand set will work on the new high beat? If anybody could provide a link or tell me if the TC hands set will work. Anything would be great!

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
Then you do not want the TC hands

This not good info Woof. Based on the research I have done on this movement and based on the posts from other respected members that have successfully installed clark ETA hands on the "New 25J movment" (and have discussed it in this very thread!), the answer is: Yes, the "new Asian 25j movement" will take eta sized hands--so the TC hands will work. The TC dial will also work--by the way--with the same mods needed to fit the clone and swiss movements.

I did my homework on this movement and rather than be a dick and tell you to use the "search" feature (wink), I am going to give you a summary of what I have learned (not first hand, since I have never had the movement in any of my watches). First, this not the 21j movement--which is essentially a clone of a miyota 9015 (btw, the "21j" (also referred to generically as a 2813) actually has 23j so I have no idea why we call it a 21j--but don't let me get in the way of rep maker marketing) . Second, this movement is not the same as a DG4813. That is a completely different movement all together from both the "2813"/"21j" and this "New 25J" movement.

This "New" movement has actually been around for a few years, but is only starting to make its way into reps in the last year or so. It is based loosely on the eta 2824. As a result, it has the same placement for dial feet, uses the same hand sizes, has the same stem height, and uses the same dw as eta/clone movements. While the "New" is heavily based on the 2824, it is NOT a clone. The movement manufacturer dumbed down the design a lot, which allows them to product them faster and cheaper. This is evident in the date change mechanism which is a slow change (like a 7750), rather than the quick change at 12 we are used to with clones and eta movements. Shortcuts aside, it could be a reliable movement if the maker has decent QC (not sure whether it does or doesn't). With the benefit of the simplified, no frills design, the "New" movement is much cheaper than the eta clones, but are still more expensive than the run of the mill "2813" movements. The makers still end up saving a lot of money using these movements because they don't have to source different, hands, dials, tubes, crowns for their low end watches. This should be a win/win for everyone--assuming these movements are reliable. I have heard mixed things about the quality of these movements, but since I have no personal experience with them, I will defer to those who have gone the "new 25j" route to weigh in.

Now that I have written up this nice explanation and helped you guys out, maybe you can help me! Does anyone here know whether BP is using a H4 canon pinion on the clone/swiss versions? Maybe one of you guys that own a clone or swiss version can take a macro picture of the canon pinion for me?!?!?!? Thanks!!!

Note: My original post had a harsh tone that, with some thought after the fact, was unwarranted. I edited this post accordingly.

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
Thanks for the refreshing info! I knew one member posted he used ETA AKA TC Hands on his new high beat movement. But didnt state weather he had to mod it or not?? So this info is musice to my ears! I want to thank you for your input and your research! You have been a great asset to the community with your reviews and research!

Thanks Rudy. What do you think of the 25j. Does it feel like a "21j' when you wind it? Sead told me most of BP's swiss movements old, badly refurbished sh!t and that BP uses dirt cheap clones for their A2824's---not like the ones noon is currently using. Vac has a thread with pictures of this too. He is sell BP swiss movements fron subs for $75.00..an H-Factory clones for $110.00.It sounds like the 25j is the way to go on these. If it craps out, you can get a good quality clone from TC with the correct CP height and your back in business.

Ironically, my BP AP 15400 has an expo caseback and swiss movement. Since it does not have decorations (besides the gorgeous rotor) to hide the rust and an it an expo case back, my BP watch got a fresh ETA movement. :). I guess that's why it's selling for $388 and the swissDF is selling for $260.00.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Rudy40

Banned
6/10/12
Thanks Rudy. What do you think of the 25j. Does it feel like a "21j' when you wind it? Sead told me most of BP's swiss movements old, badly refurbished sh!t and that BP uses dirt cheap clones for their A2824's---not like the ones noon is currently using. Vac has a thread with pictures of this too. He is sell BP swiss movements fron subs for $75.00..an H-Factory clones for $110.00.It sounds like the 25j is the way to go on these. If it craps out, you can get a good quality clone from TC with the correct CP height and your back in business.

Ironically, my BP AP 15400 has an expo caseback and swiss movement. Since it does not have decorations (besides the gorgeous rotor) to hide the rust and an it an expo case back, my BP watch got a fresh ETA movement. :). I guess that's why it's selling for $388 and the swissDF is selling for $260.00.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

No! It doesn't feel like a 21j. And trust me i have owed a thousand of them! LOL!!
Its a little stiff but smooth winding movement.Don't take much to get it going! A few turn's and she is off and running! What really amazes me is the smooth sweep it has. I have owed all kind of movement's including swiss in some older TC subs i have owned. And the sweep on this new movement is on par with some higher end movement's i have owned! But its not my favorite movement like the (Swiss 2824 #4 canon pinion height) like in the old TC Sub's. That will always be my favorite movement to mod. I haven't got to try the new TC clone movement yet. I bought one for a build but sold it because of some troubles i ran in to! So looking forward to buying another one of those in the future and working with it!
Knock Knock!! on wood its still running no issues yet. Fairly new watch though! But its a keeper for me. So we will see how it go's from here in about 6 months or so! I am going to mod the new high beat movement with the TC SD dail and hands now i now it could be done. I will give a step by step review on how the build go's! So far got a gen insert in it and TC SD bracelet on it! But cant wait to get these dull looking hands off it and change everything out! Again thank's on the feed back!

psa1YYQl.jpg

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
The 4000ft Club! It blows that darn DSSD one out of the water!
noname-20130408-123422.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.