• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

So I was at my local Rolex AD (BenBridge Jeweler) and....

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Ben Bridge does send them to training. But it's very basic. My friend was at a Tag Heuer training class last week. But it's more info on knowing the different models etc. They don't get into too much detail on movements.

Hermes is very different. The turnover ratio for their sales force is very low. They build relationships with their customers and are far more knowledgeable.

cwazy1

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/2/12
Yeah she said she had 2 weeks of training... apparently not enough.

ehhcl3537rwi

9/7/13
Yeah she said she had 2 weeks of training... apparently not enough.

You expect someone making barely more than minnimum wage to be knowledgeable about anything? LOL!!!!

I love whoever suggested calling over the manager. I'd start by telling them that their sales staff needs to be trained better and pointing out what BS line the person tried to use on you.

I'd finish by saying I won't be buying anything in this store for a little while, but I do hope when I come back to give you a second chance to earn my business you will have better trained staff.

Then of course I would flip my hand in a wave and leave the store.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
I don't see the point of embarrassing the sales person. They are just trying to make a sale. Like Smokie said earlier. I do my own research before buying anything. I don't believe a word that comes out of a salesperson's mouth.

mzcool

I'm Pretty Popular
2/6/13
You expect someone making barely more than minnimum wage to be knowledgeable about anything? LOL!!!!

I love whoever suggested calling over the manager. I'd start by telling them that their sales staff needs to be trained better and pointing out what BS line the person tried to use on you.

I'd finish by saying I won't be buying anything in this store for a little while, but I do hope when I come back to give you a second chance to earn my business you will have better trained staff.

Then of course I would flip my hand in a wave and leave the store.

I think they make much more than minimum wage. You need more than that to wear the watch of the brand you are selling, as most I've seen do, even with an employee discount.

cwazy1

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/2/12
I think they hover around 15$ an hour here in seattle.. minimum is already at 9.10$

zero_deficit

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/12
What they say to sell things to you is as good as whoever told them to say such things. We don't know if they're just doing their jobs saying what they were told to say, or actually lying to suck out some commission from an unsuspecting shopper

Xman

6/2/11
Just reading and thinking out loud here.... There is so much outsourcing in the industry that I think most of you would be blown away, this also applied to rolex until a few years ago. Now they are almost as vertically integrated As seiko....almost.

Just about every other "big brand" is guilty of outsourcing, ALS with cases, Vacheron with dials, AP with GP movements. The statement might not be as far off as you guys might think if we are talking truly vertical integration, after all rolex has a ballance spring to there name....can Patek say that? Lol

Just some food for thought boys....

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
I really don't understand how hard it is to know what you are selling.

It really is shocking how dumb some sales people are about the product their hocking. No matter what your selling if its dog shit or cars having the most knowledge of the product is key to your sales success. You would think thats common sense.

A couple of AD that i visit to check some watches back then, in the end
all they said is the same....
"THIS IS THE LAST PIECE, U WON'T BE ABLE TO FIND IT ANYWHERE ELSE"
wtf is that bs, i can find the exact watches in other AD shopping mall right across this mall.

LMFAO, I can't tell you how many times I've been told that I better buy now cause this is the last one.

Man, if you ever want to hear the cheesiest, least knowledgable salesmen in the world spout BS at you, go to a tourneau shop.

That place is a F'ing joke. Now sure they do carry a decent load of brand names there but they know shit about anything they sell. The store nearest me shut down years ago. I think customers began to catch on about how bad they getting F'ed on price.

I do my own research before buying anything. I don't believe a word that comes out of a salesperson's mouth.

I always go in prepared on just about anything I buy for that exact reason.

p662872

Horology Curious
22/11/13
Just about every other "big brand" is guilty of outsourcing, ALS with cases, Vacheron with dials, AP with GP movements. The statement might not be as far off as you guys might think if we are talking truly vertical integration, after all rolex has a ballance spring to there name....can Patek say that? Lol

I agree that there Rolex had made huge inroads in recent years in becoming a truly integrated operation. A recent article on ablogtowatch even pointed out that they even smelt their own gold for their cases. An amazing accomplishment, especially for a privately owned company.

Seiko on the other hand takes it to the next level. A truly in house manufacture, they even make their own lubricants to oil their movements! What other watch maker can boast that claim to fame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xman

6/2/11
I agree that there Rolex had made huge inroads in recent years in becoming a truly integrated operation. A recent article on ablogtowatch even pointed out that they even smelt their own gold for their cases. An amazing accomplishment, especially for a privately owned company.

Seiko on the other hand takes it to the next level. A truly in house manufacture, they even make their own lubricants to oil their movements! What other watch maker can boast that claim to fame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly! ;)
I think there is a misunderstanding in the hobby to what in house means to these companies. Example the tag 1887 movement (ya the "seiko" one..) in house right? Try somewhere like 22 different parts suppliers to make that movement. Really makes you respect rolex's efforts and companies like seiko!

ressmeplz

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
4/12/12
The sales woman tried to sell rolex to me as only 1 in 3 brands that do all in house work for their watches... the other two being patek and cartier

face fuckn :facepalm:

I asked her what about audemars piguet, vacheron constantin, alange. She said they didnt make all in house and that rolex was best.

I looked at her and walked out of the store.

:facepalm:
AP currently don't do all in house...the chrono movement of the offshore...for example...is an AP caliber with a Dubois Depraz module...many grand complications are made by Renauld&Papi.
And Many pieces of the vintage production have inside movement by Frederique Piguet and Jaeger le coultre.

Same story for Patek and Vacheron...in the old chronos you can find ome Lemania, Valijoux and JLC.

And all the basic production of Cartier have an ETA inside...similar story for many Breguet

EDIT: I've forgot to say that the movement of the modern Patek Calatrava, the 215, it's made by JLC