• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Member dispute, am I being unreasonable?

watchman12345

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/06
I recently sold an AP diver to a member. This guy is a member on repgeek since 2008.

Anyway, the watch was perfect but it apparently arrived DOA. I sold it with no warranty, but I said to him I would pay half the repair cost, or he can return it to me and when I receive it I will refund him.

Now he said he is threatening to open a paypal dispute. What did I do wrong here? Quite worried about this.

What is the normal proocedure for DOA? He said I didn;t wrap it well but it was in loads of bubblewrap inside a cardboard box I got from a dealer inside a padded envelope!

Cheers.

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
Where did you sell it, on Repgeek? If so send a mod on there a pm, I personally think your being more than reasonable! And probably more than I would be :popcorn:

watchman12345

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/06
I sold it here. the member is new here but has been on repgeek since 2008. I opened a ticket here to get the mods input.

Anyway, I have offered him to return it and when I receive it I will refund him. Not sure what else I can do.

watchman12345

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/06
To be fair to the member, about the paypal claim he said "I will do it if it will be the only way"

Although I don't really know what else I can do.

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
I sold it here. the member is new here but has been on repgeek since 2008. I opened a ticket here to get the mods input.

Anyway, I have offered him to return it and when I receive it I will refund him. Not sure what else I can do.

Ahh ok, opening a ticket was the right thing to do, I'm sure someone will get back to you soon!

kazin326

Known Member
24/9/09
Give the guy your phone number because this kind of thing could be talked out over voice/phone much more reasonably than through email. That's what I would do in my opinion. However, the initial aspect of the issue having it documented with email or messages back and forth is good as well for both your protection. You are being very reasonable here and making it public u could also invite him into this post so that he knows your not trying to rip him off and it will get handled. I wish u the best with this

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

Billd

27/6/13
New York City Area
I've only purchased on PAM on this forum and have yet to sell one here. But I do have a lot of experience with eBay sales and purchases. Speaking as both a buyer and seller, I can't think of a better, fairer response than what you have done. It's exactly what I would have done in this situation and have done a couple times on eBay when a buyer didn't like or changed his mind on a purchase once received.

Incidentally, I agree with the chap you suggested the direct phone connection. If the buyer refuses that, then he has another agenda.

my two cents

my two cents

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
You're being more than reasonable and you're obviously not trying to rip antibody off.
I'm not an expert, but, as stated, I think inviting him to this thread could help the buyer realise that. It would work with me, at least.

Hope the matter gets solved fast.

tt88

㊙️ Time does not wait ㊙️
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
15/9/12
Village, of course
Full refund upon receiving it? That's damn reasonable. Why is there even need of a dispute?

watchman12345

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/06
Apparently I am responsible for the watch arriving DOA by either selling it broken, or not packing it properly. Neither of which is true.

Hopefully a PP dispute is not necessary. If he does not trust me to return the funds I will agree to pay the funds to a trusted member, who can then send the funds to him when the tracking shows delivered to me.

I can not afford this at the moment as I am saving for my second instalment of college fees after Christmas, but it was never my intention for a member to end up with a broken watch and I'll sort it.

I'm a member here for 7 years, and have sold many watches without one complaint that I did not fix. I always understood DOAs to be a part of the risk we take, but this guy obviously has different ideas.

WatchnScotch

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
10/12/10
Watch was sold without warranty, was working when it left your hands, was packed properly... I think offering him anything is more than you would have to.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

redrising

I'm Pretty Popular
23/4/12
Buyer is being extremely unreasonable. It's good that you opened a ticket. Hopefully the mods will resolve it soon. Not sure if buyer knows this but it is best to remind him that opening a PP dispute without approval is a ban-able offense.

Tonyy

Renowned Member
3/7/13
You're being way more than reasonable. Paying for half the repair cost or refund in full if he ships back? Sounds like a great seller to me.

If he'd rather file a dispute than take you up on your offers then he's a douche and just wants trouble.

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
Both in EU

Ok so he could send it to a nearby forum repair guy.I think your offer of 50/50 on the fix is really generous of you.I dont know what else you could do.I'm sure the mods will sort this out for you but who needs the stress of it all.if the buyer is following this thread he should calm down as it maybe a simple fix and he has been offered options.I hope if this happens to me a get a seller with your integrity.

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
Its all been said already and I agree with all the above. You are doing way more than you owe the buyer. If something is sold w/o warranty, that's exactly what it is. I understand there is a potential liability as a seller, which is why there's a variety of warranties you may offer... including none. There's nothing wrong with that either. The buyer made the purchase knowing you weren't offering a warranty.

Also, being a member of rg for years and new here wouldn't make me feel more comfortable at all. They do things differently over there. When selling, there isn't even an option for warranty... which will lead to issues like this.