• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Lawyers.....

JasonGSD

Known Member
6/6/13
My 86 year old grandfather got hit by some 16 year old girl last month and has been in the hospital since. Today I found out State Farm isn't doing anything because another lawyer is involved on his behalf. I call my grandfather and he says he remembers some lawyer followed them to the hospital and right as he was admitted and given shots had him sign something, he has no idea what.......she won't return my calls. Such is my life.......

Jaybo

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/13
Write a letter to the ambulance chasing lawyer terminating their representation of you (provided that's what g'dad wants to do). Send it certified and make them sign for it.

Write a letter to the insurance company and tell them that you've terminated the contract between g'dad and attorney and that they may now deal with you directly.

Also, RIGHT NOW, you need to go to an attorney and have them draw up power of attorney documents for your g'dad (healthcare poa, durable poa, hippa release, and living will). This will allow you to conduct business on his behalf with the insurance company and will be a tool that you need in place, when and if, you need to do estate planning, medicaid planning/nursing home, etc. in the future.

JasonGSD

Known Member
6/6/13
Ugh now the story changes. Lawyer calls me back, "actually your grandfathers dr referred me to him and I met him and his wife at home. I would be glad to drop it, just let me know."

rhp1462

Mythical Poster
20/2/13
My 86 year old grandfather got hit by some 16 year old girl last month and has been in the hospital since. Today I found out State Farm isn't doing anything because another lawyer is involved on his behalf. I call my grandfather and he says he remembers some lawyer followed them to the hospital and right as he was admitted and given shots had him sign something, he has no idea what.......she won't return my calls. Such is my life.......

What a dbag. He followed him to hospital? Pathetic.

Sent from 1:1 app made with gen tapatalk

Ruski91

Put Some Respect On My Name
12/10/12
Write a letter to the ambulance chasing lawyer terminating their representation of you (provided that's what g'dad wants to do). Send it certified and make them sign for it.

Write a letter to the insurance company and tell them that you've terminated the contract between g'dad and attorney and that they may now deal with you directly.

Also, RIGHT NOW, you need to go to an attorney and have them draw up power of attorney documents for your g'dad (healthcare poa, durable poa, hippa release, and living will). This will allow you to conduct business on his behalf with the insurance company and will be a tool that you need in place, when and if, you need to do estate planning, medicaid planning/nursing home, etc. in the future.

+1000

These guys are such scumbags, actually referred to as ambulance chasers here in the states. Pathetic excuses for lawyers who do not have enough clients to run a successful practice of their own and are too dreadful to be considered at a legit legal firm. DO your best to get rid of this D'bag before he takes everything your grandfather has. God knows what he had him sign while they were taking care of him at the hospital.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
dewey%2Bcheatem%2Band%2Bhowe.JPG

Rush2112

Renowned Member
27/4/13
Not sure where you are but, at least here in FL, you would be able to contact another lawyer that would terminate the relationship and report them to the bar. You would not owe them any money and would be due a refund if any money was paid.

Jaybo

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/13
In Arkansas a client can unilaterally terminate an attorney. No problem, happens all the time.

Things to consider. This is your grandfather's matter, not yours. He is the one that should make the decision to fire or keep working with the current attorney.

And don't file an ethics complaint. It's ridiculous that the guy "followed him" to the hospital, but don't put him thru the stress of dealing with the ethics committee. In our state an attorney has to wait a certain amount of days after the accident before they can randomly solicit a client.

If this was a referral, there is no harm in him signing him up immediately. Remember too, most attorneys are busy, she is going to return your call.

JasonGSD

Known Member
6/6/13
Sorry guys been busy with all this stuff all day, yknow on top of my full time job. I'd love to not be tied into this but if I don't handle it nobody will and my grandfather simply can't.

Not sure if my earlier post actually posted or not but I was finally able to get a hold of the attorney and she told me that she didn't meet him at the hospital she met him at home and she was referred by his primary care physician. So it seems as though this is potentially legit currently.

She was not very pleased when I repeated my grandfathers story to her, nor would I be.

Anyway so now we are waiting for a police report which in Los Angeles supposedly takes 12 weeks. My grandfather doesn't know or have his license plate number so I'm unsuccessfully locating where his car was towed (found the vin number going to call lapd tomorrow to see if that works).

It's honestly such a mess that I was trying to avoid but in the end when there's noone else what are you going to do. But on the plus side, my job was pissed off at me for making all of 3 personal phone calls today.

Thanks for all of the information and help everyone, much appreciated and I'll try to update you all, if you care as I get more info. Have a great night, morning or afternoon.

arcadia

Put Some Respect On My Name
11/8/11
It's honestly such a mess that I was trying to avoid but in the end when there's no one else what are you going to do. But on the plus side, my job was pissed off at me for making all of 3 personal phone calls today.

Screw that job. It's your grandpa you're dealing with.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Look for a new job, chances are this one will not last long.

JasonGSD

Known Member
6/6/13
Eating my eggs and bacon couldn't have been better while reading the last 3 comments.