• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why do you think that high-end replicas aren't sold in your countries?

watchcollector

Renowned Member
23/9/10
Why do you think that no one is selling these high-end replicas in your countries? At least in my country there is a poor selection of watch replicas on the market, and most of them are low-end replicas, most of them using cheap movements like quartz or 21j...

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Um, maybe because it's highly illegal?
I could sell 100s a month at my shop but I'd rather stay out of court and clear of Rolex/Hublot/Panerai lawyers thank you.

cw71

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/10/11
'cos it's illegal. Simple as that.

It's actually a good thing that the quality of reps we can buy are a little tricky to come by.

I just wish they were all AR coated and had super luminova on them from the factory, but you cant have everything.

watchcollector

Renowned Member
23/9/10
I don't think so...THERE ARE sellers here, in my country, who are ALREADY selling illegally replicas. One important mention has to be made - they all recognize that those products are not genuine. The products ARE SOLD AS FAKES. The problem is that they only sell low-end, shitty replicas, not high-end. I think that the legal risk is exactly the same, it doesn't count you're selling high-end or low-end replicas, as both are fakes punished by local laws... By the way, I'm a lawyer... :D

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Why do you think that no one is selling these high-end replicas in your countries? At least in my country there is a poor selection of watch replicas on the market, and most of them are low-end replicas, most of them using cheap movements like quartz or 21j...

It could be a language thing, but your second sentence doesn't make any sense....

cw71

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/10/11
I don't think so...THERE ARE sellers here, who are ALREADY selling illegally replicas. The problem is that they only sell low end, shitty replicas, not high-end. I think that the legal risk is exactly the same, it doesn't count you're selling high-end or low-end replicas, as both are fakes punished by local laws... By the way, I'm a lawyer... :D

Yes, but in countries like the UK a shop selling fake watches would not last very long before the authorities shut it down.

If you have hundreds ar even a few watches you have paid $1-200 dollars each for, that is a lot of money to lose. Plus the probable prison sentance. Plus losing the legal side of your business as well.

In addition to that, as Trailboss said, you would have the lawyers of the genuine watch companies hauling you through the courts if you were selling reps on a reasonably large scale basis in the UK, US, Australia etc.

I have spent most of this year in Thailand, and there are hundeds of shops selling reps as the authorities really dont care. The challenge, though, is to find a shop you trust who have good reps, and will fix them if there are any problems.

watchcollector

Renowned Member
23/9/10
It could be a language thing, but your second sentence doesn't make any sense....

Excuse my poor english, as it's not my native language... :)
I wanted to say that in my country are sold only low-end replicas, with cheap movements, 99% of them having inside either a quartz movement, either a 21j movement. I hope all is clear now. :)

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
It's a lot easier to lose a bunch of cheap replicas in a raid than a bunch of high ends when they get confiscated. Too much risk...

watchcollector

Renowned Member
23/9/10
Yes, but in countries like the UK a shop selling fake watches would not last very long before the authorities shut it down.

If you have hundreds ar even a few watches you have paid $1-200 dollars each for, that is a lot of money to lose. Plus the probable prison sentance. Plus losing the legal side of your business as well.

In addition to that, as Trailboss said, you would have the lawyers of the genuine watch companies hauling you through the courts if you were selling reps on a reasonably large scale basis in the UK, US, Australia etc.

I have spent most of this year in Thailand, and there are hundeds of shops selling reps as the authorities really dont care. The challenge, though, is to find a shop you trust who have good reps, and will fix them if there are any problems.

In my country all these watches are sold online, on auction local websites similar to ebay, for example, or on stand-alone local websites with relevant names like (in translation) fakewatches.ro or replicawatches.ro
And it seems that nobody stopped them in any way to do this untill now.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Excuse my poor english, as it's not my native language... :)
I wanted to say that in my country are sold only low-end replicas, with cheap movements, 99% of them having inside either a quartz movement, either a 21j movement. I hope all is clear now. :)

Whether high end or low end, reps are illegal no matter where you are....Makes buying and selling out in the open very risky and not worth the trouble...

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
I will say that the chinese recognize the higher profit together with the risk of getting caught and higher loss..

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Yes but in most countries NO replicas are sold. Those that are pass under the table in back rooms. It simply isn't worth the risk. They raided one of the local markets a few weeks back and closed down a few stalls. The fines ranged between 2500 dollars to over 30,000 dollars. that is before the companies whose trademarks were infringed have their go in civil court.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
I think they sell cheap ones because they make more money with them.

I've been offered a cheap sub in the street of Florence, Italy, a few years back. The guy was asking 80 euros. Even after negociation that's still something like 50 euros, for a watch that's most likely worth $20 or less out of the GZ market. That's a huge margin, and at 50 euros you can expect a lot of people to express interest, or at least more than for 200 euros watches.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
I believe that most fake buyers are not ready to put money in fakes...
If they pay more than 50 usd, they feel it's not a bargain anymore.
It's curious to see that most people whom I show my watches as reps won't believe me, as they are taught that fakes are POS, and think there's nothing else on the market : so dealers provide them POS, as this is what they look for.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Hi watchcollector.
IMO replica buyers in the street are not willing to spend more 80-90 € for a replica.
They don’t even know there is a market of expensive good reps. The expensive reps have not market on the street.

People who know the expensive replicas exist, don’t need buy in the street and don't trust buying in the street. Therefore the street is not the place for expensive replicas.

Sellers in the street can get replicas for 20-25€ and sell tem for more 50€ or even 90€. If the seller has not scruples can even say that the replica is Swiss and sell it for 200 or 300 €, I know a lot of cases like this. The margin is very big and they don’t need have good, serious and expensive replicas, because the rep connoisseur will not go to the street to buy his treasures.

mt666tm

Renowned Member
2/2/10
In most countries it is illegal to "sell" replicas due to copyright infringement, but it is not illegal to "own" them, therefore it is not illegal to purchase them from sellers in other countries and simply own them in your country.

If I were to sell high end reps, which I would absolutely LOVE to do, I would need to invest a considerable amount of $ in inventory, and I don't think I'd be in business for very long as it would not take too long to track down the source of such wares, so why bother stocking up on top quality reps when faced with the imminent threat of seizure ... on the + side you'd start seeing police officers wearing AP and Hublot much like Chief Wiggum wearing 'Counterfeit Jeans' ;)

wiggum.png

arcadia

Put Some Respect On My Name
11/8/11
I think they sell cheap ones because they make more money with them.

+1.

Direct from stall owners I personally know: It is more profitable to sell ten 21Js than one high-end rep. There are more easy buyers for a less than $100 watch than with a $300 watch. And mind you, these aren’t even frankens yet. I saw 2 perfectly aligned cheap SubC in the market today, left, had lunch and went back. They were instantly sold to tourists. All the while the BCE v3 I have been checking out for a couple of months is still there unsold. That is money tied up than could have been used to sell 2 more of those cheap SubC.

Despite our increasing number here and at the other forums, we are still a very minute population against the much bigger mass market. When they do find a customer much like ours who deals with high-end reps that is the only time they pre-order for something we want to buy. Like in any other business, a dead inventory is money wasted.

PecMan

4/5/09
easy , in my country 90% of the people thinks that a gen rolex is about $500
so no one would pay more than $200 for any replica watch , plus they dont care about movements or anything like that , if it looks ok that is a deal

giobo

6/5/10
There is a shop in the center of the biggest city of my country and he sells all kind of reps...Some of them are high end some are crap..The prices are good for some of them and sometimes i have taken watches there because i qc immediatelly by myself..He has hi end hublot,rolex,iwc etc....Believe me many cops are passing in front of the store and noone cares